File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
23/01/2017 Sent: 24/01/2017 via Xpress Post
Soooooo.... I inquired with Canada Customs regarding importing my partners vehicle. We ended up getting on the topic of "flag-polling" and she was telling me that it's not enough to just go to the boarder as that is a "neutral zone" that we actually have to leave the neutral zone and be in US before returning. Huh? How have I never heard of this? Anyone wanna weigh in on this and help me out? Thank you.

Tinabuchan

Oct 2, 2016
True. I just did it on November 20. I crossed back to the US at Blaine, Pacific Hwy border crossing. I told the US officer I was flag polling. They sent me inside for a bit and looked at my paperwork. They turned me around to the Canadian side and I presented my paperwork to the officer. She sent me inside. A wonderful, friendly and kind officer processed my paperwork. It took less than 20 minutes. I declared my vehicle as goods to follow on my B1 form since I didn't have the paperwork ready to do it that day.

I went back across to export/import my car on December 15th. It was very involved. I had to stay in Bellingham for 72 hours prior to exporting from the US. It's labor intensive but can be done. My car was only a year old with less than 12,000 miles on it so it made no sense to sell it and buy another in Canada, even with the exchange rate. It's a ton of paperwork but can be accomplished methodically.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Stevin said:
Soooooo.... I inquired with Canada Customs regarding importing my partners vehicle. We ended up getting on the topic of "flag-polling" and she was telling me that it's not enough to just go to the boarder as that is a "neutral zone" that we actually have to leave the neutral zone and be in US before returning. Huh? How have I never heard of this? Anyone wanna weigh in on this and help me out? Thank you.
This means you can't just do what used to be allowed. Immediately before the US border post is going to be a 'last chance to re-enter Canada' lane, which turns sharply into a U, and joins the road from the US towards the Canadian border post. (Applies to major road crossings. Equivalent on minor road crossings is doing a three point turn while between the two of them). It used to be okay to use that road, and simply present at the Canadian border post, hence the term 'flagpoling', as the flag of the country was normally inside this road, so you would go to the border, drive around the flagpole, and return.

For some time, people have been required to physically present at the US border, and either enter the USA, or get an administrative refusal, before re-entering Canada having left Canada (whereas in the original scenario, you would re-enter without leaving).