+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag Polling with our valid Canadian Visa

Karachi1978

Mar 28, 2017
Hi,
I do have a valid work permit upto Jan 2018 but i do not have any valid Canadian Work visa as it was expired on Last Month. My PR got approved and plan to do a flag polling shortly at Niagara.
The question is, Still my Work Visa got expired, am i eligible to do a flag polling. I understand i do have PR Visa,but let's say if the Canadian Border office is busy and if they say come tomorrow, then am i eligible to back to Canada without valid Canada visa and not done the PR landing.

Thanks

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

They will never say that! They have to process your application. That is the whole point/reason of doing a flagpole. You go out, and you come back in to get processed! They can't leave you out on the other side! Your PR visa is good enough for your entry to Canada. Also if you want to save time, go there before or after rush hour, I did it at midnight at Peach Arch and got it done in less than 30 minutes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I do have a valid work permit upto Jan 2018 but i do not have any valid Canadian Work visa as it was expired on Last Month. My PR got approved and plan to do a flag polling shortly at Niagara.
The question is, Still my Work Visa got expired, am i eligible to do a flag polling. I understand i do have PR Visa,but let's say if the Canadian Border office is busy and if they say come tomorrow, then am i eligible to back to Canada without valid Canada visa and not done the PR landing.

Thanks
Hi

Yes, you will be allowed back into Canada if they don't process your landing.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

They will never say that! They have to process your application. That is the whole point/reason of doing a flagpole. You go out, and you come back in to get processed! They can't leave you out on the other side! Your PR visa is good enough for your entry to Canada. Also if you want to save time, go there before or after rush hour, I did it at midnight at Peach Arch and got it done in less than 30 minutes.
Yes, they may very well say that. Many border crossings refuse to land people at certain times or when busy.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Yes, they may very well say that. Many border crossings refuse to land people at certain times or when busy.
I've never heard of this. Is there anywhere I can dig more about this? I couldn't find a thread either! Curious to know how they refuse landing to people!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I've never heard of this. Is there anywhere I can dig more about this? I couldn't find a thread either! Curious to know how they refuse landing to people!
I know someone who was turned five times 2-3 months ago because they were only doing landing for flagpoles during certain time periods and only if they are not busy.

Note: busy was not defined by the number of people coming in apparently.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I know someone who was turned five times 2-3 months ago because they were only doing landing for flagpoles during certain time periods and only if they are not busy.

Note: busy was not defined by the number of people coming in apparently.
I'm sorry (and I don't mean to sound ignorant) but I find that very hard to believe. They are either pulling your leg or it's a made up story! Personally I have done flagpoles 4 times (three times for permit processing and one time for landing), and they have to process your case, be it a permit or landing as a PR. They just have to deal with it, it's THE protocol. You walk out, you walk back in, and you get processed. Now they might not land you because you might be missing some documents in your application (which is a different story), in which case, either you have a permit to get back into the country, or you don't. If you don't, at this point they lay out two options for you: 1/ Either they will give you a notice on a white paper to leave the country within a time limit which is 30 days or 2/ they will issue you a visitor permit so you can get your act together. In both cases you can do another flagpole and land. Meaning you will be let in regardless! Meaning your have gone through the process.

Now these all being said, again I am super curious to know more if they ever turn people back by just saying 'we don't do landing flagpoles at certain times of the day' or 'we're just busy'. And unfortunately just knowing someone would not cut it for me. So if you ever stumble upon a written document with a reliable source, please do get back to this thread and reference it. I appreciate that.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I'm sorry (and I don't mean to sound ignorant) but I find that very hard to believe. They are either pulling your leg or it's a made up story! Personally I have done flagpoles 4 times (three times for permit processing and one time for landing), and they have to process your case, be it a permit or landing as a PR. They just have to deal with it, it's THE protocol. You walk out, you walk back in, and you get processed. Now they might not land you because you might be missing some documents in your application (which is a different story), in which case, either you have a permit to get back into the country, or you don't. If you don't, at this point they lay out two options for you: 1/ Either they will give you a notice on a white paper to leave the country within a time limit which is 30 days or 2/ they will issue you a visitor permit so you can get your act together. In both cases you can do another flagpole and land. Meaning you will be let in regardless! Meaning your have gone through the process.

Now these all being said, again I am super curious to know more if they ever turn people back by just saying 'we don't do landing flagpoles at certain times of the day' or 'we're just busy'. And unfortunately just knowing someone would not cut it for me. So if you ever stumble upon a written document with a reliable source, please do get back to this thread and reference it. I appreciate that.
I have read about it on this forum as well. Here is an un-official account of it. At the time I called CBSA and they did indeed agree that this is in effect with no update on the CBSA site.

http://immigrationblog.ca.pwc.com/blog/canada-immigration-news/flag-poling-restricted-during-peak-periods-in-southern-ontario-region

To be fair, I was of the same view as you are and did not believe my friend when he told me.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I have read about it on this forum as well. Here is an un-official account of it. At the time I called CBSA and they did indeed agree that this is in effect with no update on the CBSA site.

http://immigrationblog.ca.pwc.com/blog/canada-immigration-news/flag-poling-restricted-during-peak-periods-in-southern-ontario-region

To be fair, I was of the same view as you are and did not believe my friend when he told me.
Interesting! Good to know! Thanks for the link. I guess this is one of the reasons that they are launching landing-over-the-phone protocol soon. In all honesty I found the whole process pretty stone-aged myself. If you are in Canada already and have a landing Visa stamped why would you ever want to physically get out and back in to get the documents processed?

Regardless, thanks for the link and the update.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

There are numerous threads about this topic, such as this one https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rainbow-bridge-pr-landing-failed.501556/. If you still find it hard to believe, give CBSA a call; they will confirm it.