+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag poling to convert visitor visa to work permit

Abhuller

Jan 6, 2018
Hi,

I am based in India and have just recd a LMIA from my prospective employer in Canada but the processing times in my home country are indicated as 3 months. Since it is a long time my employer is not willing to wait that long.

Hence need guidance if it is feasibile to enter canada on a visitor permit and then do flag polling to convert the visitor visa into a work permit since I have job offer supported by LMIA.

Thanks & regards,

Reactions: YPal

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Hi,

I am based in India and have just recd a LMIA from my prospective employer in Canada but the processing times in my home country are indicated as 3 months. Since it is a long time my employer is not willing to wait that long.

Hence need guidance if it is feasibile to enter canada on a visitor permit and then do flag polling to convert the visitor visa into a work permit since I have job offer supported by LMIA.

Thanks & regards,
the best thing you can do is fly to the US and then cross the border into Canada and apply for the work permit. Please keep also in mind that CBSA has introduced specific time slots for processing study/work permits as priority is given to arrivals seeking entrance as Permanent Resident.

satyavada

Jun 1, 2018
the best thing you can do is fly to the US and then cross the border into Canada and apply for the work permit. Please keep also in mind that CBSA has introduced specific time slots for processing study/work permits as priority is given to arrivals seeking entrance as Permanent Resident.
What kind of visit visa would it be and please explain about the Proof of Means of Financial Support (required): Do we have to provide employee or employer details as it would an official visit and not the personal.

Teji93

Dec 20, 2017
Can you give suggestion on following case:
A person is Indian, but currently in USA on work permit.
He also have valid Canada visitor visa.
Later on he received a Job offer with valid LMIA from Canadian Employer.

While traveling to Canada from USA via car..can he can ask CBSA to convert visitor visa to work permit.

Coconutmom

Oct 10, 2018
Hi may i ask how the process went? My filipino husband is also in canada as tourist w valid lmia. However he was declined by a work permit at toronto airport. VO said he should get work permit outside canada. In this case can we do flagpoling?

Thanks