+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Five year eligibility period

K. Loli

Sep 11, 2018
Hi all,
I came to Canada as a Permanent resident on 2016-03, i am planning to apply for my citizenship. In the application form 11th question about the 5 year eligibility period inside and outside Canada. Does i need to mention from 2015 which i was working backhome. What they mean by the 5 year eligibility period is that the expiry date of current PR card?
Answers will be helpful.

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
5 years eligibility period is 5 years immediately before you submit your citizenship form to CIC.
For example if you submit your form on 16 May 2020 then your 5 years eligibility period is from 16 May 2015 to 16 May 2020 regardless of whether you were in Canada or outside Canada.

Reactions: K. Loli

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hi all,
I came to Canada as a Permanent resident on 2016-03, i am planning to apply for my citizenship. In the application form 11th question about the 5 year eligibility period inside and outside Canada. Does i need to mention from 2015 which i was working backhome. What they mean by the 5 year eligibility period is that the expiry date of current PR card?
Answers will be helpful.
5 years means (the day you sign the application form - 5 years)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,
Answers will be helpful.
Plain and simple. 5 years is 5 years. If you are submitting your application on 16 May 2020, then 5 years would be the period between 16 May 2015 -> 16 May 2020.

And yes, you would have to provide all information (addresses / work / periods of unemployment / periods of self-employment / periods of study etc) in those 5 years both inside AND outside Canada irrespective of whether you had a legal status in Canada (PR, TR etc) Canada or not.

Last edited:

K. Loli

Sep 11, 2018
Plain and simple. 5 years is 5 years. If you are submitting your application on 16 May 2020, then 5 years would be the period between 16 May 2015 -> 16 May 2020.

And yes, you would have to provide all information (addresses / work / periods of unemployment / periods of self-employment / periods of study etc) in those 5 years both inside AND outside Canada irrespective of whether you had a legal status in Canada (PR, TR etc) Canada or not.
Thanks for the very clear answer.

K. Loli

Sep 11, 2018
Hi all,
In the application form 11the question during the 5 yr eligibility we need to mention our employment details,studies,unemployment etc in and outside Canada. My question is does we need to mention our vacation periods backhome?( For ex. Every year i went to backhome for vacation) On the 10th question, we already provides complete details of our inside outside address and also in the online physical calculater.

Your answer will be helpful.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,
In the application form 11the question during the 5 yr eligibility we need to mention our employment details,studies,unemployment etc in and outside Canada. My question is does we need to mention our vacation periods backhome?( For ex. Every year i went to backhome for vacation) On the 10th question, we already provides complete details of our inside outside address and also in the online physical calculater.

Your answer will be helpful.
I believe the 11th question isn't about your travels. It is more about what you were doing in life (studying / working / retired / uneemployed / self-employed etc).