+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First travel to US on Canadian passport - sent to secondary inspection

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
I got my Canadian passport last year in November and traveled to US for the first time on it this month. I was sent to secondary inspection where they opened my bags, patted me down and DHS officer asked me the usual questions - where am I going, how long for and my profession. Before this, I also traveled to US regularly as a Canadian PR but was never sent to secondary inspection. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it likely to become a regular occurrence? Should I apply for Nexus to make my travels easier? Any advice is appreciated.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
If you are eligible, always apply for Nexus if you are frequent traveler to the US.

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Was this the case for travel by land or by air? In addition to Nexus would also suggest to apply for
https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip which is great help to remove (in most cases) the hassle of secondary inspection at least when it comes to travel by air.
Nevertheless keep in mind both DHS Redress and Nexus are no guarantee that secondary inspection will become obsolete.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I got my Canadian passport last year in November and traveled to US for the first time on it this month. I was sent to secondary inspection where they opened my bags, patted me down and DHS officer asked me the usual questions - where am I going, how long for and my profession. Before this, I also traveled to US regularly as a Canadian PR but was never sent to secondary inspection. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it likely to become a regular occurrence? Should I apply for Nexus to make my travels easier? Any advice is appreciated.
Its possibly due to new country passport. Once they see same document next time, it should be alright in few days.

• Haha
Reactions: Jakev

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Was it at an airport or land border?

Secondary is many times random. Nothing to worry about per se. I've been sent for a few reasons, and its usually just for more clarifying questions. It does bump anxiety levels, no doubt, but is harmless unless there actually is an issue.

Nexus is definitely a good choice, anyway. Many CCs (TD APVI, CIBC APVI, etc.) reimburse the fees for that as well.

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Sometimes u get sent to secondary , sometimes u don’t . No big deal

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
I was in secondary inspection to enter Canada. Two agents, one was a woman and respectful, the other male agent comes and the first thing he says is "Why are you lying? Tell me what you are hiding. I know you are lying." while making body gestures like a spoiled child who didn't get the ice cream they wanted. The woman asked questions properly and when she realized there is nothing wrong, they didn't even open my last bag to check it, and she talked to the other agent to get me out of there.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. Fairly normal, I've been a CC for a great number of years, and still occasionally get sent to secondary.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Reactions: novascotia27