+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time travel to Canada from USA and domestic travel inside Canada

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Hello All,

I have received my CoPR email (12 July 2019) and the expiry date is 29 Nov 2019. I am planning to travel to Canada sometime in July or Aug'19 end.

In my case, I will also need to do a H1B Visa Stamping (For now, my location is Vancouver and PAI date is 27 Aug 2019). I am continuously monitoring my https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in page to check if I can reschedule it sooner and/or to Ottawa or Toronto, as this is super close to my USA address, New Jersey.

Anyways, while this is going on, I want to know a few things.
1. For my first time travel into Canada with CoPR, can I travel by air? In some blogs, they have mentioned about travelling into Canada via air, but the answers are not clear. Please let me know if we are good to travel into Canada via air for first time with CoPR.
2. My family (spouse and 2 kids) already have their H1B visa stamped. So, I would like to send them back into USA as soon as their PR initiation is done by the officer. In this case, can they travel back into USA via air? I am asking this because I wanted to know if there will be any confusions to board a flight from a Canadian airport with no valid Canadian address proof.
3. Also, in case we are travelling in Car into Canada, I will choose to enter Canada at the nearest point to New Jersey, will finish mine and my families' PR initiation and will send my dependents back into USA (via air, if allowed). Then I will need to travel to Vancouver from that port of entry. So, please let me know if I can use domestic airlines to travel within Canada (again, in my case too, I will be having only a CoPR and no valid Canadian documents otherwise).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Yes no problem travelling y air.

2. Yes the can return as soon as they have landed even on the same day. No problem leaving Canada. Flying into Canada is when you would need the PR card or a PRTD.

3. Yes no need need for PR card for domestic travel.

Reactions: bharanidharanek

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks @canuck78
Also, I can land in any airport in Canada to initiate the PR right?
Generally only if not a PNP applicant. If a PNP applicant you would need to show onward travel to your province that you obtained the nomination from else you run the risk of either being denied landing or having your COPR cancelled. You will always complete immigration formalities at the first POE. Final Point avoid trying to land anywhere in Quebec.

Reactions: bharanidharanek

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Generally only if not a PNP applicant. If a PNP applicant you would need to show onward travel to your province that you obtained the nomination from else you run the risk of either being denied landing or having your COPR cancelled. You will always complete immigration formalities at the first POE. Final Point avoid trying to land anywhere in Quebec.
Thanks, I am an EE cnadidate, not PNP. So I am good to choose any airports in Toronto, Ottawa or Vancouver right?

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Hi Guys,
How much long will the process at the CoPR officer/office/immigration process take when you enter Canada with CopR? I am planning to book return flight tickets and want to know how much time would it take with the process to complete at the airport alone?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi Guys,
How much long will the process at the CoPR officer/office/immigration process take when you enter Canada with CopR? I am planning to book return flight tickets and want to know how much time would it take with the process to complete at the airport alone?
Depends on which airport and how busy it is time of arrival. General recommendation for a connection for example would be allow a minimum of 3 hours , could be lot less could be more depends how many other new immigrants in line. Actual process takes hardly any time at all so the time is just a buffer.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since you are booking return flight I would be cautious and give yourself 5 hours. You also have to check-in and go back through security.

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Hello All,

I have received my CoPR email (12 July 2019) and the expiry date is 29 Nov 2019. I am planning to travel to Canada sometime in July or Aug'19 end.

In my case, I will also need to do a H1B Visa Stamping (For now, my location is Vancouver and PAI date is 27 Aug 2019). I am continuously monitoring my https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in page to check if I can reschedule it sooner and/or to Ottawa or Toronto, as this is super close to my USA address, New Jersey.

Anyways, while this is going on, I want to know a few things.
1. For my first time travel into Canada with CoPR, can I travel by air? In some blogs, they have mentioned about travelling into Canada via air, but the answers are not clear. Please let me know if we are good to travel into Canada via air for first time with CoPR.
2. My family (spouse and 2 kids) already have their H1B visa stamped. So, I would like to send them back into USA as soon as their PR initiation is done by the officer. In this case, can they travel back into USA via air? I am asking this because I wanted to know if there will be any confusions to board a flight from a Canadian airport with no valid Canadian address proof.
3. Also, in case we are travelling in Car into Canada, I will choose to enter Canada at the nearest point to New Jersey, will finish mine and my families' PR initiation and will send my dependents back into USA (via air, if allowed). Then I will need to travel to Vancouver from that port of entry. So, please let me know if I can use domestic airlines to travel within Canada (again, in my case too, I will be having only a CoPR and no valid Canadian documents otherwise).
Is there any reason why you need to get H1B stamping instead of using AVR?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If your spouse is on H1B (independent of you) then they can return to US on their own. If they are on H4 dependent upon you, then they may not be able to return on their own.