+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time Soft-landing on PR - Requesting help in regards to GTF list

careersuccess

Mar 14, 2019
Hi Everyone, We're preparing a Goods to follow list for our first Soft-landing and I wanted to understand the right way to declare Diamond-Gold Jewelry and some Silverware. Specifically, If we have original bills of purchase for the Jewelry, do we still need to get Jewelry appraised?

For the jewelry that we got as a family heirloom or gift, what do we need, if we don't have any documentation to show. Would pictures with approximate CAD value on the list suffice? Also, do we need appraisal or bill for Silverwares and silver god idols?

Secondly, how detailed has to be the GTF list, can you share some examples/format/categories that you may have used.Please help us with your experience and suggestions.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts that you can share, Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Everyone, We're preparing a Goods to follow list for our first Soft-landing and I wanted to understand the right way to declare Diamond-Gold Jewelry and some Silverware. Specifically, If we have original bills of purchase for the Jewelry, do we still need to get Jewelry appraised?

For the jewelry that we got as a family heirloom or gift, what do we need, if we don't have any documentation to show. Would pictures with approximate CAD value on the list suffice? Also, do we need appraisal or bill for Silverwares and silver god idols?

Secondly, how detailed has to be the GTF list, can you share some examples/format/categories that you may have used.Please help us with your experience and suggestions.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts that you can share, Thank you.
If you are "soft landing" you do not need to submit a BSF186 form at all. You only need to submit these when you return to stay in Canada for at least a year.

careersuccess

Mar 14, 2019
If you are "soft landing" you do not need to submit a BSF186 form at all. You only need to submit these when you return to stay in Canada for at least a year.
I've heard of some recent Landing experiences where folks were asked to show the DSF186 and BSF186A,during their first-time landing. As per their experience, they mentioned that customs officer prefers that you do GTF formalities at the time of first landing and they are reluctant to accepting it later when you actually land and thus I'm confused as there are conflicting information in regards to the GTF. What would be your suggestion ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I've heard of some recent Landing experiences where folks were asked to show the DSF186 and BSF186A,during their first-time landing. As per their experience, they mentioned that customs officer prefers that you do GTF formalities at the time of first landing and they are reluctant to accepting it later when you actually land and thus I'm confused as there are conflicting information in regards to the GTF. What would be your suggestion ?
The legislation is quite clear if you want to claim the "Settler" exemption. I stand by my previous response.

If it helps, read ALL of this page -> https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Especially the linked document(s) including http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.pdf

Last edited: