Med's Done....
29-02-2019
Passport Req..
01-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
10-04-2019
LANDED..........
16-05-2019
I searched the forum before creating this thread, i am creating it as i did not find any relevant information for my situation.

I landed in Canada on May 16 2019 and finished formalities for PR and went back to USA on May 19 2019. I worked in USA from Jan 2019 to Nov 2019.
On December 5th I moved permanently to Canada and started a job on Dec 9th, i was a resident of BC but stayed in a Airbnb.

Now I am filling tax return with a consultant and he is saying since i landed on may 16 2019, i need to show the USA income in the Canadian tax return to file for income tax return and he is asking for more charges than initially mentioned because of this change. I am not worried about paying the extra cash, but am worried if i am filling it incorrectly as i only moved in to Canada permanently in Dec 5 2019

Anyone been in similar situation where soft landed and went back and coming back within same year?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
I searched the forum before creating this thread, i am creating it as i did not find any relevant information for my situation.

I landed in Canada on May 16 2019 and finished formalities for PR and went back to USA on May 19 2019. I worked in USA from Jan 2019 to Nov 2019.
On December 5th I moved permanently to Canada and started a job on Dec 9th, i was a resident of BC but stayed in a Airbnb.

Now I am filling tax return with a consultant and he is saying since i landed on may 16 2019, i need to show the USA income in the Canadian tax return to file for income tax return and he is asking for more charges than initially mentioned because of this change. I am not worried about paying the extra cash, but am worried if i am filling it incorrectly as i only moved in to Canada permanently in Dec 5 2019

Anyone been in similar situation where soft landed and went back and coming back within same year?
You became a tax resident of Canada when you actually moved, i.e. December 5th. On the tax forms you will have to report:
a) Income from all sources (Canadian and foreign) since you became a tax resident (so December 5th to 31st) -> This is taxable by CRA, with possible credits given for foreign taxes paid on any foreign-earned amounts in this category.
b) Income from Canadian sources before you became a tax resident -> Also taxable by CRA (I am guessing you probably don't have to worry about this).
c) Foreign income before you became a tax resident (so your US/worldwide income from Jan 1st - Dec 4th) -> This income is generally not taxable by Canada, but they ask you to report it in order to know your income for the year and determine your eligibility for certain credits and programs.

You can google CRA's Newcomers to Canada pamphlet and it will have more details about all this.

Reactions: Jane2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you didn’t create any other ties to Canada before you moved in December you only became a tax resident then. Assume you didn’t have a spouse or dependent children, financial accounts, etc. in Canada before December.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I'd call the CRA for peace of mind. Landing doesn't mean you're a tax resident. There's a number of days you'd have to live in Canada to count as one. This is not professional opinion but I don't think you'd be considered a tax resident in 2019 but call and check.

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
As long as you didn’t create any other ties to Canada before you moved in December you only became a tax resident then. Assume you didn’t have a spouse or dependent children, financial accounts, etc. in Canada before December.
Quick question: I am currently staying at an AirBnb. I opened a bank account with a credit card yet with no money in it. I also got my SIN number. Otherwise, no job, leases or any other tie to Canada yet.. (I came to Canada in March of this year.) Would I have to pay income taxes for the time I am in Canada for the money I made in the US? Thanks in advance!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quick question: I am currently staying at an AirBnb. I opened a bank account with a credit card yet with no money in it. I also got my SIN number. Otherwise, no job, leases or any other tie to Canada yet.. (I came to Canada in March of this year.) Would I have to pay income taxes for the time I am in Canada for the money I made in the US? Thanks in advance!!
Was this money you earned before you landed as a PR?

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Was this money you earned before you landed as a PR?
Before and after -- essentially, I switched to remote working, I just came to Canada to validate my PR and stayed here because of the lockdowns, etc. Thus, I only have a bank account and a SIN as ties to Canada and no other tie really..

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before and after -- essentially, I switched to remote working, I just came to Canada to validate my PR and stayed here because of the lockdowns, etc. Thus, I only have a bank account and a SIN as ties to Canada and no other tie really..
If you live in Canada for over 6 months this year you'll need to pay taxes on your US income from after you landed.

Reactions: Jane2019