20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
keesio said:
It is easier for people to get into Canada first and then use it as a path to get into the USA.

It is the old "Canada as a stepping stone to the USA" technique. Once you get a Canadian citizenship, you qualify under NAFTA and it is easy to get a TN visa to hop over to the US to work and immigrate.

This is very common. That's why CIC looks suspiciously at non-American applicants who travel or are on a work visa (non TN) in the US while they were PR (risk for RQ). And also why they added that "intent to reside" clause in C-24. Canadians get really irritated when they feel Canada is being used to get to the USA.
Technically you cannot immigrate to US and get a green card through NAFTA TN visa. It is not a dual intent visa. So if one want to get Green card, they have to get H1B visa (dual intent) first. Once they get H1B visa then they qualify for green card. You cannot apply for a Green card holding a TN visa.

Screech339

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
probably not the first thing, but definitely THE thing I am looking for. Voting!
Particularly, I want to be a part of the upcoming federal elections where a landslide defeat of the current xenophobic policies and the establishment that shoved down our throat is imminent. A small part of mine in the magnificent task. Particularly Jason Kenney, Chris Alexander and their boss Stephen Harper himself, all I would democratically oppose to and voice in the need of real-democracy where ever possible.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I became a citizen this week and the first thing I'm doing is taking a little break/rest from all paperwork. Then I'll apply for a passport. Each year around Nov/Dec, a bus company in my city has 3-day trips to Maine for a reasonable price. People often go there for christmas shopping. I've always wanted to go, and now I can without a visa. Clothing is so expensive in Canada, that I shop online from the US and even with shipping, I get more of my money's worth.

I also look forward to voting. It will be my first time voting ever.

@ CanuckForEver, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you lived in Canada? The reason I ask is, anyone who came to Canada after say, 2007 or 2008 has only experienced one party(Conservatives) in power and consequently, may not have a previous experience to compare to.

As someone who has experienced live under the Liberals and now Conservatives, I can tell you the Conservatives have done a lot particularly for foreign students/foreign workers. Here's a few:
1) they created the off-campus work permit. Previously, there was only the LMO-type work permit.
2) created Canadian Experience Class. Previously, you could only use the skilled worker or provincial nominee program.
3) previously, you had 90 days(later increased to 120 days) to find work related to your field of studies in order to get a LMO. But the Conservatives created #1 and #2 above, which helped a lot.

Yes, the conservatives legislated the backlog away; however, the premise behind that decision is sound despite it being tough on many applicants. The truth is the Canadian labor market has changed over the years. We really don't need many more Doctors, Architects, Lawyers, etc driving taxis.

As for the new citizenship law, we have to also hold our fellow applicants accountable. Those who fraudulently claim residency days, citizens of convenience, etc. If they actually valued it more, perhaps the gov't won't have found a need for to change the law. There are some troubling aspects of it, but overall, if you remain on the right side of the law and truly intend to reside in Canada, this law shouldn't be a problem.

That said, this is not a campaign for you to vote for the PC party. lol Just a little perspective from someone who has experienced life under two parties. Don't even get me started on the NDP who came to power in my province, took our HST from 13%(lower by the Conservatives from 14% to 13%) to 15% and we are now in the red. They were voted out.

I would not count the PC party out just yet. People would actually have to vote and with participation at less than 50%, it's too early to predict.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
SenoritaBella said:
I became a citizen this week and the first thing I'm doing is taking a little break/rest from all paperwork. Then I'll apply for a passport. Each year around Nov/Dec, a bus company in my city has 3-day trips to Maine for a reasonable price. People often go there for christmas shopping. I've always wanted to go, and now I can without a visa. Clothing is so expensive in Canada, that I shop online from the US and even with shipping, I get more of my money's worth.
And you should also Shop for your Canadian Citizenship Aspirant Immigration Forum Friends! ;D

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Have my photos taken then apply passport next week ;D

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I saw that almost everybody is going for the passport right after the oath.

Can you still travel with your ancient passport (I mean enter to Canada)? Or you need the Canadian one if you are Canadian ?

Regards,

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Zumba369 said:

Can you still travel with your ancient passport (I mean enter to Canada)? Or you need the Canadian one if you are Canadian ?

Regards,
If you have urgent travel, the thing is you no longer have your PR card, coming back to Canada via airplane, if you have visa exempt passport you will be fine, but if not, the airline people will look for PR card and if you don't have it they won't allow you to board the plane. If coming back via land border, border officials will let you in with citizenship certificate.
So better have urgent processing passport application if you are not visa exempt rather than headache at the airport.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Zumba369 said:

Regards,
If you have a visa-exempt passport from where you immigrated from, you can still use that. The people who want a Canadian passport ASAP are ones who are originally from a country that is not visa-exempt and need a way to go back to Canada since they no longer have their PR card.

Technically though, you should use your Canadian passport to re-enter Canada. It will save potential hassle with CBSA. So everyone is recommend to get one eventually.

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pie_vancouver said:
If you have urgent travel, the thing is you no longer have your PR card, coming back to Canada via airplane, if you have visa exempt passport you will be fine, but if not, the airline people will look for PR card and if you don't have it they won't allow you to board the plane. If coming back via land border, border officials will let you in with citizenship certificate.
Thanks pie_vancouver.

I don't need a visa to enter Canada, however, I still ask for the passport to avoid any complication.

Thanks again.

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
First thing after citizenship, I applied for museum card which I had given during the ceremony. I had my first museum visit for free :)

Second, I will apply for passport very soon( two business days after ceremony).

Third, I will think about the stay at Canada or find somewhere else with better job opportunities. I haven't lived any other country, instead of gone for vacation for couple months. SO ,it is hard for me to compare with any other country.

Canada may be a great place to live .I think time will show that...

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
I don't understand why people want to move to US. If I wanted to live in US, I would have gotten the PR (green card) since day-1. You would get robbed faster in US than most developing countries. And if you ever come to an argument with people in US, road rage for example, don't ever look at the guy in his/her eyes, just look at his/her genital instead. Because if you look at his/her eyes, that could be a challenge, and he/she would take out a gun and shoot you. You know, most people have gun in their cars or bags in US.
And in US, don't ever come to an argument with police, even you did nothing wrong. They could beat you so bad or even kill you, and then walk away as a hero with nobody can touch them. They keep crying out loud about human right all over the world, calling other governments that refuse to follow their instructions as regimes, but US is the country with the most cops-killing-civilians case. My dad used to tell me, "America is a gangster wearing police uniform".

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
BLT said:
I don't understand why people want to move to US. If I wanted to live in US, I would have gotten the PR (green card) since day-1. You would get robbed faster in US than most developing countries. And if you ever come to an argument with people in US, road rage for example, don't ever look at the guy in his/her eyes, just look at his/her genital instead. Because if you look at his/her eyes, that could be a challenge, and he/she would take out a gun and shoot you. You know, most people have gun in their cars or bags in US.
And in US, don't ever come to an argument with police, even you did nothing wrong. They could beat you so bad or even kill you, and then walk away as a hero with nobody can touch them. They keep crying out loud about human right all over the world, calling other governments that refuse to follow their instructions as regimes, but US is the country with the most cops-killing-civilians case. My dad used to tell me, "America is a gangster wearing police uniform".
People like the US because of higher wages, less taxes and more job opportunities (especially in the health care industry).

Also a lot of what you mentioned is hype. There is certainly some truth to it but it is exaggerated as many Canadians tend to do. I speak from experience, I'm a dual citizen who as lived at least 15 years in each country. I proudly make Canada my home now but the US was a good place to live to. And I know many Canadians who left for better opportunities south and are quite happy where they are.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
keesio said:
People like the US because of higher wages, less taxes and more job opportunities (especially in the health care industry).

Also a lot of what you mentioned is hype. There is certainly some truth to it but it is exaggerated as many Canadians tend to do (as you dad did to you). I speak from experience, I'm a dual citizen who as lived at least 15 years in each country. I proudly make Canada my home now but the US was a good place to live to. And I know many Canadians who left for better opportunities south and are quite happy where they are.
You want a better opportunity? Go to Asia. But for business opportunity, not working. Like Jim Rogers (famous investor) said, "If you were smart, in 1800s you went to London. In 1900s you went to New York. In 2000s you go to Asia". You can see many new comers from Asia, first time they landed in Vancouver, the few first things to do are get a mansion and new Ferrari. Not only from China, but also from Taiwan, South East Asia, Korea, etc. But mostly from China though.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
@ CanuckForEver, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you lived in Canada? The reason I ask is, anyone who came to Canada after say, 2007 or 2008 has only experienced one party(Conservatives) in power and consequently, may not have a previous experience to compare to.

As someone who has experienced live under the Liberals and now Conservatives, I can tell you the Conservatives have done a lot particularly for foreign students/foreign workers. Here's a few:
1) they created the off-campus work permit. Previously, there was only the LMO-type work permit.
2) created Canadian Experience Class. Previously, you could only use the skilled worker or provincial nominee program.
3) previously, you had 90 days(later increased to 120 days) to find work related to your field of studies in order to get a LMO. But the Conservatives created #1 and #2 above, which helped a lot.

Yes, the conservatives legislated the backlog away; however, the premise behind that decision is sound despite it being tough on many applicants. The truth is the Canadian labor market has changed over the years. We really don't need many more Doctors, Architects, Lawyers, etc driving taxis.

As for the new citizenship law, we have to also hold our fellow applicants accountable. Those who fraudulently claim residency days, citizens of convenience, etc. If they actually valued it more, perhaps the gov't won't have found a need for to change the law. There are some troubling aspects of it, but overall, if you remain on the right side of the law and truly intend to reside in Canada, this law shouldn't be a problem.

That said, this is not a campaign for you to vote for the PC party. lol Just a little perspective from someone who has experienced life under two parties. Don't even get me started on the NDP who came to power in my province, took our HST from 13%(lower by the Conservatives from 14% to 13%) to 15% and we are now in the red. They were voted out.

I would not count the PC party out just yet. People would actually have to vote and with participation at less than 50%, it's too early to predict.
Hi Senorita Bella, first off congratulations on becoming a Canadian.

It is not just the citizenship process alone that I think this administration fails. Democracy as we know it doesnt exist under this PM. Didnt want to hijack the intent of this thread, but one last thing: Personally we all would have started to realize already,what we aspire to do after citizenship, that is all mentioned here if not for this administration. In my opinion, Jason Kenney found some measly less than 30 applicants cheating out of 3000 recent citizenship grants when he was the CIC minister. He assumed himself as a knight in the shining armour and over-smartly devised a way to search for a needle in a hay stack. I dont think that's anywhere closer to knighthood, that's simply xenophobic!

Anyways, I wish all the applicants that their aspirations come true. Canada is bigger than the limited circumstances that we're currently dealing with and this too shall pass!

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
BLT said:
"America is a gangster wearing police uniform" love this phrase.