+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First tax filing as a temporary resident turned PR

SquirrelAndMoose

Jul 18, 2019
I've been filing taxes for the past few years as a temporary resident. This year I got my PR but haven't applied for the permanent SIN yet.

I have two options right now.
1. Apply for new SIN and file taxes with the new SIN.
I've read online that I'll need to re-validate my CRA account for the new SIN and it might take 2-3 months for everything to properly migrate over.
I definitely want to use my education credits this year, so would that be a problem?

2. File taxes with the old temporary SIN and apply for permanent SIN after I get my NOA for 2019.
My current temporary SIN is still valid for another year, so this shouldn't be an issue. It just takes longer to get the permanent SIN and I'm guessing I won't be able to change jobs until then because I won't have a work permit to accompany the temporary SIN.

What would be the best thing to do in this scenario?

nipuns1

Star Member
Nov 8, 2012
canada
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-06-2017
Passport Req..
05-10-2017
LANDED..........
04-11-2017
I think option number 2 is good unless your sin is expiring soon

You can always apply for the new sin and find a new job, you can tell the employer you have PR , it only takes a day to get the new sin from service Canada, but you need your PR card

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've been filing taxes for the past few years as a temporary resident. This year I got my PR but haven't applied for the permanent SIN yet.

I have two options right now.
1. Apply for new SIN and file taxes with the new SIN.
I've read online that I'll need to re-validate my CRA account for the new SIN and it might take 2-3 months for everything to properly migrate over.
I definitely want to use my education credits this year, so would that be a problem?

2. File taxes with the old temporary SIN and apply for permanent SIN after I get my NOA for 2019.
My current temporary SIN is still valid for another year, so this shouldn't be an issue. It just takes longer to get the permanent SIN and I'm guessing I won't be able to change jobs until then because I won't have a work permit to accompany the temporary SIN.

What would be the best thing to do in this scenario?
It takes about 10 minutes to get a permanent SIN.