+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First steps !!!

masonmagic

Mar 28, 2011
Hi All,

We are in the very, very early stages of looking to move / work in Canada. Its taking time to get our heads around what we should and shouldnt do, and Im not even sure we qualify.
The question is: We did a rough assessment test to see how many points we get and its 5 short of qualifying, we could get them if we have a job offer (I think). So we where thinking do we go for a holiday and line up interviews to see if we can get a job?
My husband is an Air conditioning/Refrigeration/Heating Service Supervisor been doing that for over 20 years, he's 42 years old and we have 2 children, I work in an office dealing with travel claims, budgets etc.
We have been looking at BC near Victoria, but we really need to know if its possible to start the ball rolling without those all important 5 points?

Any pointers and anything would be appreciated, we currently live in Australia been hear 7 years and are Australian Citiziens/ British Citiziens.

Thankyou all

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You get extra points for a job offer so you will make it then but you are actually talking about immigration now, not temporary workers. Employers are always hesitant to apply for anything for you but there are 2 ways of doing things.

1. The employer applies for an AEO (arranged employment opinion) and you use that to apply for your immigration under the skilled worker program. Will take months. The employer will not see you for a long time plus you are under no obligation to ever come and work for him. The employer may not see much benefit in doing this.

2. The employer applies for an LMO (labour market opinion) and you use that to apply for a temporary work permit. You can come to Canada a lot sooner and start working and your work permit is tied to the employer (employer really likes that). You can then apply to immigrate later.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
masonmagic said:
we really need to know if its possible to start the ball rolling without those all important 5 points?
I'm not certain what you mean by "get the ball rolling". If you're referring to submitting an application to immigrate as federal skilled workers, then the answer is no. You must have the full 67 points to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To add...

If you decide to go the federal skilled worker immigration route, definitely spend some time reading through the threads in the FSW section of this site. There's a lot of great information there and you can read about the experiences of others. Here's the direct link:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/skilled-worker-professional-immigration-b4.0/

masonmagic

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks Leon & Scylla.

OK I think after reading your threads we will go the LMO temp work permit way!
Ive had 2 reply's back from doing the assesment test from the "Lawyers" have you heard of them?

David Cohen, Attorney at Law Peter John Nyistor
Immigration Consultant
(Canadian Immigration Law) Global Visas
The Law Firm of Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law)
215 Redfern, Office# 118
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
H3Z 3L5

David said my husband is qualified for a Canadian permanent resident visa under the Federal Skilled AND

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Google "global visas review" before you do anything further with them. That's all I'm going to say on that front.

As far as I know, David Cohen has a good reputation. However I don't have any direct experience.

masonmagic

Mar 28, 2011
AND

Thats with 5 points short!!! (sorry Im continueing from my last thread)
Anyhow I will look more into the Temp work visa, can you do all this without actually going over to Canada?
ie: Apply for jobs OR is it best to start applying knowing we will be going over for a holiday and then going for interviews?

Ive also read about a few "dodgy" Immigration Companies and I dont want to fall into one of those so I would rather do this all myself.
Do we need to get my husband"s trade verified to meet the Canadian work equivalent before we apply for jobs?

Regards