+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Stage Approval - Spousal Sponsorship

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
My fiancé and I have just been approved in our first stage approval of our common-law sponsorship!!! I was just wondering if this means we are pretty much approved, what happens next in terms of checks and how long are the waiting times for next steps? Looking to hear some experiences!! Thank you!!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My fiancé and I have just been approved in our first stage approval of our common-law sponsorship!!! I was just wondering if this means we are pretty much approved, what happens next in terms of checks and how long are the waiting times for next steps? Looking to hear some experiences!! Thank you!!
Not quite sure what you mean by first stage approval. Do you mean you got AOR? If so, that is just the beginning. There is no defined time frame for any particular part of the process, many variables. Can be a couple months to a year or longer depending on how complex your application is.

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
Not quite sure what you mean by first stage approval. Do you mean you got AOR? If so, that is just the beginning. There is no defined time frame for any particular part of the process, many variables. Can be a couple months to a year or longer depending on how complex your application is.
Our letter states that we have been approved in first stage of processing and that they only have criminal and medical checks still to do. The letter also states we are eligible. Our lawyer says to go out and celebrate haha just wondering what this means

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Our letter states that we have been approved in first stage of processing and that they only have criminal and medical checks still to do. The letter also states we are eligible. Our lawyer says to go out and celebrate haha just wondering what this means

Congratulations on that but I wouldn't start packing bags yet. The remaining process and items required can take time for many reasons and add in Covid things can be slower than normal. Also it doesn't mean approval right now. Just be patient, sounds like your app is moving a long.

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
Congratulations on that but I wouldn't start packing bags yet. The remaining process and items required can take time for many reasons and add in Covid things can be slower than normal. Also it doesn't mean approval right now. Just be patient, sounds like your app is moving a long.
Thank you! Yes for sure, we know! It’s definitely a stepping stone in the right direction though, we are so happy! How long are working visa processing times?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It sounds like SA (approve on the sponsor side), it's still some time before the application is completed. There is still medical, police check and background check. So as others suggested, do not pack your bags yet. But it's a good step forward.

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
It sounds like SA (approve on the sponsor side), it's still some time before the application is completed. There is still medical, police check and background check. So as others suggested, do not pack your bags yet. But it's a good step forward.
So it’s not sponsor approval as I already received that months ago. This one is specific to my fiancé receiving approval of common-law class.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So it’s not sponsor approval as I already received that months ago. This one is specific to my fiancé receiving approval of common-law class.
Then it's likely a step that I am not aware of. :) anyway, a good step forward.
Is that AIP? But that doesn't come until you passed medical and police check. I guess I need to read up on the new steps.

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
Not too sure to be honest! What does AIP stand for? My fiancé has gone for medical so now I believe they are just looking over criminal background checks and the medical exams.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Not too sure to be honest! What does AIP stand for? My fiancé has gone for medical so now I believe they are just looking over criminal background checks and the medical exams.
AIP (approved in principle) means it's almost done deal. And ppl are weeks or a month or so away from getting the COPR.
Did you apply inland or outland?

espresso87

Star Member
May 4, 2019
AIP (approved in principle) means it's almost done deal. And ppl are weeks or a month or so away from getting the COPR.
Oh excellent! Thank you for informing us, we are new to this haha. We have applied inland!

Reactions: mf2040

Ptlhdk

Nov 23, 2021
Yesterday I received First stage Approval . Please anyone guide me what can be next step?
Thank You

lp89

Star Member
Aug 6, 2021
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
25-05-2022
Good to know.

How long did it take from date of submission to first stage approval letter?

Thanks

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
Hi there!! Does this statement still stand - once the PA receives their AIP, the COPR should come in about a month’s time? :eek: