+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Rental in Canada

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Hi all,

This has probably been asked before but I thought that an updated topic could help. We will be landing in Canada this year (my fiance and her sister is going in June already). They do not have family there, though we do have a friend where we will be staying. But we recently thought of methods to get accommodation once arriving, since we won't have credit scores etc. What did you do if you were in a similar situation in the past?

We thought about Airbnb for the first month, then trying to get a rental (we could probably use our funds as proof in lieu of pay stubs)? We have more than enough savings to pay for rent for a few months, so that won't be an issue. Just thought to get a fresh take on what you guys did in the beginning.

We want to be close to Mississauga, as the job opportunities in my field are plentiful in the city. Is Airbnb the best option? We obviously don't want to stay in a hotel for a month, as it would waste money unnecessarily.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi all,

This has probably been asked before but I thought that an updated topic could help. We will be landing in Canada this year (my fiance and her sister is going in June already). They do not have family there, though we do have a friend where we will be staying. But we recently thought of methods to get accommodation once arriving, since we won't have credit scores etc. What did you do if you were in a similar situation in the past?

We thought about Airbnb for the first month, then trying to get a rental (we could probably use our funds as proof in lieu of pay stubs)? We have more than enough savings to pay for rent for a few months, so that won't be an issue. Just thought to get a fresh take on what you guys did in the beginning.

We want to be close to Mississauga, as the job opportunities in my field are plentiful in the city. Is Airbnb the best option? We obviously don't want to stay in a hotel for a month, as it would waste money unnecessarily.
Some stuff here you might find useful

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

lundir8

Star Member
Feb 14, 2019
Hi all,

Try renting a house. If you want something cheaper try renting a basement.
Www.Kijiji.ca

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Thanks guys. I have been all over Kijiji and there are great basement ads. The only concern I have is not having a Canadian credit record etc. I guess we just need to find the right landlord that will give us a chance. Thanks for the responses :)

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
Thanks guys. I have been all over Kijiji and there are great basement ads. The only concern I have is not having a Canadian credit record etc. I guess we just need to find the right landlord that will give us a chance. Thanks for the responses :)
Canada is an immigration country, you will find something for sure.

lundir8

Star Member
Feb 14, 2019
You dont need credit history to rent a basement. You will have to pay first months rent upfront and damage deposit before you start living in it. Damage deposit is usually equivalent to a month's rent but can be more.
Welcome to Canada.