+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First landing to Canada - Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant at Toronto airport.

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Finally, I’ve received my COPR, so the next step is to travel to Canada.
I will be travelling to Moncton via Toronto.
Since its first time travel to Canada, I would like to get few clarity.
  1. Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant. I guess, I will be completing the PR card formalities with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at Toronto airport.
  2. How much time to we need to catch the connecting flight?
Thanks,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  1. Duration to complete the immigration procedure as a first landing immigrant. I guess, I will be completing the PR card formalities with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at Toronto airport.
Thanks,
You should also think about the amount of time you need wait for collection your check-in luggage and recheck-in for the domestic flight between Toronto and Moncton.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks,
1. Depends on what flights land and how many people also need to complete any form of immigration. Pure luck how long it may take.
3. Would leave 3-4 hours. Would also suggest landing earlier in the day because if you miss your connecting flight there will likely be another one if you land earlier on in the day.

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
You should also think about the amount of time you need wait for collection your check-in luggage and recheck-in for the domestic flight between Toronto and Moncton.
@steaky , I was thinking that the baggage will be transferred automatically since I will be using the same airline (Air Canada). Is it true, or do I need to exit the immigration complete and re-check-in again?

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
1. Depends on what flights land and how many people also need to complete any form of immigration. Pure luck how long it may take.
3. Would leave 3-4 hours. Would also suggest landing earlier in the day because if you miss your connecting flight there will likely be another one if you land earlier on in the day.
@canuck78 , I am planning to use the Air Canada, and I've noticed the below options.
1) Connecting flight duration is 2:40 hrs (Toronto airport)
2) Connecting flight duration is 13 hrs (Toronto airport).
3) Connecting flight duration is 8 hrs (Montreal airport).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@steaky , I was thinking that the baggage will be transferred automatically since I will be using the same airline (Air Canada). Is it true, or do I need to exit the immigration complete and re-check-in again?
Best to avoid Air Canada. In the past months, there were cases Air Canada refused passenger from boarding and lost passenger's baggage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 , I am planning to use the Air Canada, and I've noticed the below options.
1) Connecting flight duration is 2:40 hrs (Toronto airport)
2) Connecting flight duration is 13 hrs (Toronto airport).
3) Connecting flight duration is 8 hrs (Montreal airport).
2h40min is too short in my opinion. 8 hours is likely too much time but looks like your best option. You will have to collect your bags and check in again since you are going through immigration.

GR123

Star Member
Apr 27, 2020
Poland
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
2h40min is too short in my opinion. 8 hours is likely too much time but looks like your best option. You will have to collect your bags and check in again since you are going through immigration.
@canuck78 , is it true that, we have to collect the bags and recheck in once again at the Toronto airport?
My flight itinerary is
Frankfurt --> Toronto (terminal 1) --> Halifax.
All these flights are Air Canada, and My connecting flight in Toronto is at the same terminal (i.e. terminal 1)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've seen huge amounts of luggages stranded in the baggage collection area with Air Canada tags. So if you don't want to have your bags recheck, then travel lighter. Like I said previously, avoid AC if possible at least for the year.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@canuck78 , is it true that, we have to collect the bags and recheck in once again at the Toronto airport?
My flight itinerary is
Frankfurt --> Toronto (terminal 1) --> Halifax.
All these flights are Air Canada, and My connecting flight in Toronto is at the same terminal (i.e. terminal 1)
Go to the Pearson Aiport website and key in your arrival and departure destinations for connecting flights. It will give you instructions. Most likely it will tell you that you have to pick up your bags in the secured area of immigration and then take them to the connecting flight carousel. You aren’t rechecking your baggage. When you check in for your flight and get your luggage tags then ask.