+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First day in canada, ever.. How to rent?

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi EB
I'm a Realtor and can tell you that it's possible to rent without job and reference but you must use a Realtor to help you negotiate tour contract.
alrivas. com

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
ALRIVAS said:
Hi EB
I'm a Realtor and can tell you that it's possible to rent without job and reference but you must use a Realtor to help you negotiate tour contract.
alrivas. com
Really? Can you be of assistance in renting a 2bedroom apartment in Edmonton?

abirdie

Oct 1, 2012
I would say, find a good shared accommodation in a basement or apartment.
You need to comfort yourself in the location you are staying. If you lease an apartment under your name, there are tons of requirements like they ask you for credit check and the lease is 1 year term with advance payment of first and last month rent!
That means, you have to stay at same place for one year or else you will lose your last month paid rent if you decide to move out.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
abirdie said:
You need to comfort yourself in the location you are staying. If you lease an apartment under your name, there are tons of requirements like they ask you for credit check and the lease is 1 year term with advance payment of first and last month rent!
That means, you have to stay at same place for one year or else you will lose your last month paid rent if you decide to move out.
Hmmmnn thanx for the enlightenment

Dubsi

Mar 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC -Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/03/2014
Doc's Request.
not yet
AOR Received.
02/04/2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with app
I dont know if you have been looking up any places but you could try a website like Kijiji or craigslist for the city you are moving to and search for shared accommodations you can usually find a reasonable landlord who is just looking for someone to rent out a spare bedroom for a little extra money and won't ask for credit check etc.

For cheap temporary accommodations you could also Google couch surfing for the city you are moving to.

Svet_diom

Mar 12, 2014
Hi, I can help. I immigrated myself 8 years ago and can rent you an excellent basement apartment. Fully furnished with TV, linens, all kitchen utensils. Great area in Richmond Hill. Ideal for a couple or family with one child. Email me if interested at svet_diom@yahoo.com.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Svet_diom said:
Hi, I can help. I immigrated myself 8 years ago and can rent you an excellent basement apartment. Fully furnished with TV, linens, all kitchen utensils. Great area in Richmond Hill. Ideal for a couple or family with one child. Email me if interested at svet_diom @ yahoo.com.
I will send you an email...

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Svet_diom said:
Hi, I can help. I immigrated myself 8 years ago and can rent you an excellent basement apartment. Fully furnished with TV, linens, all kitchen utensils. Great area in Richmond Hill. Ideal for a couple or family with one child. Email me if interested at svet_diom @ yahoo.com.
I sent you an email. Kindly respond.
Thank you

abirdie

Oct 1, 2012
I would also suggest first to find something in Toronto and scarborough area since during the beginning of your journey as new immigrant, you will need to use bus services a lot. Only TTC (toronto transit) has the highest frequency of buses compared to york region and mississauga.
But if you are going to have a car, then you can rent a place anywhere you like.
Also, for the job interviews, you can easily take ttc subway and buses, even many appartment building have easy walk to bus stops which saves lot of time. :)

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
abirdie said:
I would also suggest first to find something in Toronto and scarborough area since during the beginning of your journey as new immigrant, you will need to use bus services a lot. Only TTC (toronto transit) has the highest frequency of buses compared to york region and mississauga.
But if you are going to have a car, then you can rent a place anywhere you like.
Also, for the job interviews, you can easily take ttc subway and buses, even many appartment building have easy walk to bus stops which saves lot of time. :)
Nice idea

misterwhite

Mar 28, 2011
newtone said:
Of course not, who would sleep in the park in this weather? you can move to a homeless shelter and get your provisions from a food bank until you get a job
why this solution :eek:

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
misterwhite said:
why this solution :eek:
Would you rather pay $1000 rent in a cockroach infested appartment and expensive groceries? If you have the option of free service why pay for it?

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
abirdie said:
...a scenario struck my mind just now, ...I get a house in a decent neighbourhood with good schools around, put my kids in school. Now since the lease is usually for one year, how about ..if I am asked by the owner to leave after one year ! How to cope with such a situation, what will happen to the kids schooling, what if I don't find another house in the same neighbourhood, would it be a complete shift again with the kids also moved to new schools in the new neighbourhood ?? Is it a normal practice, or usually owners don't ask to vacate so frequently !!

mute_man

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 January 2011
Nomination.....
23 June 2011
AOR Received.
20 July 2011
Med's Request
05 March 2014
Med's Done....
15 March 2014
Passport Req..
05 March 2014
VISA ISSUED...
16 April 2014
LANDED..........
12 July 2014
abirdie said:
thanks for sharing. your first +1! ;D

Wain Ho

Jan 21, 2014
Hasni said:
...a scenario struck my mind just now, ...I get a house in a decent neighbourhood with good schools around, put my kids in school. Now since the lease is usually for one year, how about ..if I am asked by the owner to leave after one year ! How to cope with such a situation, what will happen to the kids schooling, what if I don't find another house in the same neighbourhood, would it be a complete shift again with the kids also moved to new schools in the new neighbourhood ?? Is it a normal practice, or usually owners don't ask to vacate so frequently !!
I wouldn't think a landlord want to keep looking for reliable tenants year after year unless the tenants are trouble, which I do not think is the case in your situation. Most likely the landlords will be worried that their tenants will want to leave after a year as they either have found a cheaper place or the environment became unbearable for the tenants to leave.