+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Canadian Passport/it is not possible yo apply for your first Canadian Passport from abroad?

Xavier3000

May 22, 2022
After my Oath Ceremony I have received this instruction from CIC officer.
Is it true that it is not possible yo apply for your first Canadian Passport from abroad?

The 6 week timeline: You should get your Citizenship Certificates about 2 – 4 weeks after ceremony and if you apply immediately to Passport Canada it would be at least 2 weeks before the passports are received. It is not possible to apply for your first Canadian Passport from abroad.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is it true that it is not possible yo apply for your first Canadian Passport from abroad?

The 6 week timeline: You should get your Citizenship Certificates about 2 – 4 weeks after ceremony and if you apply immediately to Passport Canada it would be at least 2 weeks before the passports are received. It is not possible to apply for your first Canadian Passport from abroad.
I have not heard that it's not possible to apply for first passport abroad. It may take longer and be somewhat more of a pain, but ... check the instructions.

I believe the two week is generally true, although possible in some circumstances to apply for and get passport on urgent basis in shorter time periods.

I'd suggest checking the 'get a passport' government web pages - there are instructions and forms and other useful info.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

I'm currently in the process of waiting for my 1st passport having applied for it from the UK

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Yes you can apply abroad at nearest cdn embassy that offers passport services for canadians. Keep a copy of citizenship certificate before submitting it…….its pretty straightforward process these days

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Yes you can apply abroad at nearest cdn embassy that offers passport services for canadians. Keep a copy of citizenship certificate before submitting it…….its pretty straightforward process these days
Yes the submission of the original Citizenship certificate is the worrying thing due to the risk of it getting lost and then having to wait 18 months approximately......keeping my fingers crossed that it hasn't and that the passport comes through soon.

hungtington

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
How long did it take end to end?
Approximately:
Oath: Day 0
Friend in CA received certificate: Day 16
I received certificate from friend: Day 25
I mailed out application: Day 30
I got passport: Day 70

It is worth noting that, applying from USA is a little different compared to applying from other foreign countries, as the application is not handled by embassy. Applications from USA are directly mailed by applicants to the processing center in Canada.