+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First apply for a work permit

dib1020

Mar 11, 2019
Greetings guys,
I am a refugee claimant since december 2018.

I mentioned in Schedule 12 that I need work permit. My medical results was submitted on 31 january 2019.

Until now I didn't get anything, I called IRCC two days ago and they said that I don't have any application for a work permit in my profile, and I have to submit a new form by mail or online to an office in Edmonton station 888 or to wait maybe it will show up in their system in few days or weeks.

What is the best solution, is it :
1- to send a new application by mail to station 888,
2- to apply online,
3- to keep waiting.

Thanks.

dib1020

Mar 11, 2019
Thank you Ali94. I read in this forum that submiting an application by mail take a lot of time and the fatser way to have the work permit is to submit the application online. DO you have an idea bout that ?

Thank you for your help

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
I am in the same situation as you.

I called IRCC and they said that they will give you priority because you already requested the permit through schedule 12, and they instructed me to submit it by mail.

But make sure that you write ASYLUM CLAIMANT on the envelope from outside.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hey guys since we're all in the same situation, let's update this thread and share timelines.
After I did the medical exam I wasn't sure If i should apply or is it an automated process as told by the immigration officer so I contacted my lawer and he also confirmed the new process and that I should wait for it. after a month or so I called the IRCC and the agent told me we have your medical exam results and the process for the work permit should have started but it's not. So he made a note on my profile and told me to apply for it. I applied online 2 days ago. I will update this thread whenever I get it.

dib1020

Mar 11, 2019
Thanks, it takes only 5 minutes to have the SIN number,
The SIN expires when the work permit expires.
I received a work permit valid two years.

lawa

Jan 23, 2019
Same here, I applied online because the new system didnt work so I got it after 30 days.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
I promised to update this thread whenever I get it and today it was approved! I still don't have it but they sent it to me.
I applied online on 28/03/2019 and it was approved on 26/04/2019.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Ok last update I promise, I just received the work permit by mail. So my advice for any new refugee claimants is after doing the medical exam call IRCC after a week to check. If there's no application for work permit in their system. Apply online immediately. Good luck everyone.

Hellodear1

Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for the update.

What if some one apply on paper after medical? How long will it be delayed compared to online.