+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finish taxes without valid SIN number

EddyCo

Jun 19, 2019
Hi,
I had an OWP during 2013 to 2017 and when my OWP expired i left Canada.
During these years i never finished my taxes from 2014 to 2017, recently i tried to do the taxes for these years and i was told from Revenue Canada that i can't finish my taxes because my SIN number is expired,
I explained them that my SIN number was valid during my time i worked in Canada and i'm applying for that period only.
The most recent letter i received from the Revenue (also on the phone with an agent) that to finish my taxes i need a valid SIN number as for NOW and not for the period i worked.

What could you suggested me to do in this case? i don't have a SIN number, i don't have any status in Canada and i don't plan to apply for any soon.

Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
During these years i never finished my taxes from 2014 to 2017, recently i tried to do the taxes for these years and i was told from Revenue Canada that i can't finish my taxes because my SIN number is expired,
I explained them that my SIN number was valid during my time i worked in Canada and i'm applying for that period only.
The most recent letter i received from the Revenue (also on the phone with an agent) that to finish my taxes i need a valid SIN number as for NOW and not for the period i worked.

What could you suggested me to do in this case? i don't have a SIN number, i don't have any status in Canada and i don't plan to apply for any soon.

Thank you
https://settlement.org/ontario/employment/social-insurance-number/your-social-insurance-number-sin/what-is-a-social-insurance-number-sin-do-i-need-one/

Filing Income Tax
In most cases you need a SIN to file your income taxes. In some cases, you cannot get a SIN because you are not eligible. This is the case for some temporary residents. If you cannot get a SIN, you can use an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or Temporary Taxation Number (TTN) to file taxes, instead of a SIN.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1261.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Thank you
You should be able to file taxes with an expired SIN. Post the exact wording of the letter with personal info removed.

Reactions: canuck78