+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprints was taken by CIC

monicaz

Nov 16, 2009
Due to some problem staying in Canada, my fingerprints were taken by cic. Does anybody know that if cic will take off the fingerprints record after some years? How many years will they keep the fingerprints record? Thanks. This is important for me to know.

M

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
as far as i know, once your fingerprints are taken for whatever reason, it stays on record indefinitely.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
as far as i know, once your fingerprints are taken for whatever reason, it stays on record indefinitely.
That is not exactly true. The CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) operated by the RCMP holds all records relating to finger prints, criminal records, criminal charges, pardons, discharges and other information.

A finger print would only be taken if a person is charged with an indictable or hybrid offense (not summary). Should the charge resolve in a conviction. The record stays within the system unless one of the following occurs:
  • a person reaches 80 years of age and has no new reported criminal activity within the past 10 years
  • a person reaches 100 years of age
  • a person is deceased

Should the charge be withdrawn or stayed (not the same as acquittal), the record stays within the system for 5 years for non-violent charges.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

helios said:
That is not exactly true. The CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) operated by the RCMP holds all records relating to finger prints, criminal records, criminal charges, pardons, discharges and other information.

A finger print would only be taken if a person is charged with an indictable or hybrid offense (not summary). Should the charge resolve in a conviction. The record stays within the system unless one of the following occurs:
  • a person reaches 80 years of age and has no new reported criminal activity within the past 10 years
  • a person reaches 100 years of age
  • a person is deceased

Should the charge be withdrawn or stayed (not the same as acquittal), the record stays within the system for 5 years for non-violent charges.
Note the above is for criminal cases, not Immigration.

PMM

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
PMM

do you know if a withdrawn or stayed charge will effect inadmissibility?

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

helios said:
PMM

do you know if a withdrawn or stayed charge will effect inadmissibility?

Thanks in advance.
1. Withdrawn won't have any effect, stayed will ,up to 1 year, that is the length of time that the charges can be re-introduced.

PMM

monicaz

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks, PMM.
The reason the fingerprints were taken is:
He applied for immigration as a refugee, but was rejected, and fingerprints were taken. Somehow he didn't get deported. Now after 5 years, he wants to try again to apply for immigration through other channel. Do you know if the fingerprints are still kept in their record, thus reject him again? Thanks in advance.

MM