+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprints are smudged

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Recently I applied for Canadian visit visa online. I got a letter to submit the biometrics so the nearest office for me was gerry’s Office Lahore Pakistan. Everything went well except there was some issues regarding my thumb and fingers scanning digitally. Fingerprints were kinda distorted or you can say smudged. They tried around 5,6 times with different conditions like with dry and wet and then used a lotion but it didn’t went successful. However, the concerned person contacted his manager and he asked him to add a note with my finger prints and application online that they are unable to scan the exact fingerprints each time.
What I wanted to know is should I expect a rejection email? Or may be they will ask me to submit my fingerprints again? And what should be my next plan of action in this situation although the whole processing after the submition of biometric will take a lot time and at the end of next month I need to visit Canada for attending one conference. I’m not sure about the next steps or advice.
Please let me know if anyone of you have experienced the same scenario or know the next steps about this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Recently I applied for Canadian visit visa online. I got a letter to submit the biometrics so the nearest office for me was gerry’s Office Lahore Pakistan. Everything went well except there was some issues regarding my thumb and fingers scanning digitally. Fingerprints were kinda distorted or you can say smudged. They tried around 5,6 times with different conditions like with dry and wet and then used a lotion but it didn’t went successful. However, the concerned person contacted his manager and he asked him to add a note with my finger prints and application online that they are unable to scan the exact fingerprints each time.
Fingerprint blurring/smudging can happen:
1. If you are a senior (maybe 60-65+ in age)
2. If you work constantly with paper (the fingerprint ridges get worn down), or
3. If you have a skin condition that does not allow for sharp fingerprints

What I wanted to know is should I expect a rejection email? Or may be they will ask me to submit my fingerprints again?
In the absence of fingerprinting, the biometrics component will be considered as incomplete = Your application will be considered as incomplete = Processing won't begin.

You could be asked to submit your fingerprints/biometrics again.

What is the 'Biometrics' update when you check it?

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks Bryanna,

Fingerprint blurring/smudging can happen:
1. If you are a senior (maybe 60-65+ in age)
2. If you work constantly with paper (the fingerprint ridges get worn down), or
3. If you have a skin condition that does not allow for sharp fingerprints
First 2 doesn't apply in my case. However, yes my skin condition is not allowing clear finger prints.

In the absence of fingerprinting, the biometrics component will be considered as incomplete = Your application will be considered as incomplete = Processing won't begin.

You could be asked to submit your fingerprints/biometrics again.

What is the 'Biometrics' update when you check it?
The current biometrics update on my online application is still the same 'We need your fingerprints to process your application. Check your messages below for details.' I received the 'Biometrics Collection Letter' on April 11, 2018 and submitted my biometrics on April 16, 2018. Since then I didn't get any update on my application, usually they notify if there is any update on the application process.

In addition to this, I got my police character certificate from CCPL (Capital City Police Lahore) few days back, What I was thinking is there any way if even in second attempt in case of absence of my fingerprints this certificate can help me? and usually how much approximate time/days does it take after the biometrics?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
First 2 doesn't apply in my case. However, yes my skin condition is not allowing clear finger prints.
I recommend you do NOT wait for the visa office to contact you/send another biometrics request. They may/may not contact you. As your biometrics has not been given, your filed will be closed after 30 days i.e. as a refusal.

You must send a Case Specific Enquiry/IRCC web form + an email to the relevant visa office. You would be writing to inform them about your condition that does not allow you to give your fingerprints + include any evidence/ doctors notes/ medical reports to support your statements.

The current biometrics update on my online application is still the same 'We need your fingerprints to process your application. Check your messages below for details.' I received the 'Biometrics Collection Letter' on April 11, 2018 and submitted my biometrics on April 16, 2018. Since then I didn't get any update on my application, usually they notify if there is any update on the application process.
Hopefully, the note from VFS/VAC would help, but you wouldn't want to wait until then.

In addition to this, I got my police character certificate from CCPL (Capital City Police Lahore) few days back, What I was thinking is there any way if even in second attempt in case of absence of my fingerprints this certificate can help me? and usually how much approximate time/days does it take after the biometrics?
You can submit this PCC through the CSE and email

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks very much your feedback is very helpful for me.

You must send a Case Specific Enquiry/IRCC web form + an email to the relevant visa office. You would be writing to inform them about your condition that does not allow you to give your fingerprints + include any evidence/ doctors notes/ medical reports to support your statements.

One more question: is there any need that the medical reports should be from their panels hospitals or I can attach the scanned copy of my dermatologist reports which is basically by Doctor Hospital Thokar Niaz Baig Lahore. If there are some hospitals on their panel please share some details.

Thanks,
Mirza

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
One more question: is there any need that the medical reports should be from their panels hospitals or I can attach the scanned copy of my dermatologist reports which is basically by Doctor Hospital Thokar Niaz Baig Lahore. If there are some hospitals on their panel please share some details.
IMO, a medical report from your dermatologist would be okay.

Have you given your fingerprints for any other purpose recently? For some other visa? Or any other biometric requirement?

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
IMO, a medical report from your dermatologist would be okay.
Great, thanks I will attach my prescription as supporting document.
Have you given your fingerprints for any other purpose recently? For some other visa? Or any other biometric requirement?
Few months before I went to buy few devices and sim and they want biometric verification that time, I remember at that time they tried a lot as well on all their biometric devices as well as through all means like with washed hands and wet as well but finger prints were not proper. But before that I never faced any issue regarding this that might be because it’s been a long time.

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
But I’m astonished that they are still relying on just finger prints. Technology is rapidly changing and they are relying on just fingerprints scanning for the identification purposes. There should be other ways as well like iris scanning or DNA or any other mechanisms which do not rely on physical things but uniquely identify every person.

Last edited:

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
One more thing, if my skin condition get better in next few days can I go any time at visa office to submit my biometric again? Or I need to apply and pay fee again for one more biometric?

Mbaig08

Apr 18, 2018
Hi Bryanna,

I just checked my application status today again and the Biometric status is now 'Completed'. Does this mean they've accepted my fingerprints and confirmed my identity?

Shagupta

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
@Bryanna Hi! I keep posting on different threads cause new things keep on happening with mom and dads application.

So my mother who is 63 submitted her finger prints on March the 6th in New Delhi VFS office. Just now, I got an email update on her application that has asked for Repeat Biometrics.

It says: "Based on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s records, you have provided your fingerprints and photograph. Unfortunately, upon further verification, it has been determined that there is an issue with the quality of the fingerprints and/or photograph that you provided.As a result, you must have your fingerprints scanned and photograph taken again. You are not required to pay a new biometric fee."

Poor thing will have to go back to New Delhi for a repeat submission of biometrics. What is interesting is that she had mentioned that she has had problems with finger prints in the past and i simply dismissed it. I did tell her that she should make sure that her biometrics are done properly.. She told me yesterday that the individual who did her biometrics at New Delhi VFS- told her that he had added a note on her application mentioning this issue as well.

My question to you is:

1. What if her biometrics are not accepted this time as well and
2. What can she do to ensure her biometrics are recorded properly at VFS- New Delhi. Does the person who records this in the Delhi Office already see what is acceptable/and not? Could he have done a more thorough job of trying to get better biometrics?
3. What are my other options for her? Does CIC not consider the fact that she is 63?

Thanks @Bryanna

I really wish i stop pestering you soon.

Shagupta

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Hi Bryanna,

I just checked my application status today again and the Biometric status is now 'Completed'. Does this mean they've accepted my fingerprints and confirmed my identity?
Hi, will you tell me what finally happened with your application. My mother's biometric (finger prints) have been unable to be recorded properly as well.

Holy Cow

Jun 26, 2020
@Bryanna Hello , I really need some guidance as I am also in similar situation.

I gave biometrics on 8 Dec 2020 for my PR application. PR application is still in progress
My company filled ICT in Feb , 2021.
I got Biometrics repeat letter and I re did the biometrics on 1st March 2021
I got another Biometrics repeat letter on 8th March so I re did the biometrics on 11 March 2021

Overall I have completed this activity 3 time. On 11th March , 2021 biometrics collecting agent updated note along with biometrics that thumb and index finger image are poor due to skin condition.

Can you please guide me how should I proceed forward ? I am really confused right now. Your suggestion will help me.

neel578

Sep 23, 2021
Hi Bryanna,

hey did you sent any web form or mail to the visa office because i am also facing the same issue please help and reply me out...its been 6days since i gave my biometric and my intake jan is near....

mshalini09

Sep 2, 2020
hey did you sent any web form or mail to the visa office because i am also facing the same issue please help and reply me out...its been 6days since i gave my biometric and my intake jan is near....
Hey, how did the biometrics issue resolve? My father (60+) is also having the same issue.