+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprint Requests: Who Receives It?

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
With most 2020 applicants receiving their "In Process" status updates, one starts wondering what comes next in the process. One such potential next step is receiving an FP request, which seems to be shrouded in mystery.

I am an applicant who has never provided their fingerprints to Canada. I have not provided them once during all the eighteen odd years of being a PR. Indeed, it must mean that I am guaranteed to receive an FP request? But what if perhaps not?

The US, UK, Canada, Australia & NZ have a treaty wherein all five countries share biometrics with one another for immigration purposes. Further, all these countries require fingerprints from an individual when they apply for a visitor visa. Therefore, one would presume anyone who has visited either of these countries in the recent past will have provided their fingerprint data, which would inevitably end up with IRCC.

Accordingly, I have provided my fingerprints to both the UK and the US within the last 3 years. Surely IRCC has my biometric information by now, likely leaving another request for situations of identity ambiguity. But will this necessarily be the case?

Leading us to the thread's purpose: What factors come into play when IRCC decides to issue an FP request? Has anyone here received BOTH an FP request AND applied for a visitor visa to the above five countries? If so, were there any other confounding factors that may have led to the FP request's issuance? For example, excessive traveling, inconsistent travel history, frequent address change, etc. Do you further suspect other factors come into play? If so, what factors and why?

Of course, any alternative discussions regarding FP requests are encouraged - for example, recommendations for places to provide your fingerprints OR simply a timeline update.

I look forward to your thoughts! :)

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Just because there are data sharing agreements in place doesn’t mean IRCC will automatically have your fingerprints. Take a close look at those agreements. The one between Canada and the US can be googled online. There are very strict definitions and narrow scope applied to what data can be shared, when data can be shared, with which department of the government data can be shared, etc. It is highly unlikely that just because you gave fingerprints to the UK, an IRCC employee would be able to magically pull them up with a click of a button.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just because there are data sharing agreements in place doesn’t mean IRCC will automatically have your fingerprints. Take a close look at those agreements. The one between Canada and the US can be googled online. There are very strict definitions and narrow scope applied to what data can be shared, when data can be shared, with which department of the government data can be shared, etc. It is highly unlikely that just because you gave fingerprints to the UK, an IRCC employee would be able to magically pull them up with a click of a button.
I have similar query. Do we know if prior fingerprinting has any benefits? I had done FPs for my PR application in 2014 & also about 9 months back as a part of employment security check.