+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding work in Quebec is almost impossible for an outsider

sms1982

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
Hi all

I'll briefly give you my story and see whether anyone else has advise or at least see's my frustration.

I came across to Quebec to be with my girlfriend (a born and raised Canadian citizen), came here on an extended visit from the UK (full 6 months tourist visa) in order to chase the required job offer required by Canadian law for a potential offer of sponsorship.

I've left no stone unturned trying to find even just ONE company in 6 months who are willing to go through the process. I'm at the end of my initial visa application now and haven't been able to secure the required job offer. I came because i felt being here to meet me physically rather than a Skype interview may have made a difference, but it hasn't.

*I've applied for countless jobs, high low salary, numbers game. Etc. I get plenty of interest until they realise I don't have a permit to work. Then it fizzles out.
*I've created a LinkedIn profile, to try to increase my network of recruiters in Montreal. I've done multiple appeals to try and get a genuine opportunity, Still nothing.
*I've took the time to learn French and paid for an evening course with my own money, people are impressed with my reasonable ability for only a few month's language ability...but in the job market everyone seemingly has to be bilingual....
*Ive been to job fairs to meet recruiters and even practise my French.. no permit = no interest

I see many articles of Quebec's labour shortages due to an ageing population, low unemployment rates yet when you speak to the average employer no one knows about Foreign worker recruitment?

When you're a person in my position, desperate to work and provide an income yet can't do anything no matter what you do? I really didn't planning on returning to the UK empty handed but this is genuinely now a possibility.

Is there anything else I've missed or is a just "one of those things?"

sonali.kaushal

Star Member
Feb 15, 2018
USA
AOR Received.
30-03-2018
You might want to try the FSW route. Being a permanent resident will increase the chances of getting a job.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all

I'll briefly give you my story and see whether anyone else has advise or at least see's my frustration.

I came across to Quebec to be with my girlfriend (a born and raised Canadian citizen), came here on an extended visit from the UK (full 6 months tourist visa) in order to chase the required job offer required by Canadian law for a potential offer of sponsorship.

I've left no stone unturned trying to find even just ONE company in 6 months who are willing to go through the process. I'm at the end of my initial visa application now and haven't been able to secure the required job offer. I came because i felt being here to meet me physically rather than a Skype interview may have made a difference, but it hasn't.

*I've applied for countless jobs, high low salary, numbers game. Etc. I get plenty of interest until they realise I don't have a permit to work. Then it fizzles out.
*I've created a LinkedIn profile, to try to increase my network of recruiters in Montreal. I've done multiple appeals to try and get a genuine opportunity, Still nothing.
*I've took the time to learn French and paid for an evening course with my own money, people are impressed with my reasonable ability for only a few month's language ability...but in the job market everyone seemingly has to be bilingual....
*Ive been to job fairs to meet recruiters and even practise my French.. no permit = no interest

I see many articles of Quebec's labour shortages due to an ageing population, low unemployment rates yet when you speak to the average employer no one knows about Foreign worker recruitment?

When you're a person in my position, desperate to work and provide an income yet can't do anything no matter what you do? I really didn't planning on returning to the UK empty handed but this is genuinely now a possibility.

Why don't you marry or live together long enough to qualify for common-law? Then she sponsors you under "Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class" (or whatever the Quebec equivalent is)? I don't remember seeing any requirement for the sponsored person to be employed, anywhere...

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Live together for 12 months to claim common law status then get the girlfriend to sponsor you for PR or although a bit extreme get married if time is an issue. If you apply inland you can get a work permit in about 4 months from submitting application. If you are 30 and under apply for the IEc program . Assume you do not qualify then for express entry .

Anyone could have told you that unless you have some exceptional skill not available in Canada getting any job offer without being a PR is virtually impossible and not unique to Quebec . Being in Quebec without being totally bilingual can be a disadvantage as well in the job market even if you had a permit or PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all

It's next to impossible to secure a job as a foreign worker since the vast majority of employers are unwilling to go through the LMIA process. Focus on applying for PR instead.

Note that a job offer is not required to apply for PR through an economic stream.

Last edited:

Zigzag85

Oct 20, 2017
Hi all

What’s your profession?