+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a Job in Canada - Experiences

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I am posting after a long long time. After landing in Canada I have been trying to settle down and, most importantly, get a job. I am sharing my experience here which might help our brothers and sisters who are planning to come to Canada. I invite others too to share their "Finding a Job" experience, tip, tricks and any other points to remember.

Let's use this format:

1.) When and Where you landed in Canada?
2.) Share Landing experience (optional).
3.) Desired job
4.) Acquired job and date.
5.) The Job Finding Process

Here I go with my experience:

1.) When and Where you landed in Canada?: 14th February 2010, Toronto.

2.) Share Landing experience (optional): The landing experience was quite easy. I filled in the migration form that I received in the plane. When I reached the counter there, I was directed towards the Immigration office. I then waited in the waiting area and after few mins the officer came in. He called me. He asked the address I was going to in Canada and just a few general questions about what I do and all. So, nothing serious here. Just a smooth process. Then I came out in the luggage area. A point to note here is that the luggage trolleys cost you 2 dollars. So, make you have some change. In case you don't have a change, remember to bring in some dollars (5 or 10). There is a Thomas Cook booth there where a guy was offering change. I gave him 10 dollars and got the change. Used up 2 dollars coins to get the luggage cart. Then, after picking up my luggage, I then showed my migration form to another officer on my way outside. I have declared that money that I was bringing in. I was directed to another queue where the luggage was being frisked by the officers. I think they were the customs guys. They were making everyone open every luggage and check every item they can. I was a bit shocked since I will have to open up all my luggage and put it back (which was quite hard to do at first place :p). My turn came and I went to one of the officers. I informed about my money. She filled up a form and told me to go ahead. I thanked God for not having to open my luggage. I then came out and my friend was there to pick me up.

3.) Desired job: Web Developer/Web Designer.

4.) Acquired job: Senior Developer. 26th March 2010.

5.) The Job Finding Process: I was fortunate to have a friend who gave my a room in his house to live in. I opened my bank account and applied for the SIN within two days. Remember, you will need to show your SIN card once you get a job. So, get it ASAP. It takes around 7-10 days for the SIN card to come in. Do not carry the SIN card with you all the time. Just memorize the number. Also, don't give away the SIN information casually. It is a very important and classified document for everyone. If at any moment you need to give your SIN information, you will be asked to show the SIN card as well. For example: While opening my bank account I was asked for SIN. I didn't had my card at the moment but I knew the number. The executive at the bank told me not to tell her the SIN. She wanted the SIN only if I had the card with me. This is generally done for two reasons: (1) I don't give out a false SIN (2)They don't, unintentionally, memorize my SIN card, for any reason. So, just remember never ever give out the SIN if anyone asks. When someone legitimately asks you, they will ask you to show the SIN card as well at that time.

Ok, now coming to the job finding process. Remember, landing at a job interview is half the battle won in Canada. Once you get an interview call, it is then your skills, luck and God's wish that will decide the fate. But the problem is most people don't get interview calls. They cannot go ahead from that stage. Forget about using your technical knowledge for the interview. I too was stuck in that situation. But, after getting views from few friends around, I started getting interview calls. The point is to act smart. Companies ignore people who have outside Canada experience (except US). If you have India, Pakistan, UAE or any other country anywhere on your resume, chances are you will not be called for the interview. Sorry, but that's a hard fact. But, don't worry. Act smart and remove the country names from the resume. What I did was, I just kept the company names but removed their location. I put in the education but removed the country. So, now I had a resume with all my qualifications, experiences and objectives Minus the country name. And, it showed the results. I started to get interview calls (on avg 2 per week). In the interview when they ask, then at that time you can tell more details about your jobs and qualifications. Remember we are not trying to hide the information but just deferring it to be told at a later and better time. Don't let the companies judge you without interviewing you. Don't let them make an opinion about you without knowing you properly. And once you get the interview, you can impress them with your confidence, skills and your character. Then it doesn't matter where you you got your education and experience from. If you fail in an interview, then no problem. That's acceptable. But, rejection without a proper interview is something that none of us wants. The problems are the pre-conceived notions and the preference of Canadian experience over any other. So, just play a little smart and it will be all good.

Resources:
Coming to the resources of finding job, here are the three main sites in the order of relevance:
1.) Craiglist.org -> Your province -> Jobs
2.) Kijiji.ca -> Jobs
3.) Monster.ca
4.) For many occupations you will find enough job listings in the free classifieds new papers that you can get from a paper kiosk around (in markets, shopping malls, bus stops, train stations etc).

I have found that Craiglist.org is the best. It has the most number of jobs and you get the maximum responses for your job application. Kijiji.ca is also a good resource. I landed at my first interview through Kijiji.ca. Monster.ca is good but I have got the least responses from them. But, nevertheless use all these three to their full potential.

Type of Jobs:
I have found that basically there are three kinds of jobs here:
1.) Full time Permanent
2.) Full time Contract
3.) Part time Contract (includes freelancing too)

Full time Permanent: The jobs where you work for 40 hours (generally 9-5, 5 days) a week often with medical benefits. A good starting salary is in the range of 55,000-65,000 per year. But, it is upto you what you can remain happy with. Like for me 50,000 would have been fine to start with. The upside of this type of job is that it is permanent position.

Full time Contract: You work at employers location for the regular work timings but you are employed for a certain period of time (6 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, 12 months). Here you charge per hour. Many people like to work on contract basis since they get paid better. A programmer charges anywhere from $25-$90 per hour depending upon type of work and experience. Many big companies also offer contract positions. So, don't think down upon them. They are as relevant as a Full time permanent job here. The downside of this job is that you will have to worry about finding a job once your contract is over. But, they are very good for beginners.

Part time Contract: You are required for a lesser time period per week (like 25 hours per week, 30 hours per week) and you can work either at the employer's location or from your own location. Here also you charge per hour basis and it is generally good for students. But, you can also take it up if you come across a proposition that suits you.

Finally, I would like to sum up this by saying that always be Thankful for what you have got. Believe in God, pray to God and trust me you will do good in this Country. It is very intimidating here. You see people going to work and it is easy for you to feel depressed. But, don't worry. You are few of the lucky ones to be chosen to come to this country and now you should not give up. Have patience, be smart and believe in God. I used to pray everyday to God, kept faith in my actions and almighty's blessings. I did my part but I owe everything to Almighty.

God bless you all and All the best !!!

Siawo

Star Member
Feb 24, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
May 12, 2009
AOR Received.
May 20, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 1, 2010
Med's Done....
Mar 13, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 07, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 18. 2010
Great thread!

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Blueboy,

Great thoughtful post.God bless you for sharing this info.I wish you all the best.I will take a lot of points from here and save it for posterity.

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Blueboy,

Very well written... Good job there ! Much appreciated.

I, especially liked the area -2nd para, on "Job Finding Process"... good advice & quite thoughtful of u. May all the success follow u in your next endeavors, brother !!!

Thanks & regards,
Qorax

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueboy said:
Hi Guys,

I am posting after a long long time. After landing in Canada I have been trying to settle down and, most importantly, get a job. I am sharing my experience here which might help our brothers and sisters who are planning to come to Canada. I invite others too to share their "Finding a Job" experience, tip, tricks and any other points to remember.

God bless you all and All the best !!!
Thanks a lot for such a informative post. I wish you luck and thanks again for this post. :)

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi Friend,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Indeed, it will help a lot for aspirants like us. As you said finding a good job which suits our qualification and experience is the main concern for all of us.

I don't know why employers didn't like or didn't give much importance to work experience from India, Pakistan or Middle East!! On the other hand, guys from these countries are performing in every spheres of life. Anyways, thanks once again for your kindness to share your experience and wish you the very best.

Regards,

Satish

laxmikanthms

Dec 31, 2009
Toronto,Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-07-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-02-2010
AOR Received.
June-14-2010
IELTS Request
Already Done
File Transfer...
Feb-10-2010
Med's Request
Nov-01-2010
Med's Done....
Dec-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-13-2011
LANDED..........
May-07-2010 (Before PR Approval on Workpermit)
Highly appreciate your efforts in sparing your time for others.

Very informative.

Thanks a million.

Regards,
Laxmikanth

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
satish_lkb said:
Hi Friend,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Indeed, it will help a lot for aspirants like us. As you said finding a good job which suits our qualification and experience is the main concern for all of us.

I don't know why employers didn't like or didn't give much importance to work experience from India, Pakistan or Middle East!! On the other hand, guys from these countries are performing in every spheres of life. Anyways, thanks once again for your kindness to share your experience and wish you the very best.

Regards,

Satish
The main reasons why employers in Canada do not consider personnel from such countries cause these countries that u have listed are developing economies and developing countries, which have different systems and different cultures in ways things are done compared to canada. However such rejection does not mean these countries do not produce excellent and great employees, they simply do not recognise and would not want to risk such cases of failures if they do hire one who fails in a jobs or arent successful. So what one has to do is NETWORK and find the references that u need to be able to land the job that u need. I believe networking or getting a qualification that is equalvalent to a Canadian one will definitely boost yr credentials or yr chances of a good employment.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
The main reasons why employers in Canada do not consider personnel from such countries cause these countries that u have listed are developing economies and developing countries, which have different systems and different cultures in ways things are done compared to canada. However such rejection does not mean these countries do not produce excellent and great employees, they simply do not recognise and would not want to risk such cases of failures if they do hire one who fails in a jobs or arent successful. So what one has to do is NETWORK and find the references that u need to be able to land the job that u need. I believe networking or getting a qualification that is equalvalent to a Canadian one will definitely boost yr credentials or yr chances of a good employment.
Well said. I completely agree

ruka

Apr 7, 2008
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10/02/2010 (old)
Doc's Request.
16/04/2010 (old)
AOR Received.
11/08/2010 (old)
File Transfer...
20/04/2010 (old)
Good thread. Thx blue boy,

I hope more people would contribute !!

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
Absolutely. You need to play smart and prove yourself whenever you get the right opportunity.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Hi blueboy,

Thanks for your post. Its truely informative, concise, positive and useful information for newcomers and applicants.

Wishing you all the best.

Cheers..