+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial proof for parents and sister's temporary visitor visa

Greenhorn

Nov 10, 2015
Hi,
I am in the process of applying for short term visitor visa for my parents and sister and I have a question around how to satisfy the requirement around the proof of funds?
My father has prepared a financial proof statement certified by his chartered accountant in India which shows all the assets - movable and immovable enough to show their ties to go back to India. The problem is when it comes for the actual cash in hand - he has around 8,000 CAD in the bank accounts for both my mom and dad. Given that I will be sponsoring the trip - including accommodation, flights, food, any other expenses etcetera, will these 8,000 be sufficient?
If not, then should I actually transfer some amount to his account in India OR can I attach copy of my statement from Canadian bank account and provide a letter of sponsorship which says that I am responsible to pay for any expenses my parents and sister would incur during their stay in Canada?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Thanks!
Greenhorn

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

You can check some suggestions here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitor-visa-for-family-mother-father-brotherhousewarming-t477178.0.html

For TRVs, applicants must prove that they can pay for their visit. Your finances are secondary. Also, the greater the financial dependence on you (the host), the lower the chances of getting approved.

If not, then should I actually transfer some amount to his account in India
This is a big no-no. Their funds/available finances must match their declared sources of income

Each applicant must prove their individual and collective ties to India

Cheers

Greenhorn

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks Bryanna! Points noted.

I was also reading up on CAN+ program for Indian citizens who have travelled to US in the last 10 years. My parents fall in that category. From your other posts, I understand that there is no different application for CAN+ and that it should just be noted on the cover letter/invite letter.

Is there a different clause as well which states that online submissions will not be considered under CAN+ and only paper submissions are?

On similar lines, in your experience - have you seen paper applications having a better approval rate as compared to online apps?

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is there a different clause as well which states that online submissions will not be considered under CAN+ and only paper submissions are?
Both online and paper submissions are considered for CAN+

For paper apps: Include their passports which have the US visa + request the VFS staff to consider their apps under CAN+.

For online: They must scan the US visa + entry/exit stamps and include this in the cover letters. Also, do state that they are applying under CAN+. You can include similar cover letters even for paper apps

Online or paper submissions do not impact the chances of being approved. They must prove their ties to India. Their previous US visit will certainly help

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Greenhorn said:
Hi,
I am in the process of applying for short term visitor visa for my parents and sister and I have a question around how to satisfy the requirement around the proof of funds?
My father has prepared a financial proof statement certified by his chartered accountant in India which shows all the assets - movable and immovable enough to show their ties to go back to India. The problem is when it comes for the actual cash in hand - he has around 8,000 CAD in the bank accounts for both my mom and dad. Given that I will be sponsoring the trip - including accommodation, flights, food, any other expenses etcetera, will these 8,000 be sufficient?
If not, then should I actually transfer some amount to his account in India OR can I attach copy of my statement from Canadian bank account and provide a letter of sponsorship which says that I am responsible to pay for any expenses my parents and sister would incur during their stay in Canada?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Thanks!
Greenhorn
I would say 8000 is a bit low. You could transfer some money to their account, it doesn't harm. I support my family so I send money every month. It will not hurt your application.
You must also show your own bank balance, get certified statements and letter from your bank.
Make a reasonable trip itinerary, book some refundable hotels, provide hotel bookings.
And show enough tie with their country/residence so that they would go back after the trip.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
riasat.abir said:
I would say 8000 is a bit low. You could transfer some money to their account, it doesn't harm. I support my family so I send money every month. It will not hurt your application.
You must also show your own bank balance, get certified statements and letter from your bank.
Make a reasonable trip itinerary, book some refundable hotels, provide hotel bookings.
And show enough tie with their country/residence so that they would go back after the trip.
This will increase their chances of getting refused.

1. Yes, CAD 8,000 is low for three applicants. Transferring money to their accounts means they are financially dependent on the OP = greater chances of refusals

2. Why must his family book hotels? They will be staying with him + hotel booking means they must show more available funds to pay for the hotels.

The OP has not indicated about his sister's financial situation, or her ties, or if his parents are retired/business. If CAD 8,000 is the available funds for all three applicants then I would suggest that he applies only for his parents. It's not easy to advise without knowing the full situation

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Bryanna said:
This will increase their chances of getting refused.

1. Yes, CAD 8,000 is low for three applicants. Transferring money to their accounts means they are financially dependent on the OP = greater chances of refusals

2. Why must his family book hotels? They will be staying with him + hotel booking means they must show more available funds to pay for the hotels.

The OP has not indicated about his sister's financial situation, or her ties, or if his parents are retired/business. If CAD 8,000 is the available funds for all three applicants then I would suggest that he applies only for his parents. It's not easy to advise without knowing the full situation
My parents application was refused for the first time, they only showed $10k of their own.
This time I contributed regularly and they sold a property and finally showed around $40k.
I made some trip itineraries saying I would take them to Victoria, Whistler, Banff/Jasper. So I booked hotels there.
They got the visa this time.

Greenhorn

Nov 10, 2015
Update:

1. I have decided to apply TRV for my sister at a later date, probably after getting an approval for my parents
2. I do support my family from time to time by sending money over, having said that, my father is in a PSU and my mom is a home maker. They have been able to squeeze out 4,000 CAD more from other accounts and I have sent over 1200 CAD each to both of their accounts (it would not stick out as a huge amount on their statements going by the volume of activity on the individual bank accounts), so the total available funds for my father and mother will be around 13-14k CAD - which I would want to believe are sufficient
3. Also, it would be a two week trip, thus, I do not think - showing any hotel bookings will make sense. Most of their time will be spent with us (the family) and perhaps some will be devoted for local sightseeing. The invitation letter's core theme to be centred around "visiting family" instead of "visiting Canadian outdoors"

The only dilemma which I am still facing is paper filing vs online. A bunch of consultants I have spoken with (in Canada and India) have suggested unequivocally that online rejections are much higher than paper rejections. I am not sure how much meat there is to this argument.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Regardless of submitting online/paper apps, you must prepare their applications/evidence/explanations well.

I would include an explanation for the recent CAD 1,200 to each of their accounts. If their bank balances do not add up to their declared income (which it won't in their case), the visa officer would like to know why.

I would not assume that these are seemingly small amounts which will go unnoticed,.... especially when converted into INR + these transfers will get noticed really quickly if there aren't many bank transactions in their bank statements.

So do explain these bank transfers. If, for example, you own a property in India, and you transfer money to pay the EMIs. Or for any other similar reasons

ziarehman80

Jan 6, 2017
Dear Bryanna,

i am going to apply TRV for my wife and two children (3 and 7 years old). did they all mentioned the amount "Funds Available for this Trip" individually while filling their application forms or the amount will be mentioned only by mother (Principal applicant).

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Greenhorn said:
Update:

1. I have decided to apply TRV for my sister at a later date, probably after getting an approval for my parents
2. I do support my family from time to time by sending money over, having said that, my father is in a PSU and my mom is a home maker. They have been able to squeeze out 4,000 CAD more from other accounts and I have sent over 1200 CAD each to both of their accounts (it would not stick out as a huge amount on their statements going by the volume of activity on the individual bank accounts), so the total available funds for my father and mother will be around 13-14k CAD - which I would want to believe are sufficient
3. Also, it would be a two week trip, thus, I do not think - showing any hotel bookings will make sense. Most of their time will be spent with us (the family) and perhaps some will be devoted for local sightseeing. The invitation letter's core theme to be centred around "visiting family" instead of "visiting Canadian outdoors"

The only dilemma which I am still facing is paper filing vs online. A bunch of consultants I have spoken with (in Canada and India) have suggested unequivocally that online rejections are much higher than paper rejections. I am not sure how much meat there is to this argument.
Scanned copies are easier to tamper compared to paper documents. Probably that's why online application sees more rejection if there is any chance of doubt, vo may reject it.
As they will be living with you, show some proof with your address of residence such as your driving license/utility bills.

Greenhorn

Nov 10, 2015
Bryanna said:
Both online and paper submissions are considered for CAN+

For paper apps: Include their passports which have the US visa + request the VFS staff to consider their apps under CAN+.

For online: They must scan the US visa + entry/exit stamps and include this in the cover letters. Also, do state that they are applying under CAN+. You can include similar cover letters even for paper apps

Online or paper submissions do not impact the chances of being approved. They must prove their ties to India. Their previous US visit will certainly help
Bryanna - Does the online application forms need physical signatures of the applicants? specially on the family information form (5645) and family member representative form (5713)?

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Greenhorn said:
Bryanna - Does the online application forms need physical signatures of the applicants? specially on the family information form (5645) and family member representative form (5713)?
Yes

Greenhorn

Nov 10, 2015
Are you sure, cause CIC website says otherwise:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=740&top=23

Can anyone who submitted the online application without putting physical signature and got an approval comment please?
I am specifically concerned about the following forms:
IMM5645, and
IMM5713 - family history

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
Greenhorn said:
Online forms do not require physical signature!!