28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
Hi there,

I am freaking out a little bit considering how close I am to actually sending in my application. I have a million and one things going on in my head and I really need help just to level me out.

So there is a lot to this, but I will try to summarize it

I live in Canada, he lives in the USA.

We both live with our parents because money has always been tight since all that we can find for work in our respective areas were part-time work AND since meeting each other, we knew that it would be best, and as our respective parents have suggested, just to stay at home until the paperwork is done and we can just move in with each other etc. The LICO that they provide (which involves kids I know but I'm using as reference) shows that I made about 10,000 less than expected for 1 person (because it was parttime work and yes, I was looking for a second job during this plus going to school so I didn't HAVE to keep doing part-time)

He finally got a full-time job in the states and has been helping back and forth with bills etc during this time.

This year NOA will say about the same thing as this years', as I have graduated from school and gone into my career. My career starts you off at part-time for the first year (I hit my year in August of this year) and after that, they allow you to do fulltime, which I have been doing and the money I am making will be MUCH closer to their bracket, but still under it (I also have the potential to work more at will in my job because I am self-employed technically)

The whole reason we are filing for PR for my husband is so when he gets here (he has no skills or trades) that he can get a job. then, we could EASILY afford a life together.

I am just sort of freaking out because while I want to explain the situation to them, I'm not sure if I should include a handwritten note explaining each part of the application or what is currently going on financially.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but honestly, I have been so stressed out about it, its crazy.

Last, of note, we do have a good-sized savings in our savings account as a safety net. Do they consider this as "financial support?"

Thanks so much for the help!

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Hey there!

"Income requirement
In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

• you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
The Financial Evaluation form instructions explain how much money you’ll need and how to fill out the form.

You’ll get the form when you download your application package."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

If you don't have a dependent child, then you basically just have to provide your NOA. They won't reject you for not fitting a certain cap/having a part time job.

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
"Last, of note, we do have a good-sized savings in our savings account as a safety net. Do they consider this as "financial support?""

If you're referring to financial support in the checklist, then yes, having a savings account that you both have access to, sending/sharing funds, etc. can be used as proof that you're in a genuine marriage. If it's more difficult to prove financial support, focus on the other proofs.

I applied inland though, so I'm not 100% sure what the differences are for outland applicants.

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
Hey there!

"Income requirement
In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

• you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
The Financial Evaluation form instructions explain how much money you’ll need and how to fill out the form.

You’ll get the form when you download your application package."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

If you don't have a dependent child, then you basically just have to provide your NOA. They won't reject you for not fitting a certain cap/having a part time job.

I am just freaking out because obviously I love him and want to be with him, and we are both willing to work twice as hard as we have been (which is already a lot honestly) to be together. I have proof that I am now earning over double what I have been, but I'm just worried my application will be rejected based on me honestly not being able to support him if he wasn't working.

I would try, which is what the money in savings is for, but he really needs PR status so he can work and contribute.

Maybe I'm just overthinking because so much rides on this. I know everyone here can relate to that feeling

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
"Last, of note, we do have a good-sized savings in our savings account as a safety net. Do they consider this as "financial support?""

If you're referring to financial support in the checklist, then yes, having a savings account that you both have access to, sending/sharing funds, etc. can be used as proof that you're in a genuine marriage. If it's more difficult to prove financial support, focus on the other proofs.

I applied inland though, so I'm not 100% sure what the differences are for outland applicants.
I worded that wrong, I meant does having money in savings count as financial support for being able to 'take care of him' as a sponsor.

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
I worded that wrong, I meant does having money in savings count as financial support for being able to 'take care of him' as a sponsor.
No problem, just making sure I understand. :)

There is no income requirement to sponsor your spouse. The fact that you have a part time job is great! Immigration understands that your spouse will likely not be immediately working as soon as he gets PR. The fact that you have people like your parents who are supporting you is also great. But you are NOT required to make a certain threshold to sponsor your spouse.

Read below:

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:
  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
Having income and living with your parents is a pretty good stand that you can "provide for the basic needs of [your spouse]."

This is also mostly saying that if your spouse goes on welfare after you've sponsored them, you're on the hook and the government will ask you to pay that back.

Everyone's financial situations are different. Once your apply, IRCC will let you know if you need more documents. You'll be okay!

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
No problem, just making sure I understand. :)

There is no income requirement to sponsor your spouse. The fact that you have a part time job is great! Immigration understands that your spouse will likely not be immediately working as soon as he gets PR. The fact that you have people like your parents who are supporting you is also great. But you are NOT required to make a certain threshold to sponsor your spouse.

Read below:

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:
  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
Having income and living with your parents is a pretty good stand that you can "provide for the basic needs of [your spouse]."

This is also mostly saying that if your spouse goes on welfare after you've sponsored them, you're on the hook and the government will ask you to pay that back.

Everyone's financial situations are different. Once your apply, IRCC will let you know if you need more documents. You'll be okay!

I REALLY appreciate your help. You have no idea how much of a god send you are to just lend an ear and help me out while I'm trying to screw my brain on right. Its a hard time of year to add to it all.

This has helped me considerably. Thank you :)

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
Also, should I write out and explain that about my income how I am going from part-time to full time just to give some context on a separate piece of paper or something? I don't want to do anything they aren't looking for but I also feel like handing them 50 screenshots or whatever without context is odd.

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Also, should I write out and explain that about my income how I am going from part-time to full time just to give some context on a separate piece of paper or something? I don't want to do anything they aren't looking for but I also feel like handing them 50 screenshots or whatever without context is odd.
Only provide what they ask for. If they need additional documents, they'll ask.

My best advice is to really just take it one step at a time. Look through the checklist, get your documents, and prepare them in the order of the checklist. Try to be as straight forward as possible. Take your time, have someone else review your documents, and read the Guide. As long as you pay attention to what they ask for and make sure you provide everything, sign everything, and pay your fees correctly, then you're pretty much golden!

And to reiterate, if IRCC needs to clarify something with you, they will contact you! You'll have the opportunity to send more documents if necessary, so don't bother overcrowding your application just to be safe. That just means the visa officer has more to sift through which could potentially be confusing!

I'm glad I could help. It's a complicated process and very stressful when you're just trying to get things together.

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
Only provide what they ask for. If they need additional documents, they'll ask.

My best advice is to really just take it one step at a time. Look through the checklist, get your documents, and prepare them in the order of the checklist. Try to be as straight forward as possible. Take your time, have someone else review your documents, and read the Guide. As long as you pay attention to what they ask for and make sure you provide everything, sign everything, and pay your fees correctly, then you're pretty much golden!

And to reiterate, if IRCC needs to clarify something with you, they will contact you! You'll have the opportunity to send more documents if necessary, so don't bother overcrowding your application just to be safe. That just means the visa officer has more to sift through which could potentially be confusing!

I'm glad I could help. It's a complicated process and very stressful when you're just trying to get things together.
Thanks again. I feel 100% better. You really helped level me out. This whole process is probably a lot easier than some, but it is still taxing.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks again. I feel 100% better. You really helped level me out. This whole process is probably a lot easier than some, but it is still taxing.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season :)
Good luck. As others have noted, you don't need to worry so much about this section.

You can certainly include, however, a short note saying you are working and have recently graduated (and expect to work full time in your field), you have savings (can't hurt to provide a printout of balance in one account, but don't overload with documents), and that your spouse works in home country and expects to work in Canadal. But keep it short, your case is pretty strong on this point, and your note is showing more about seriousness than detail.

Move on to worrying about all the other stuff, and particularly getting all the documentation right for submission.