+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finally Visas Have Arrived. Now Can We Enter Separately?

STN19

Aug 16, 2008
After being deported from Canada in sept 2007 me and my family have finally recieved our visas and perm. res.
We are sooo excited to start our lives in Canada.

However I have a question. My daughter in studying in the U.S. quite close to the Canadian border and the rest of the family is in Europe.

Is she permitted to enter Canada separatly? and meet us there?

Because otherwise we will have to meet her somewhere in the U.S. to enter Canada together and to save finances, we would rather like to avoid that.

And when we enter is it better to enter via land at the U.S. / Canadian border or through Pearson International Airport?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes, you can enter separately, and it makes no difference where (Canadian airport or overland from the US). Do whatever's easiest. If you arrive separately, the only restriction is that the principle applicant needs to land first.

ambar

Star Member
Dec 1, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
Doc's Request.
15-06-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-11-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
I agree with Matthew, it shouldn't be a problem to land separately and I don't think land versus Pearson
should matter at all.

Gluck to you!

fozia1000

Mar 21, 2010
HI....I WANT TO ASK U...... HOW DID U GET VISA AFTER BEING DEPORTED FROM CANADA.....well even i was deported frm canada since my case got refused, i want to know how i can go back.

please help
thanks

LOUIE_1981

Mar 10, 2010
HI first of all stn19 congrats on being accepted back to canada, thats a huge step right there, i am in the exact situation, we left canada, my wife was deported and we left in 2007, so can you show me what you did? I know its the ARC application, but can you show me to see if there is anything different that maybe i have missed i havent sent it in yet but want to make sure I havent made any mistakes.

thanks and good luck ;D

javcil

Star Member
Mar 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/01/2010
AOR Received.
01/03/2010
File Transfer...
04/02/2010
Med's Done....
11/12/2009
Interview........
21/04/2010
Passport Req..
21/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
22/04/2010
LANDED..........
16/07/2010
"If you and your sponsor meet all immigration requirements, the visa office will request you to submit passports and issue permanent resident visas to you and your family members accompanying you to Canada. You must then arrive in Canada either with or before your family members, and within the validity period of the visas."

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Actually having said what I did, I do remember reading that if a dependent arrives first, they wouldn't usually be turned away, rather CIC would allow them into Canada, and then grant PR status later, after the principle applicant arrives.

Still, it's definitely best if everyone arrives together, or the PA arrives first.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ah yes, I found it. ENF 4, 12.14:

ENF 4 — Port of Entry Examinations

12.14. Family members arriving before the principal applicant

Occasionally, a BSO at Immigration Secondary will encounter a family member who arrives
before the principal applicant and is seeking permanent residence. R51(b) requires a permanent
resident visa holder to establish that they and their family members, whether accompanying or
not, meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations. For a family member to meet these
requirements, it is usually incumbent on the principal applicant being admissible at the port of
entry. This also holds true for the principal applicant arriving before their family members.

A BSO encountering this situation should obtain the following information from the family member
or principal applicant:

• why the family member or principal applicant is preceding the rest of the family (for example,
    to seek accommodation or employment, lack of a seat on the aircraft carrying the principal
    applicant, etc.);
  • when the rest of the family is due to arrive; and
  • the person's means of support.

The BSO should complete the verification process but should not grant permanent resident status
to the family member. If the person has a valid permanent resident visa and the BSO is satisfied
that the rest of the family intends to come to Canada, the BSO may wish to defer the examination
pursuant to A23 in order to obtain more information or wait until the rest of the family arrives so
they may be examined.

The BSO should enter the information into FOSS by means of an NCB, which indicates that the
granting of permanent residence has been deferred pending the arrival of the rest of the family.

If the BSO has reasonable grounds to believe that the rest of the family will not be coming to
Canada, the BSO should initiate enforcement action unless the person qualifies in their own right
for permanent resident status.
So, it's possible the dependent would be let in to Canada temporarily (deferred examination), but it would certainly be a hassle, and at the very least the dependent wouldn't be able to become a PR until after the PA arrives anyway.

Ypatel

Jun 24, 2014
Hi, thanks for your answer. i am still looking some more detailed answer. are you sure we can enter in canada first time separately??? we applied PR together and we did medical together and have same PR expiration date. my understanding is that i think we have to mention during PR process if we wanted to enter separately in canada. i am asking only to avoid my india trip because i can not join connecting flight with my spouse because of she don't have usa visa. so i am planing to take after some time flight from usa and she fly from india and plan to join canada in few hours. if you have seen this before then please provide with some example, so it will be great help to me and i can make decision based on your answer. thanks advance for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ypatel said:
Hi, thanks for your answer. i am still looking some more detailed answer. are you sure we can enter in canada first time separately??? we applied PR together and we did medical together and have same PR expiration date. my understanding is that i think we have to mention during PR process if we wanted to enter separately in canada. i am asking only to avoid my india trip because i can not join connecting flight with my spouse because of she don't have usa visa. so i am planing to take after some time flight from usa and she fly from india and plan to join canada in few hours. if you have seen this before then please provide with some example, so it will be great help to me and i can make decision based on your answer. thanks advance for your help.
You can enter separately provided the primary applicant arrives first.

If you want examples, you are in the wrong part of the forum and should go looking in the skilled worker or provincial nominee sections of the forum.