+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finally a Canadian!

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear fellow members,

The wait was finally over, I became a Canadian citizen recently.
Came out of nowhere.
As CIC agents told me that I'd be scheduled for a hearing with a judge.
Since that was suspicious, I've applied for an ATIP report.
The ATIP report came through email and it was stating that I've got 20/20 in my exam, and that a judge has approved my citizenship 16 days after I applied for the ATIP (which makes me wonder, they might simply pulled my application from the dust and just approved it).
That same day ecas was updated with "we sent you a letter to appear and take your oath bla bla bla". And at the same day I received the official note.

My advice: 1. if anything starts to look strange, apply for your ATIP.
2. Do not believe everything CIC agents tell you, always recheck.
3. Announce you won't vote for the conservatives, at least not the first time you're going to elections (that might help).

My process took 27 months since start of August 1/2011, the oath took place October 25/2013.

Landed 2007 Montreal
Applied 08/2011
In process 10/2012
Test's written 02/2013

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats. Quebec, Atlantic Canada and the Prairie Provinces seem to be where CIC almost at a standstilll...the lengthy processing times seem to be all from these regions with BC/Ontario apparently faster.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats.

But why not vote for the conservatives?

CyberHawk said:
Dear fellow members,

The wait was finally over, I became a Canadian citizen recently.
Came out of nowhere.
As CIC agents told me that I'd be scheduled for a hearing with a judge.
Since that was suspicious, I've applied for an ATIP report.
The ATIP report came through email and it was stating that I've got 20/20 in my exam, and that a judge has approved my citizenship 16 days after I applied for the ATIP (which makes me wonder, they might simply pulled my application from the dust and just approved it).
That same day ecas was updated with "we sent you a letter to appear and take your oath bla bla bla". And at the same day I received the official note.

My advice: 1. if anything starts to look strange, apply for your ATIP.
2. Do not believe everything CIC agents tell you, always recheck.
3. Announce you won't vote for the conservatives, at least not the first time you're going to elections (that might help).

My process took 27 months since start of August 1/2011, the oath took place October 25/2013.

Landed 2007 Montreal
Applied 08/2011
In process 10/2012
Test's written 02/2013

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Congrats.

But why not vote for the conservatives?
Simple, it's because of them the processing time went from 6-8 months to 25/30 months.
If they treat immigrants like garbage then immigrants should not vote them in the elections once they become Canadians.

CyberHawk

Oct 31, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Congrats. Quebec, Atlantic Canada and the Prairie Provinces seem to be where CIC almost at a standstilll...the lengthy processing times seem to be all from these regions with BC/Ontario apparently faster.
Because Quebecers probably have to chat and drink lot of coffee and it takes time, doing their job clearly prevent them from doing more important thing, which is drinking more coffee and having more chats.
Anyway, for me the wait is finally over. ;D

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did you know that? could you refer me to an article or website that stated that the conservatives were responsible?

And I thought the reason why the processing time sky rocketed was because of the number of applications today compared to the 80s/90s.

CyberHawk said:
Simple, it's because of them the processing time went from 6-8 months to 25/30 months.
If they treat immigrants like garbage then immigrants should not vote them in the elections once they become Canadians.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CyberHawk said:
Because Quebecers probably have to chat and drink lot of coffee and it takes time, doing their job clearly prevent them from doing more important thing, which is drinking more coffee and having more chats.
The one thing uniting all Canadians is coffee eh! ;D

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some facts to the processing/ political angle

1. The Liberals lowered the FSW passmark to 67 increasing the PR pool and by default the citizenship pool.

2. A policy of piggy backing sponsored applicants ie. PR sponsors their parent who then put their other children as dependents has added to the PR pool and again by default to the citizenship pool.

3. All parties haven't bothered to redress that residence is not physical presence in Citizenship Act so people who really have no business applying can since the law allows them to do so..it then deals with this by issuing RQs, sending applicants to the Judge etc. This holds everyone up not to mention the messy case law from the Federal Court....the judges must groan when they see yet another 'residency' based appeal...they have expressed their displeasure many a time.

4. Tories won majority by winning ethnic ridings in Ontario - so yes for each immigrant know that the brethren helped put the government in a position of power they never dreamt of. Maybe come 2015 they won't do this but its too early to tell where the economic situation will be at election time as its what will determine the election not immigration issues.

5. Citizenship fee is too low with taxpayers effectively subsidizing applicants.

6. Residence period at 3 years coupled with reduced resource and 200k+ PRs each year added to the citizenship pool is not workable. An easy target is to increase this to 5 years in line with other major countries.

7. Cutbacks at CIC for cost savings - given these for a labor driven job..hey you can't automate the process so a computer picks up RQ triggers when it scans the application its unreal to cut back when you have more applications!

8. Lack of exit controls/ complete record of movements by CBSA/CIC.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@msafiri:
speaking of which msafiri did you get your citizenship yet? I haven't heard anything from you (its also possible that I missed your post if you have let known) about your hold-up. If I recollect things correctly I knew you from early 2012 with the other people stuck up at that time like gamasa and so on. curious on where you're at now. will be glad if you let me know. thanks.

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
CyberHawk said:
It is very easy to assume that someone is drinking coffee.
there is a proverb that says in my language : a prostitute woman call another woman prostitute before her reputation go out.
Maybe you are the one who drink a lot of coffee CyberHawk.
You know why Quebecers application take all this time. 5 immigration judges for all the province of Quebec. while in GTA and mississauga they have 12 judges. that is a fact.