+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Final Landing in Toronto with layover in Vancouver - Confused about Immigration

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Guys,

I got the PR recently and going to Toronto for the first time. Will be flying on Air Canada. Its having a Layover of 1 hr 30 minutes in Vancouver and then will fly for Toronto which is my final destination.

I am in little dilemma as I am not sure of Immigration things at Vancouver. I read somewhere that at Vancouver I have to take my luggage and go through Customs and Immigration check and then board the plane.
I have the same flight that is going from Sydney to Toronto via Vancouver.
If I have to go through customs and immigration then I doubt it would be done in just 1:30 hours and I may miss the flight.

Please help. Anyone who has some knowledge about it. please share.

Thanks
Silvi

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
dan_and said:
You will have to do all formalities including your landing in Vancouver.

1:30h is a pretty short connection considering the above. I would recommend to reschedule your connecting flight to leave more time.
Thanks Dan

I can't reschedule it now, its booked by my company. Do I have to take out my luggage as well at Vancouver?
Can't I do it in Toronto? I wont be getting out of airport at Vancouver.

Thanks
Silvi

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
dan_and said:
The US and Canada operate differently from most other countries.

Every traveler (afaik) has to go through immigration and customs at their first port of entry in Canada. In your case, that's Vancouver.

You must retrieve your checked luggage and present it for inspection at the customs check point. Usually, there will be a baggage re-check facility straight after the checkpoint.

You will also have to do your landing, i.e. you have to inform the border officer that you intend to activate your permanent residency. There will be no chance to do this in Toronto because you will be on a domestic flight (which is probably a codeshare with your airline).

Best bet is to call your airline and verify.
Thanks Dan
I am travelling from Sydney to Toronto. Flight is same Aircanada A34 from Sydney to Vancouver to Toronto. There is no codeshare.
So In this case immigration happens before I recheckin my luggage or after.
Or I go to immigration straight after landing and then pickup my luggage then go to Customs and then recheckin.

Whats the order?

Silvi6

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
I don't know about luggage, but the immigration formalities will definitely be in Vancouver, that's the POE. In a Canadian Orientation Abroad meeting they specifically stated that if you're flying to a Canadian city with a connection in Toronto, your landing will be in Toronto. I don't see why this case should be different.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
All explained on the air canada site https://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/images/yvr.pdf you clear customs immigration in vancouver given if nothing else the vancouver to toronto section is a domestic sector.

As others have said check the specific flight numbers with the airline but if you look on Air Canada site for ac034 frm Sydney to Toronto it specifically says you collect luggage at vancouver for customs and immigration and once through drop at the connections desk. This implies Vancouver to Toronto is domestic so 90 minutes in Vancouver probably tight to land as immigrant.

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
I have the same dilemma.

I am planning to do my landing soon. My destination is Vancouver, BC but I have to take a connecting flight from Edmonton to Vancouver. In this case, I assume my POE will be Edmonton. And this is where I will have my landing interview. So how much time would be sufficient in transit to be able to finish my interview and join my connecting flight. At the moment, KLM transit times in Edmonton is 1h50m...

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
mcadam said:
I have the same dilemma.

I am planning to do my landing soon. My destination is Vancouver, BC but I have to take a connecting flight from Edmonton to Vancouver. In this case, I assume my POE will be Edmonton. And this is where I will have my landing interview. So how much time would be sufficient in transit to be able to finish my interview and join my connecting flight. At the moment, KLM transit times in Edmonton is 1h50m...
It all depends upon how mnay international flights are landing around that time. I would say at least give 2 hrs.

AJ85

Jun 3, 2015
Hi, can you please update about your landing experience? My final destination is Edmonton but i'll first land at Toronto, have a layover of 3 hours before the fiight to Edmonton. So do i have to do all the landing formalities at Toronto airport? My family will be accompanying me (wife and toddler) so wondering if 3 hours will be enough...

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Hi, can you please update about your landing experience? My final destination is Edmonton but i'll first land at Toronto, have a layover of 3 hours before the fiight to Edmonton. So do i have to do all the landing formalities at Toronto airport? My family will be accompanying me (wife and toddler) so wondering if 3 hours will be enough...
Yes you would do all landing formalities in Toronto, including collecting and re-checking your baggage. I'm not sure if 3hrs. is sufficient since I've never been at YYZ - but depending on the volume of travelers, clearing immigration can definitely take a while. When I did the landing for my work permit at YVR (Vancouver) last year it took me nearly an hour from gate to arrivals.

Reactions: AJ85