+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

filling up form IMM 5708 (application to extend my stay as visitor)

iamchevie

Sep 29, 2017
Greetings to all! though i've been trying to find an existing thread abt my concerns but unfortunately I cant find a situation similar to mine. so here is a back story and my questions:

I am still waiting for a decision on my Inland Spousal Sponsorship and as of now I am holding a Visitor record expiring on Feb 1, 2018. I want to renew them since its taking them 4mos to issue one but I am confused on some of the questions:

current country of residence - since I entered Canada as TFW in 2014 to 2016, tried to renew my wp but was refused in aug 2016. I applied restoration as visitor late sept then got my visitor record feb 2017. So im confused to what shall I put? shall I just put the latest as Visitor from feb 2017-feb 2018 OR I have to break it down from the start?

previous countries of residences - "during the past 5 yrs have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence.." Do I need to fill in the entire 5 years without gap? I haved lived in Singapore(2 yrs) then in Canada(3yrs)as worker,out of status and visitor. I hope I make sense.

employment- "details of employment for the past 10 yrs.." - does it include gaps when im unemployed?

TIA for all responses!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Greetings to all! though i've been trying to find an existing thread abt my concerns but unfortunately I cant find a situation similar to mine. so here is a back story and my questions:

I am still waiting for a decision on my Inland Spousal Sponsorship and as of now I am holding a Visitor record expiring on Feb 1, 2018. I want to renew them since its taking them 4mos to issue one but I am confused on some of the questions:

current country of residence - since I entered Canada as TFW in 2014 to 2016, tried to renew my wp but was refused in aug 2016. I applied restoration as visitor late sept then got my visitor record feb 2017. So im confused to what shall I put? shall I just put the latest as Visitor from feb 2017-feb 2018 OR I have to break it down from the start?

previous countries of residences - "during the past 5 yrs have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence.." Do I need to fill in the entire 5 years without gap? I haved lived in Singapore(2 yrs) then in Canada(3yrs)as worker,out of status and visitor. I hope I make sense.

employment- "details of employment for the past 10 yrs.." - does it include gaps when im unemployed?

TIA for all responses!
Residence - select "Other" and fill in the explanation box.

Previous countries - you would put the info for Singapore.

Employment - no gaps, list everything including periods where you were unemployed.

That said, it is WAY too early to apply for a visitor extension. You should wait until January. Alternatively, you can submit an Open Work Permit app instead.

iamchevie

Sep 29, 2017

Employment - no gaps, list everything including periods where you were unemployed.

That said, it is WAY too early to apply for a visitor extension. You should wait until January. Alternatively, you can submit an Open Work Permit app instead.
Thank you canuck_in_uk! the explanation box is so limited so probably just make it in a separate sheet? and I dont think its too early coz as Ive checked the process time and currently its 115 days for online application of visitor extension. I have an OWP app but since i was out of status at the time of submission I have to wait till the 1st stage approval for my spousal sponsorship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you canuck_in_uk! the explanation box is so limited so probably just make it in a separate sheet? and I dont think its too early coz as Ive checked the process time and currently its 115 days for online application of visitor extension. I have an OWP app but since i was out of status at the time of submission I have to wait till the 1st stage approval for my spousal sponsorship.
The processing time doesn't matter. As long as you submit the extension before your status expires, you will have Implied Status after expiry. If you apply too early, you run the risk of IRCC deciding you have enough time already and refusing the extension. Apply in January.

iamchevie

Sep 29, 2017
The processing time doesn't matter. As long as you submit the extension before your status expires, you will have Implied Status after expiry. If you apply too early, you run the risk of IRCC deciding you have enough time already and refusing the extension. Apply in January.
good point. I will do that! Im just so traumatized with not applying the visit visa before I submit my Spousal Sponsorship application which costs me not to have OWP. Huge thanks canuck_in_uk! Cheers!

Neeka

Apr 10, 2017
Hi all,

I'm applying to extend my visitor status while I wait for my spousal sponsorship to be processed.

In the third question on IMM5708 would I select 'extension of temporary resident status' or 'restoration of temporary resident status as visitor'?

I'm asking because when I selected restoration it wouldn't approve the PDF. Does extending temporary resident status apply to visitors too?

Any help would be really appreciated! All this applying and finding answers on CIC is turning my brain to mush!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I'm applying to extend my visitor status while I wait for my spousal sponsorship to be processed.

In the third question on IMM5708 would I select 'extension of temporary resident status' or 'restoration of temporary resident status as visitor'?

I'm asking because when I selected restoration it wouldn't approve the PDF. Does extending temporary resident status apply to visitors too?

Any help would be really appreciated! All this applying and finding answers on CIC is turning my brain to mush!
Hi

Restoration is only for people who have lost status and are now illegal.

SDOUGLAS

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Brampton ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga

Hi hoping you can help me out with imm5708 visitor extention. I am doing an in Canada spousal application and want to extend my stay. I’m not too sure tho how to answer some of the questions.

In the forms section: details of visit to Canada (I am in Canada so they are confusing)

1. Purpose of visit? Should I say other the state I’m doing spousal sponsorship or just say visit?

2. Indicate how long you intend to stay? What’s the date I should use? Should I put my out of status date then up to a year?

Another section : background information

Question 2c- have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada ? Should I select yes since I recently submitted in land sponsorship?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi hoping you can help me out with imm5708 visitor extention. I am doing an in Canada spousal application and want to extend my stay. I’m not too sure tho how to answer some of the questions.

In the forms section: details of visit to Canada (I am in Canada so they are confusing)

1. Purpose of visit? Should I say other the state I’m doing spousal sponsorship or just say visit?

2. Indicate how long you intend to stay? What’s the date I should use? Should I put my out of status date then up to a year?

Another section : background information

Question 2c- have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada ? Should I select yes since I recently submitted in land sponsorship?

Thank you!
1. Visit.

2. More than 6 months. Pick a date.

3. Yes.

Reactions: JaneLuv

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
Requesting @canuck_in_uk
Hi, i have a question regarding visitor visa application for my parents. They are here with me in Canada on visitor visa and going to file for an extension.
Question - have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada ?
Should i select Yes or No, considering they did apply for visitor visa application through which they came here.
Please help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Requesting @canuck_in_uk
Hi, i have a question regarding visitor visa application for my parents. They are here with me in Canada on visitor visa and going to file for an extension.
Question - have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada ?
Should i select Yes or No, considering they did apply for visitor visa application through which they came here.
Please help.
Yes.

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
Thank you very much.
@canuck_in_uk
I do have more question, I would greatly appreciate your time and opinion.

1) I would be supporting my parents financially, so under 'Proof of means of financial support' , I am thinking to include a letter of explanation written by me mentioning the reason why we are asking for the extension and that I will support them financially. Is this a right approach ? Would this be the right place to include this letter written my myself?

2) I am also thinking to include a letter of explanation written by my parents on the reason for extension under optional documents "Client information" . Do you think they need to show their bank statements and house property as well to show their ties back to home country?

I am confused with the letters - one from myself explaining the reason and taking financial liability , , and second letter from my parents explaining the reason of extension to support their application as the application is going from their CIC account . Which Categories should these letters go under ?

Any guidance would be super helpful !!

Last edited:

katie_sasa

Mar 13, 2020
Canada
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone,
I have a question about IMM5708, do I need to submit it with my spousal sponsorship submission package or I should submit that after I submit my spousal sponsorship package?
As now I am holding a visitor visa which expires in End of May, just wondering should I submit them all together? (PS I am applying OWP at the same time with the spousal sponsorship, so not sure do I need to submit IMM5708...)

Thanks in advance!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,
I have a question about IMM5708, do I need to submit it with my spousal sponsorship submission package or I should submit that after I submit my spousal sponsorship package?
As now I am holding a visitor visa which expires in End of May, just wondering should I submit them all together? (PS I am applying OWP at the same time with the spousal sponsorship, so not sure do I need to submit IMM5708...)

Thanks in advance!!
The visitor extension is submitted separately.

Reactions: katie_sasa

Parwaz

Mar 24, 2019
My parents want to extend the visitor visa. I have a question about the question :Check the box to indicate whether you have lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence for more than six (6) months in the past five (5) years.
They live in India, but regularly visit my sister in US. Although they have never stayed for over 6 months per stay, but in the last 5 years, the cumulative stay has been over 6 months.
Are they asking for cumulative stay or just stay per visit?

Thank you!