+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filling RC151

Star Member
Apr 14, 2012
I have been asked to submit RC151 form for tax purposes by CRA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/rc151.html

Reporting income:
- I was a part-time employee in Canada, so the income varied. Is it okay if I divide the taxable income by 12 and report it as such.
- The total global income of the year before coming to Canada was less C$ 2000 by converting them using https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/currency-converter/ is it fine.
- Should I give them anything else other than the form, like how would they verify what I tell is the right information or not (for the C$ 2000): would they just take my word for it.
- What does returning "resident of Canada" mean in CRA terms.

All of this seems confusing, can anyone with experience help me understanding it. Additionally, does anyone have an scanned version of https://shop.wolterskluwer.ca/en/preparing-your-income-tax-returns.html and if so can you share.

Regards.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have been asked to submit RC151 form for tax purposes by CRA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/rc151.html

Reporting income:
- I was a part-time employee in Canada, so the income varied. Is it okay if I divide the taxable income by 12 and report it as such.
- The total global income of the year before coming to Canada was less C$ 2000 by converting them using https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/currency-converter/ is it fine.
- Should I give them anything else other than the form, like how would they verify what I tell is the right information or not (for the C$ 2000): would they just take my word for it.
- What does returning "resident of Canada" mean in CRA terms.

All of this seems confusing, can anyone with experience help me understanding it. Additionally, does anyone have an scanned version of https://shop.wolterskluwer.ca/en/preparing-your-income-tax-returns.html and if so can you share.

Regards.
No idea what you mean about dividing by 12. You just list the total income for the year.

If by "less C$ 2000", you are trying to say you made less than $2000 for the year, how did you manage to feed yourself, let alone afford to immigrate to Canada? That is not believable.

Unless requested, you just submit the form. They will request further documents if needed. Note that lying about the income is fraud.

Pretty self-explanatory. Someone who was a resident, left and is now returning to reside.

Star Member
Apr 14, 2012
No idea what you mean about dividing by 12. You just list the total income for the year.

If by "less C$ 2000", you are trying to say you made less than $2000 for the year, how did you manage to feed yourself, let alone afford to immigrate to Canada? That is not believable.

Unless requested, you just submit the form. They will request further documents if needed. Note that lying about the income is fraud.

Pretty self-explanatory. Someone who was a resident, left and is now returning to reside.
  1. Sorry: total taxable income divided by 12 months to find an approximate amount of income to the date I became resident.
  2. Less than C$2000 was my reality of global income and money for immigrating to Canada was entirely through gift.
However, I understand that this reality cannot be even understood from a Canadian viewpoint. Should I support it with any further details. During this time, I had some money in Canadian banks in the form of GIC but the interest earned in total would be less than $200. Should I review them and add it (It is a hassle).​
3. Am I missing anything else.​

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
  1. Sorry: total taxable income divided by 12 months to find an approximate amount of income to the date I became resident.
  2. Less than C$2000 was my reality of global income and money for immigrating to Canada was entirely through gift.
However, I understand that this reality cannot be even understood from a Canadian viewpoint. Should I support it with any further details. During this time, I had some money in Canadian banks in the form of GIC but the interest earned in total would be less than $200. Should I review them and add it (It is a hassle).​
3. Am I missing anything else.​
1. Still no idea what you mean. You just put the actual income, no approximate.

2. Still not believable. If you had to be gifted the money to immigrate, how did you support yourself otherwise? When did you work to gain the required skilled experience to immigrate? You can likely expect scrutiny of your application. The interest is income and counts.

Star Member
Apr 14, 2012
1. Still no idea what you mean. You just put the actual income, no approximate.

2. Still not believable. If you had to be gifted the money to immigrate, how did you support yourself otherwise? When did you work to gain the required skilled experience to immigrate? You can likely expect scrutiny of your application. The interest is income and counts.
I guess, I have to check with someone who does this sort of stuff rather than doing it myself. I do not know the actual income, all I have is the amount mentioned in T4 slip for the whole year. About the rest, very hard to explain if the other person is oblivious to the social scenario of the place that I grew I up. Just to let you know there are (were) parts of the world were with $150 a month one can live peacefully with limitations. Thanks for letting me know that for CRA interest counts as income. If you know any detailed guides for this form, kindly let me know. Regards.

Star Member
Apr 14, 2012
For anyone going through the same issue: It is fine to put an approximate amount in terms of $ value, as I understand there can be at least two ways to calculate the conversion rate. Resident of Canada does not mean permanent resident of Canada, it means from what date one started residing in Canada (there are some requirements too).

Last edited:
Reactions: tallguywithbeard