+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filling out RC66 SCH E for Child Benefit

Discussion in 'Canadian Finance and Taxation' started by joeythecat, May 14, 2019 at 2:04 PM.

  1. We applied for the Canada Child Benefit as our daughter was born a few weeks ago. The CRA sent a letter in the mail saying they need us to fill out a form for them. I am having trouble figuring out the figures for each year that they are asking.

    My wife received her Permanent Residence Card in May 2018. I am a born and raised Canadian, so I have nothing to do with this form, I assume.

    My questions are, it is asking for the date that she "became a resident of Canada", does this mean when she became a Permanent Resident? She was here for 2 years on a work permit before she got her PR. What is the definition of a "Resident".

    Also, on the second page it is asking for income figures for up to 2 years before she became a resident. It says "Enter all income in Canadian dollars from all sources inside and outside Canada. Do not include income that you or your spouse or common-law partner have reported on a Canadian tax return. Enter "0" if you had no income."

    So does that mean if she became a "resident" when she arrived here on her work permit, we have to put her income for the 2 years prior to that? we have basically no idea what those figure would be from her time in Taiwan. She has filed Canadian taxes for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. Or does this mean when she became a permanent resident, she she needs to put her income for 2017 and 2016, but it says not to include any income that was previously reported on a canadian tax return.

    I am so confused.
  2. Sounds like the request was a mistake, as she was living in Canada and filing Canadian returns during the qualifying period. She needs to contact CRA and make sure she speaks with an agent specializing in CCB.
    joeythecat likes this.
  3. this is what I was thinking too, why do they need this after she has filed taxes for 4 years? Is it because it has only been 1 year since her PR?
  4. That form is required when people don't have Canadian tax returns in the qualifying years, so when she became a PR shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Share This Page