Filipino Winnipeg Immigrants -- Please share your settlement experiences

sheilala

Jan 19, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
I would like to know how life is like in Winnipeg for Filipino newcomers.

My 4-year old daughter and I are moving to Canada this March. our visas expire on March31. Not having had the chance before to travel to the North Americas (I was denied US tourist visas countless times!), the opportunity of living in Canada seemed promising. ;)

When i approached my boss a couple of weeks ago to tell him about my migration plans, he practically told me i was crazy to think of migrating and giving up my comfortable life here. I currently hold a managerial position, earning php850k minimum a year, living in my parents' house, using my parents' car, enjoying the services of a stay-in nanny and household help. a comfortable life but not a happy one.

when i move to winnipeg, i'll be staying with my sister-in-law, would still have to look for employment, and get child care for my daughter.

well, my boss' lecture gave me cold feet and made me seriously rethink things through.

is moving there really worth it? how are employment opporturnities in winnipeg? how is it like for a single mom to live in winnipeg?

with all these questions, you might be wondering why i applied in the first case. well, i didn't. my husband's sister sponsored us through the MPNP. unfortunately, my husband passed away roughly 6 months before we received formal communication re our nomination approval.

my going there is largely in part because of my late husband's wishes that we live there. yep, this is more of an emotional/sentimental decision rather than a logical one.

can you please share with me your settlement experiences?

thanks...sheilala

M

mrandmrsromero

I cannot comment on settlement, but I can talk to you as a woman who lived in Winnipeg for a number of years and has lived in many places throughout Canada.

First I will say this. Canada is a beautiful, amazing country full of opportunity for those who want to commit to the time, effort, education and determination it takes to open doors. If you are not coming here for a better economic opportunities, personal freedoms or an adventure/challenge, I would look long and hard at your decision. Sentimental reasons are nice, but only worth pursuing if you can afford it. I say this because it sounds like you already have a good job, home, and child care where you are now.

Winnipeg is a friendly town with a great arts and cultural community, but like any new place you will have to start at the bottom of most career sectors and work your way up to gain Canadian work experience. As a single mom, you have more challenges than most. If you don't have childcare through family arrangements you will likely have to wait in que for a decent daycare. And daycare is generally expensive, so you need to make sure you have enough left over in your budget from salary to pay for rent, utilities, food, clothing, and any other expenses in addition to childcare. It is unlikely you will be able to afford a nanny or house help unless you have an excellent job with executive level pay. That situation is generally more the exception than the rule.

All that said, if it is YOUR dream to come here (not the memory of your husband's dream), I say go for it. There will be a lot of support available to you if you seek it out and really want to make this your home. If you already have family here to help you with that - bonus - you are steps ahead of others coming on their own.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best for you and your daughter. If you decide to move to Winnipeg, let me know and I will be happy to put you in touch with people I know living there who can in turn put you in touch with people equipped to ease your transition. Good luck!

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
this is a question you need to answer yourself and no one really can take this burden from you. you might ask yourself what is your motivation coming to canada. do you expect a better life for yourself or for your child? the question is whether you'll be able to provide your child a better perspective in your home country or in canada under your circumstances. if all your family is in winnipeg and your ties to your home country are very loose, go for it. However, be honest to yourself and figure out what do you really expect from moving to canada. it's a tough place for immigrants and for a single mom it can be even tougher.

My personal rule of thumb for immigrants is: the more you're giving up in your home country, the harder the transition will be.
I personally would recommend every immigrant to leave all doors behind open that you have the chance returning to your home country and pick up where you left if you don't see a perspective in canada...

chrisdalop

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
If im earning 850K a year in the Philippines, I would rather stay. However why not visit Canada first. Give yourself a month or two and try to feel if you can survive the weather and life here. If you can find yourself here then go for it.

sheilala

Jan 19, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi mrandmrsromero, chrisdalop and clubcanada,

thanks for all your wonderful replies. i'd like you to know that i've decided to push through with our move to canada. i've talked once again to my bosses and they've accepted my decision. my daughter and i are flying there on march 23rd.

i've realized that, though this started out as my husband's dream, i want this too. i need this to jumpstart things and regain my zest for life.

things will be tough at the start, for sure. but i've got my family's support and plenty prayers, so i'm now willing to take that leap of faith.

do i know what life has in store for me over there? No! Am i willing to give it a try? Yeah, baby! :D

thanks guys and wish me and my daughter all the best.

jamesneil

Dec 31, 2011
welcome to winnipeg! i admire you for having the courage to take the leap of faith living in another country has alot of challenges but by being here you're already halfway there. goodluck!