+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino Reg. Nurse to Personal Support worker

April_11

Dec 12, 2018
Hi. I'm a Registered nurse in the Philippines and I'm going to study Personal support worker in Ontario this spring. Does anybody know what to expect from this course? what career prospects am I looking at when I complete this certificate course?

and its my first time to travel to Canada so any tips? dos and donts :) Much appreciated!

Reactions: Gee_101287

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked at the various economic immigration programs like PNP? It is pretty obvious that you are not a genuine student if you are an RN applying for a PSW course.

April_11

Dec 12, 2018
Have you looked at the various economic immigration programs like PNP? It is pretty obvious that you are not a genuine student if you are an RN applying for a PSW course.

Sorry? but what did you mean with
" It is pretty obvious that you are not a genuine student if you are an RN applying for a PSW course." ?

Got accepted by Niagara college, paid the full tuition and my visa processing is still ongoing in the Canadian embassy here in Philippines. Unless I might have misenterpreted what you just said, but I am a RN in Philippines who is going to be a student studying PSW and it is infact genuinely true. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A PSW is a big step backwards based on your current education and work history. In order to be approved for a visa your course of study needs to make sense based on previous degree(s) and work history and show that it will lead to career advancement. You'll have to wait and see but if you get refused it will be due to the fact that you are not viewed as a genuine student but you are using the PSW program as a means to immigrate. I would look into the PNP program if you are refused.

April_11

Dec 12, 2018
A PSW is a big step backwards based on your current education and work history. In order to be approved for a visa your course of study needs to make sense based on previous degree(s) and work history and show that it will lead to career advancement. You'll have to wait and see but if you get refused it will be due to the fact that you are not viewed as a genuine student but you are using the PSW program as a means to immigrate. I would look into the PNP program if you are refused.
Thank You and I might do that.

CrissaM.

Jun 6, 2019
Hi. I'm a Registered nurse in the Philippines and I'm going to study Personal support worker in Ontario this spring. Does anybody know what to expect from this course? what career prospects am I looking at when I complete this certificate course?

and its my first time to travel to Canada so any tips? dos and donts :) Much appreciated!
How was your application?

Audrey411

Nov 27, 2019
Hello! I know it has been awhile but just to update....

- I have finished my PSW course in Niagara College back December 2019.
- I applied for a PGWP, granted for a Year.
- for those PH RN who wants to study in Canada, please double check your course at thesame time process papers already to file towards NNAS. The earlier the better.
- Double check courses because it may grant you more points to contribute to your Nursing credentials and hopefully help you in your nsg. Equivalency. (check in to courses such as GERONTOLOGY, PALLIATIVE NSG, LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT etc.)
-PSW does not grant you any points on your nursing so it is a step backward but. Anyway, I was not able to practice nsg. In Philippines so even if I had taken up these Nsg related courses, it will not help me have a comparable to Canadian nsg equivalency.
- I am working now as a PSW and will try to work in small elderly homes to be granted a full time job leading to a Provincial Nomination Program for residency.

So there.
Lesson to learn:
Research. Research. Research. Thank you.

faitht

Apr 4, 2020

- for those PH RN who wants to study in Canada, please double check your course at thesame time process papers already to file towards NNAS. The earlier the better.
- Double check courses because it may grant you more points to contribute to your Nursing credentials and hopefully help you in your nsg. Equivalency. (check in to courses such as GERONTOLOGY, PALLIATIVE NSG, LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT etc.)
-PSW does not grant you any points on your nursing so it is a step backward but. Anyway, I was not able to practice nsg. In Philippines so even if I had taken up these Nsg related courses, it will not help me have a comparable to Canadian nsg equivalency.
- I am working now as a PSW and will try to work in small elderly homes to be granted a full time job leading to a Provincial Nomination Program for residency.

So there.
Lesson to learn:
Hi Audrey! I'm an PHRN as well and I got my LOA from Centennial few weeks ago. I've also paid the reservation fee and will pay 1 year tuition once ecq is lifted. May I know what docs you've submitted to make your application stronger? I am afraid that the visa officer will deny my application. Thank you

faitht

Apr 4, 2020

So there.
Lesson to learn:
Hi! Congratulations by the way. May I know what you wrote in your SOP/LOI? I'm also a RN here in PH and got admitted in Centennial College for PSW. I have paid my fees and I am working on my statement of purpose or letter of intent pls help

Reactions: JaneM.

Audrey411

Nov 27, 2019
Hi! Congratulations by the way. May I know what you wrote in your SOP/LOI? I'm also a RN here in PH and got admitted in Centennial College for PSW. I have paid my fees and I am working on my statement of purpose or letter of intent pls help

HI! My SOP focused mainly on Immigration, as my family wanted to come to Canada for a better life. I also mentioned that I was planning on processing my papers to be a RN in Canada so as to practice the profession I have earned back home and also to contribute and serve the Canadian healthcare as best as I can, come the day.

faitht

Apr 4, 2020
HI! My SOP focused mainly on Immigration, as my family wanted to come to Canada for a better life. I also mentioned that I was planning on processing my papers to be a RN in Canada so as to practice the profession I have earned back home and also to contribute and serve the Canadian healthcare as best as I can, come the day.
Oh. You didn't mention about going home? I've read some articles that you have to state that you're going home or else visa will get rejected. When did you apply po? Thanks

Audrey411

Nov 27, 2019
Not entirely true. I made it clear that I was to go to Canada for my Family's future ergo stay and make a life here upto PR. However, if you are more comfortable mentioning that you will go home, that is alright too.

Also, I applied around November 2018. You're welcome.

Reactions: seetree