August 26, 2011
Passport Req..
February 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
February 17, 2012
LANDED..........
July 15, 2012
hi fellow kababayans!
i will be landing in Toronto (specifically Mississauga) on july with my husband and son. i have so many questions, please enlighten me.
can you please share your experiences regarding preparations that you made here? where did you purchase your tickets?
what are the things to bring? did you had your goods to follow shipped? what forwarder and how much did it cost? if not, did you opt to pay the excess baggage instead?
how did you bring your money? in cash or bank draft?
did you buy health insurance since we can only apply for the OHIP after 3 months? did you purchase here or upon arrival in Canada?
what are the important things to do first once you arrived? SIN card or open a bank account or look for job or apply for driver's license?
what are the requirements in opening a bank account and applying for a credit card?
how was your experience in applying for a driver's license?
thanks a lot! :)

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I live in Alberta, but perhaps my answers can help.

- I purchased my ticket through a travel agent. This is the easiest way.
- Bring what you need for your initial settlement. Clothes, shoes, and anything that has sentimental value to you that has reasonable bulk and weight. Remember you are limited to baggage weight unless you don't mind paying for the excess.
- I brought only as much as I could carry through airline baggage. In 2005, the baggage allowance was 2 pieces, with a maximum of 75 pounds each (Philippine Airlines). Nowadays, the baggage allowance can be lower.
- I brought travellers checques (TC) and cash. I think TC's cost more, but it worked for me.
- I don't know about the health insurance policies in Ontario, but in Alberta I think we're covered right after getting Alberta Health Care. You can probably apply for Travel insurance for the first month and shop for subsequent insurance for the succeeding months in your province.
- First and foremost apply for your SIN as soon as possible. Then open a bank account (it's quick and easy), start applying for work. While still looking for work, you can have the time to apply for your driver's license and take a road test.
- For information on how to open a bank account in Canada, please check this link: http://www.cba.ca/en/consumer-information/40-banking-basics/83-opening-a-bank-account You can use your Philippine passport as a form of identification.
- When you apply for a credit card for the first time, you are considered one as with *no credit history*. Your Philippine credit history, or a certification of good credit from your old bank won't be accepted. It is better to show you have money in the bank, and apply for a "secured" credit card. The bank will hold a certain amount of your money like $500, equivalent to your credit limit, as a guarantee that you can pay off your loan. Pay off your balance as quickly as you can, without incurring any interest. With a secured credit card, you can start building a credit history. After a year or so, you can call your credit card provider and you can ask to be let go of the secured credit card and they will return the $500 to you, and your credit card will become "normal". After some time you can again call the credit card company to ask for a credit limit increase.
- Ontario Driver's license procedures may be different from Alberta's.

vpct

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2011
AOR Received.
May 2011
Med's Request
August 3, 2011
Med's Done....
August 26, 2011
Passport Req..
February 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
February 17, 2012
LANDED..........
July 15, 2012
Beaver said:
I live in Alberta, but perhaps my answers can help.

- I purchased my ticket through a travel agent. This is the easiest way.
- Bring what you need for your initial settlement. Clothes, shoes, and anything that has sentimental value to you that has reasonable bulk and weight. Remember you are limited to baggage weight unless you don't mind paying for the excess.
- I brought only as much as I could carry through airline baggage. In 2005, the baggage allowance was 2 pieces, with a maximum of 75 pounds each (Philippine Airlines). Nowadays, the baggage allowance can be lower.
- I brought travellers checques (TC) and cash. I think TC's cost more, but it worked for me.
- I don't know about the health insurance policies in Ontario, but in Alberta I think we're covered right after getting Alberta Health Care. You can probably apply for Travel insurance for the first month and shop for subsequent insurance for the succeeding months in your province.
- First and foremost apply for your SIN as soon as possible. Then open a bank account (it's quick and easy), start applying for work. While still looking for work, you can have the time to apply for your driver's license and take a road test.
- For information on how to open a bank account in Canada, please check this link: http://www.cba.ca/en/consumer-information/40-banking-basics/83-opening-a-bank-account You can use your Philippine passport as a form of identification.
- When you apply for a credit card for the first time, you are considered one as with *no credit history*. Your Philippine credit history, or a certification of good credit from your old bank won't be accepted. It is better to show you have money in the bank, and apply for a "secured" credit card. The bank will hold a certain amount of your money like $500, equivalent to your credit limit, as a guarantee that you can pay off your loan. Pay off your balance as quickly as you can, without incurring any interest. With a secured credit card, you can start building a credit history. After a year or so, you can call your credit card provider and you can ask to be let go of the secured credit card and they will return the $500 to you, and your credit card will become "normal". After some time you can again call the credit card company to ask for a credit limit increase.
- Ontario Driver's license procedures may be different from Alberta's.
thank you for your response! now mas lower na nga yung limit for baggage. still 2 pieces but if economy class, 50lbs lang

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
vpct said:
hi fellow kababayans!
i will be landing in Toronto (specifically Mississauga) on july with my husband and son. i have so many questions, please enlighten me.
can you please share your experiences regarding preparations that you made here? where did you purchase your tickets?
what are the things to bring? did you had your goods to follow shipped? what forwarder and how much did it cost? if not, did you opt to pay the excess baggage instead?
how did you bring your money? in cash or bank draft?
did you buy health insurance since we can only apply for the OHIP after 3 months? did you purchase here or upon arrival in Canada?
what are the important things to do first once you arrived? SIN card or open a bank account or look for job or apply for driver's license?
what are the requirements in opening a bank account and applying for a credit card?
how was your experience in applying for a driver's license?
thanks a lot! :)
Hello! I'm based in Toronto.

- Don't bring too much stuff, you can buy here (although a lot more expensive)
- Bring enough cash for two weeks. You can wire the rest of your accounts as soon as you create an account in a bank here (RBC, TD, etc.)
- Some banks offer a credit card when you open an account. In RBC, it was easy for me.
- No experience with driver's license yet.

For more updates, my wife and I started a blog at buhayto.ca on our adventures in Toronto.

Good luck! :)

vpct

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2011
AOR Received.
May 2011
Med's Request
August 3, 2011
Med's Done....
August 26, 2011
Passport Req..
February 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
February 17, 2012
LANDED..........
July 15, 2012
regnard said:
Hello! I'm based in Toronto.

- Don't bring too much stuff, you can buy here (although a lot more expensive)
- Bring enough cash for two weeks. You can wire the rest of your accounts as soon as you create an account in a bank here (RBC, TD, etc.)
- Some banks offer a credit card when you open an account. In RBC, it was easy for me.
- No experience with driver's license yet.

For more updates, my wife and I started a blog at buhayto.ca on our adventures in Toronto.

Good luck! :)
thanks regnard!
ang concern ko lang naman talaga is our blow up wedding portrait, guitar, and my son's bike. nanghihinayang ako not to bring those. yun nga lang, di naman siya pwede with the baggage limit of the airline

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
vpct said:
thanks regnard!
ang concern ko lang naman talaga is our blow up wedding portrait, guitar, and my son's bike. nanghihinayang ako not to bring those. yun nga lang, di naman siya pwede with the baggage limit of the airline
We used bubble wrap and cloth for a photo we brought. I bought a case for my guitar (medyo mahal lang sa JB Music, pero walang gasgas yung guitar when it arrived here).

The bike? I think you need to ship that.

vpct

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2011
AOR Received.
May 2011
Med's Request
August 3, 2011
Med's Done....
August 26, 2011
Passport Req..
February 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
February 17, 2012
LANDED..........
July 15, 2012
regnard said:
We used bubble wrap and cloth for a photo we brought. I bought a case for my guitar (medyo mahal lang sa JB Music, pero walang gasgas yung guitar when it arrived here).

The bike? I think you need to ship that.
yung guitar ba equivalent to 1 checked-in baggage agad? pati yung frame? if you're talking about the leather guitar case, we have that na. there are 3 of us who will be travelling. based on cathay's website, the child also has the same baggage allowance as ours so plan ko we'll be bringing 4 balikbayan boxes, 2 luggages, laptop bag, 1 handcarry bag, 1 backpack. kaya di ko masama sa list to bring yung frame and guitar not unless i forego 2 balikbayan boxes in my checked-in baggages.
what do you think?

by the way, read your blog. add ka pa ng more stories if you have time.

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
vpct said:
yung guitar ba equivalent to 1 checked-in baggage agad? pati yung frame? if you're talking about the leather guitar case, we have that na. there are 3 of us who will be travelling. based on cathay's website, the child also has the same baggage allowance as ours so plan ko we'll be bringing 4 balikbayan boxes, 2 luggages, laptop bag, 1 handcarry bag, 1 backpack. kaya di ko masama sa list to bring yung frame and guitar not unless i forego 2 balikbayan boxes in my checked-in baggages.
what do you think?

by the way, read your blog. add ka pa ng more stories if you have time.
I had the hard shell guitar case-- it was counted as checked in baggage. (I think Delta gave us 3 baggage each with 25kg limit).

Given your planned baggage, baka hindi sulit na dalhin yung guitar and frame. :(

ivhanez

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Guys! Good day! We are planning to land in Toronto on the last week of June 2012. unfortunately wala kaming kamag anak or kaibigan na pwedeng mag assist samin or tumulong para maghanap ng ma s-stayan. nag b-browse ako sa mga sites regarding rentals but it seems na may mga requirements para maka pag rent like, employment history, credit history and etc..

Ask ko lang po if halimbawa katulad namin na first time pupunta sa Toronto na walang contacts, kamag anak at kaibigan; saan po kaya pwede makahanap ng temporary place na ma stay-an. un pong reasonable price po para sa nag s-start pa lang. baka po meron may idea sa inyo or pinapa rent na room. :) :-[

any inputs po will be a great help!

Marami pong salamat!

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
ivhanez said:
Hi Guys! Good day! We are planning to land in Toronto on the last week of June 2012. unfortunately wala kaming kamag anak or kaibigan na pwedeng mag assist samin or tumulong para maghanap ng ma s-stayan. nag b-browse ako sa mga sites regarding rentals but it seems na may mga requirements para maka pag rent like, employment history, credit history and etc..

Ask ko lang po if halimbawa katulad namin na first time pupunta sa Toronto na walang contacts, kamag anak at kaibigan; saan po kaya pwede makahanap ng temporary place na ma stay-an. un pong reasonable price po para sa nag s-start pa lang. baka po meron may idea sa inyo or pinapa rent na room. :) :-[

any inputs po will be a great help!

Marami pong salamat!
Yep, most rental companies, especially the bigger ones, ask for employment certification/credit check.

Do you have a specific area you're looking at right now?

ivhanez

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Sir Regnard!
salamat po ng madami sa reply. meron po kaming nakitang mga websites ung darryhouse for $850/month rent. but we are not sure kung saan malapit ito. ung preferred location sana po namin ung malapit sa downtown or financial center para mas convenient po sana humanap ng work. ung wife ko po kasi ay banking ang experience and ako naman po ay sa IT-Networks ang experience. naisip lang po namin na mag hanap ng place kung saan mas malaki ang chance and potential na makahanap ng work and long term na place. Meron din po kaming nakita ung sunnynewcomer pero hindi pa daw nila alam kung may available na room sa date ng landing namin. un po baka po may ma susugest kayo na place. salamat po ng madami!

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
ivhanez said:
Hi Sir Regnard!
salamat po ng madami sa reply. meron po kaming nakitang mga websites ung darryhouse for $850/month rent. but we are not sure kung saan malapit ito. ung preferred location sana po namin ung malapit sa downtown or financial center para mas convenient po sana humanap ng work. ung wife ko po kasi ay banking ang experience and ako naman po ay sa IT-Networks ang experience. naisip lang po namin na mag hanap ng place kung saan mas malaki ang chance and potential na makahanap ng work and long term na place. Meron din po kaming nakita ung sunnynewcomer pero hindi pa daw nila alam kung may available na room sa date ng landing namin. un po baka po may ma susugest kayo na place. salamat po ng madami!
Hello! Darryhouse is not very close to the downtown area-- siguro mga 45 minutes to 1 hour travel to the downtown core via bus/subway. Para kang nakatira sa QC going to Makati.

No info on SunnyNewcomer-- they don't have the address in their site.

ivhanez

Apr 4, 2012
thanks as info @regnard. search and research mode muna ulit kami. we still have 2 1/2 months na lang bago mag land. samalat po ulet ng madami!

yenz

Feb 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello fellow kababayans who will be landing in Toronto, we have an available room for single or couple for May14 until June 30,2012 .For details please e-mail at yenzeth@yahoo.com

CHAZ

Nov 14, 2011
hello...me & my 2 kids are scheduled to go to canada this coming july. May i know what are the question being asked by the immigration officer to a permanent residence upon arrival in vancouver??? Thank you so much in advance.