+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
For all filipino cpas who wants to come to canada or already landed, I wish you good luck!! Canada is a nice place to live and raise a family. You will experience hardship in finding a job you like but at the end is always a happy ending. Grab every opportunity that comes to earn canadian experience and pursue academic upgrading in accounting designation. You may experienced delivering pizza or washing the toilets but later on you will land that coveted accounting job that you like. As I have said before, work hard but don't lose faith. My own experience was a long road before I've got my accounting designation. The golden rule is "don't expect to much".

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
30-January-2013 (SSS, ITR, COE, Company ID)
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
together with the application
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
blue lagoon said:
For all filipino cpas who wants to come to canada or already landed, I wish you good luck!! Canada is a nice place to live and raise a family. You will experience hardship in finding a job you like but at the end is always a happy ending. Grab every opportunity that comes to earn canadian experience and pursue academic upgrading in accounting designation. You may experienced delivering pizza or washing the toilets but later on you will land that coveted accounting job that you like. As I have said before, work hard but don't lose faith. My own experience was a long road before I've got my accounting designation. The golden rule is "don't expect to much".
Hi Blue Lagoon,

thanks for sharing these words of encouragement. It is very helpful for us aspiring immigrants. Hope God will grant us the desires of our hearts.

Again, thanks

Gwyne

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi Gwayne,
You're welcome! are you in canada now or in pinas? In case you have question, don't hesitate to ask me and I will try to answer your query. I hope more pinoy cpas and other professionals will be encouraged to come to this great country.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
blue lagoon said:
Hi Gwayne,
You're welcome! are you in canada now or in pinas? In case you have question, don't hesitate to ask me and I will try to answer your query. I hope more pinoy cpas and other professionals will be encouraged to come to this great country.
Hi blue lagoon,

I'm still in pinas now. hoping to be able to apply early next year. Where are you in Canada? what province? I have some query regarding our credentials and they say it matters on what province you live..

ms.reannox

Jul 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct.10 2014, Charged Dec 17, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Jan. 16 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 3, 2015 reached Ottawa
File Transfer...
RPRF Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
Mar 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Mar 16, 2015; Uploaded Mar 23, 2015; 3rd Line: Mar 30, 2015
Passport Req..
May 26, 2015
14 weeks of waiting for our LMO. good vibes! ;)

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi Gwayne,
Yes you are correct. Every province have their own rules. Example is an assessment made in Ontario might not be acceptable in Alberta and vice versa. You said you have question about your credentials? What are those?

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
blue lagoon said:
Hi Gwayne,
Yes you are correct. Every province have their own rules. Example is an assessment made in Ontario might not be acceptable in Alberta and vice versa. You said you have question about your credentials? What are those?
Hi Blue Lagoon,

Yeah, I'm just curious, if ever ill be taking up CMA in Ontario and gained the designation, will I be able to practice it in Saskatchewan? On the other picture, how many years are we behind in our education compared to CA? like if we have 5 years accountancy program here, how many years it is equivalent in CA? How about those who had a Masters in Business Ad? This is just for the pointing system coming 2013.

TIA for taking time to answer.

God bless you and your family always.

Gwyne

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi Gwayne,
Once you've got you're accounting designation, it is recognized in every province but you have to register as member on that particular province you want to settle in. For entering the CA program, you will be required to satisfy some entry requirements as PICPA has no reciprocity agreement with any of the three accounting designation. It is most likely that you will be required to finished a tax course and business law before entering the CA program. In CASB, you will required to finished all the modules and at the same time must be working at a CATO accounting firm. The problem is, getting into CATO is almost nil because of new graduates that comes from university. But who knows...you may got lucky...otherwise, go to the CGA and CMA route where you can be employ in any industry and study for your designation part-time. Good luck to you!

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
Hi bluelagoon!

Are you pursuing any designation now? I landed last July 30 and I will be submitting documents for assessment to CGA ontario.

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi pfcastelo,
Congratulations and welcome to Canada! Did you enjoyed your summer? Well, it's now Fall which is my favourite. Good on you to hear that you will pursue the CGA route. "Go CGA go" and I really encourage you to try it and hopefully finish it too. Yes..I am a CGA. CGA is now becoming the largest organization however, there's the merger in front of us. I still don't know how fast it will happen but we already casted our votes at CGA Alberta. Did you know that I've started my CGA courses at CGA Ontario then have it transferred to CGA Alberta. Let me know if you have more questions...

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
blue lagoon said:
Hi pfcastelo,
Congratulations and welcome to Canada! Did you enjoyed your summer? Well, it's now Fall which is my favourite. Good on you to hear that you will pursue the CGA route. "Go CGA go" and I really encourage you to try it and hopefully finish it too. Yes..I am a CGA. CGA is now becoming the largest organization however, there's the merger in front of us. I still don't know how fast it will happen but we already casted our votes at CGA Alberta. Did you know that I've started my CGA courses at CGA Ontario then have it transferred to CGA Alberta. Let me know if you have more questions...
Hi blue lagoon,

Question about CGA. Ano meaning ng step 4?

"Step 4 of 4: Meet the degree requirement
Before you can receive the CGA designation, you must hold a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution. If you don’t have a degree when you enter the CGA program, you can complete your degree and the CGA program concurrently."

Thanks

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi pf:
That is were your IQAS assessment will come handy. I'm sure you have submitted this to your province CGA association and will provide information if your education is comparable to a Canadian degree. If not, you will be required to have a degree at exit point which means before you can receive the CGA designation. In CMA, a degree is required before you enter the program. Do you have a masters degree from pinas? If yes, then I would say you have completed this degree requirement.

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
blue lagoon said:
Hi pf:
That is were your IQAS assessment will come handy. I'm sure you have submitted this to your province CGA association and will provide information if your education is comparable to a Canadian degree. If not, you will be required to have a degree at exit point which means before you can receive the CGA designation. In CMA, a degree is required before you enter the program. Do you have a masters degree from pinas? If yes, then I would say you have completed this degree requirement.
I have not had an assessment yet by IQAS. What if while taking up CGA courses at CGA or a university, can I have it credited for a comparable Canadian degree?

Thanks for all the info

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
Hi Pfcastelo and blue lagoon,

Thanks for the info (questions) you have provided both. I may not in Canada now but I already did my assessment for CMA designation.. I have finished my Masters, however, I am ineligible to do the accelerated program of CMA due to the business law and taxation as well as the Advanced Financial Accounting (not sure why they have not accredited my Financial Accounting).

Hope this helps.

TA

Gwyne

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
@pfcastelo: I assumed you don't have a masters degree so your bs degree will not be comparable to canadian degree (usually 2nd year of study towards a degree). You may go to a university or college and have your credentials assess. Then go from there, finish your degree in concurrent with your cga studies.

@gwayne: you really need business law, taxation and advanced financial accounting to be eligible to write the CMA entrance exam (usual assessment for pinoys). The accelerated program is a preparation course prior to writing the CMA entrance exam. Hope this helps...