+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
30-January-2013 (SSS, ITR, COE, Company ID)
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
together with the application
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
Hi Blue Lagoon,

I thought the degree they need is our Bachelor's degree.. A friend of mine ask why my assessment have been indicated to have completed the degree while in her assessment it is still need to be completed. So I now presume that the Masters Degree plays a relevant role in the assessment, am I right?

But, I according to the evaluation, I still need to complet 8 more subjects though.

By the way Ma'am, what is our equivalent post secondary years in Canada if we have finished our Masters degree here in the Phil.?

Again, thank you for your valuable inputs.

Gwyne

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
jacinthemilton said:
Australia needs more CPA's so why not work there?
Hi jacinthemilton,

I am open in working in Aussie though but the thing is, I need to find an employer coz I don't have any relatives there and I have a 1 year old son and Australia is quite expensive in terms of rentals. In totality, I need a security for our adaptability issue. ;)

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi Gwayne,
Because of your MBA your education is comparable to BCOM in Canadian standard. You therefore satisfy the degree requirement.

Hi jacinthemilton: is there lots of accounting opportunities in australia? CGA has MRA with CPA Australia. I should consider get an MRA with CPA Australia.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
blue lagoon said:
Hi Gwayne,
Because of your MBA your education is comparable to BCOM in Canadian standard. You therefore satisfy the degree requirement.

Hi jacinthemilton: is there lots of accounting opportunities in australia? CGA has MRA with CPA Australia. I should consider get an MRA with CPA Australia.
Hi Blue Lagoon,

sorry for my ignorance but what is BCOM?
Also, approximately how many subjects do we need to take up before we can take CGA Examination?

Thanks

Gwyne

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi Gwayne:
Its bachelors of commerce degree. In the CGA program, you will be required to complete a number of courses based on the results of their assessment. Please refer on this:
Complete the academic requirements - The CGA designation requires you to complete:
Foundation & Advanced Studies - Transfer credits can reduce the number of courses you need to take.
Elective Courses - Refine your career path by choosing two electives. There are six to choose from.
Certification Courses - Certification Courses - You'll be well on your way to a rewarding life as a CGA once you complete Issues in Professional Practice and Strategic Financial Management.
Meet the employment experience requirement - All aspiring CGAs must have full-time work experience through which they develop their applied skills.
Meet the degree requirement - Before you can receive the CGA designation, you need a degree from a recognized college or university. Don't have one? You have the option to complete a degree at the same time as your designation.

Hope this helps! also, please visit the cga alberta website and look for becoming a cga.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
blue lagoon said:
Hi Gwayne:
Its bachelors of commerce degree. In the CGA program, you will be required to complete a number of courses based on the results of their assessment. Please refer on this:
Complete the academic requirements - The CGA designation requires you to complete:
Foundation & Advanced Studies - Transfer credits can reduce the number of courses you need to take.
Elective Courses - Refine your career path by choosing two electives. There are six to choose from.
Certification Courses - Certification Courses - You'll be well on your way to a rewarding life as a CGA once you complete Issues in Professional Practice and Strategic Financial Management.
Meet the employment experience requirement - All aspiring CGAs must have full-time work experience through which they develop their applied skills.
Meet the degree requirement - Before you can receive the CGA designation, you need a degree from a recognized college or university. Don't have one? You have the option to complete a degree at the same time as your designation.

Hope this helps! also, please visit the cga alberta website and look for becoming a cga.
Thanks so much Blue Lagoon.

I'll browse the site and will try to do credentials assessment once monetary fund is available. ;D

Thanks again.

gwyne

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
Wow, thank you so much blue lagoon. I assume you have Master's degree? How long did you complete your CGA?

I guess I need to study for my CGA and my degree.

Anyway, for newcomers in Toronto, I have an organization that offers to help in CGA assessment and enrollment. They are the Chinese Professional Association of Canada. The link is posted below. Try to call or visit them. Very helpful.

http://www.chineseprofessionals.ca/gateway-for-accounting-and-finances-professionals

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi pfcastelo:
That's a good organization you've mentioned. In Toronto there is also AFCA (Association of Filipino Canadian Accountants) where you could connect for networking and other activities. I am also a member of this organization. Here in Alberta, there is a bridging program for new immigrants who are internationally trained accountants to take accounting courses. This is funded provincially and I assume that Ontario has the same program. I encouraged you to take this program because it is free to newcomers like you. Also, please visit the site www.cpacanada.ca to know what's going to happen for students transitioning towards the cpa certification. Let me know if you have more questions.

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
blue lagoon said:
Hi pfcastelo:
That's a good organization you've mentioned. In Toronto there is also AFCA (Association of Filipino Canadian Accountants) where you could connect for networking and other activities. I am also a member of this organization. Here in Alberta, there is a bridging program for new immigrants who are internationally trained accountants to take accounting courses. This is funded provincially and I assume that Ontario has the same program. I encouraged you to take this program because it is free to newcomers like you. Also, please visit the site www.cpacanada.ca to know what's going to happen for students transitioning towards the cpa certification. Let me know if you have more questions.
Do you know if AFCA (Association of Filipino Canadian Accountants) has programs for new immigrants? I emailed them already and so far, no reply from them.

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi pfcastelo:
I'm not sure if they have that kind of program but just networking with filipino cpas and some who have canadian accounting designation. The chinese professional association is a good start for you because it is provincially funded. One more, check out www.professionnorth.ca as this provide bridging program in partnership with CMA ontario. You will be able to fulfill the prerequisite requirements for writing the cma entrance examination. Para ka na rin kumuha ng cma accelerated program that will prepare you to write the cma entrance exam. I'm happy for you and for other new immigrants kasi nong panahon ko walang assistance na ganyan from the government. Okay and let me know if this is helpful para na rin sa mga future immigrants na parating dito.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
Thanks a lot you both..

God bless you..=)

datuganol

Jul 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2009
Doc's Request.
Full Docs Sent: 26-05-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR Date July 12, 2010
File Transfer...
March 5, 2010
Med's Request
17-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sep-12.. Received by LVO 13-Sep-12
Interview........
I guess waived.
Passport Req..
26-Sept-2012
VISA ISSUED...
PP with VISA Received on 24-Oct-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully Q1 2013.
Guys, your discussions are very informative. Much appreciated.

Just a quick one, if you are CMA from IMA (US), is there any reciprocity or any consideration for Canadian CMA?

blue lagoon

Sep 20, 2012
Hi datuganol,
Information from both sites indicates that they have no existing MRA in place between CMA Canada and IMA. However, CIMA (UK) has MRA with CMA Canada.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
Hi,

Just passing by so our thread will be not lost..

any updates for FSW 2013?

:D