+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

ms.reannox

Jul 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct.10 2014, Charged Dec 17, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Jan. 16 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 3, 2015 reached Ottawa
File Transfer...
RPRF Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
Mar 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Mar 16, 2015; Uploaded Mar 23, 2015; 3rd Line: Mar 30, 2015
Passport Req..
May 26, 2015
Thanks harx for your info. :D

wondermae

Aug 28, 2012
harx said:
HI. just want to share my experiences and ideas.

I am by the way here in Calgary, ALberta.. We migrated here last 2009 and currently have Permanent resident status. I was a fresh graduate and CPA board passer when I came here, so I don't really have the experience of working as CPA in the Philippines. Honestly speaking, having only those credentials (BSA grad, CPA passer) is not really helpful for me to find a job related to accounting, even clerical jobs. But I think it varies to different people. Connections would really be a great help to find those kinds of jobs, i believe, because they would want somebody recommended by someone they already know. Based on my experience in job searching, employers would really prioritize someone with related degrees,certificates, or experience that are earned here in canada. But if you already worked in related field for quite sometime there in the philippines, they could probably consider that. I know it is really hard to start form the very start, especially to those who already enjoyed their work in there. I think, what I can only suggest (if you will find it hard to find similar job that you have in the Philippines) is to get certificate (which can be earned for at least 6months or so, depending on the certification), you can also grab the opportunity of free training that is usually offered by immigration agencies or groups (free or may cost lesser than usual fee).

What Filipinos usually do here is working while studying. Working as cashier, sales clerk, waiter, etc. for your first few months is common in here. It won't be that painful :) you can use what you earn during those times for your personal needs/bills or for your tuition if you are planning to continue studying. I tell you, you can even save some. you just need to be more patient because that is part of adjusting to your new environment. furthermore, those jobs is also considered as canadian experience. But as they say, make sure you will not stay too long in those survival jobs. Having enough connections and experience, I know you will be much closer to the job that you want.

In my case, I am currently registered as a CGA student. If you are BSA grad in the Philippines, they would normally assessed your transcript as having completed the Foundation Level in CGA prgram ( except those that you need to have in canadian context like Business Law). Right now, I'm in Advance level. I'm taking one course(subject) every session(summer,fall,winter,spring). As of now, I'm heading on my examination for my third course here. By the way, I had a loan to finance my studies as what students usually do here since it is,indeed, expensive. I availed the Immigrant access fund loan. Application was easy, but payable after two years, though(in my case). If I will take one course per session which the CGA recommend (but you can request for additional load), I can probably get all courses done for less than 3 years. I am taking online studies since I work at morning and it is more convenient (you dont have to transfer credits if you took course from other post secondary school, no need to request for examination since you are already registered when you take online course, and they send you your books which is included in your tuition). But if you are planning to take CGA, take note that completion of the courses is not enough, 2 years of experience in related field(refer to their web site) is required. It is advisable that while studying, you are also working in completing the required experience. That is what I am struggling right now. My job is not even related to accounting. So now I am thinking of looking for a related job first. I am planning to get a certification for a few months as a full time study. BUt I am still making up my mind on how it will work given that I need to work, even part time, and still take CGA course. I might not enroll in CGA for the next sessions.

But, just so you know, CGA just emailed every student about MEntoring that they offer for those people who are experienced in foreign country. I think this will be very helpful for those who want to complete the requirements for being a CGA faster, given that they have number of years of experience in the field. SOrry, I forgot some of the details.

Hope this helps. Good luck to us :)

Hi Harx!
Thank you for this very informative post. I am also a CPA heading to Calgary, Alberta this October under the FSW Program1. I would like to ask how you availed of this Immigrant access fund loan. What are the requirements? Can you give us the website? Can I avail of this loan since I am yet a permanent resident once I get there (I need 3 years of residency to become a citizen under the FSW program).

Another question, can you elaborate more on the online studies? What school specifically in Alberta is offering this? Which is cheaper-- CGA or your school? Actually, Im confused because when I ask for an assessment with CGA, they gave a list of fees on the subjects, so I assume they too are offering classes like a regular school. Only, with CGA, you need to be physically present attending their classes. With online studies, you can study anytime, at your own pace and at the comforts of your home.

Can I write you a PM? I would like to ask some more specific questions particularly on housing (where is the best site near to school since I don't have a car, where to find an immigrant serving org., where to enroll in free english and french classes, ..) Sorry that I have more questions, that's why I wanted a PM coz out of the topic na siguro. :-[

Thank you in advance. Thank you fellow CPAs, thank you for sharing you ideas. Musta na kaya si Mimi natin. God bless all of us!

harx

Aug 22, 2012
wondermae said:
Hi Harx!
Thank you for this very informative post. I am also a CPA heading to Calgary, Alberta this October under the FSW Program1. I would like to ask how you availed of this Immigrant access fund loan. What are the requirements? Can you give us the website? Can I avail of this loan since I am yet a permanent resident once I get there (I need 3 years of residency to become a citizen under the FSW program).

Another question, can you elaborate more on the online studies? What school specifically in Alberta is offering this? Which is cheaper-- CGA or your school? Actually, Im confused because when I ask for an assessment with CGA, they gave a list of fees on the subjects, so I assume they too are offering classes like a regular school. Only, with CGA, you need to be physically present attending their classes. With online studies, you can study anytime, at your own pace and at the comforts of your home.

Can I write you a PM? I would like to ask some more specific questions particularly on housing (where is the best site near to school since I don't have a car, where to find an immigrant serving org., where to enroll in free english and french classes, ..) Sorry that I have more questions, that's why I wanted a PM coz out of the topic na siguro. :-[

Thank you in advance. Thank you fellow CPAs, thank you for sharing you ideas. Musta na kaya si Mimi natin. God bless all of us!
im new in this forum, so I don't really know why im not allowed to PM. can somebody advise? thanks..

with your question about the loan, here is the website (iafcanada.org). if you decide to avail the loan, you can email Cidalia Campos ccampos@momentum.org and she can book you for an interview. she's with Momentum, an organization offering the loan (momentum.org). A permanent resident can avail that loan. (I intentionally omitted the "www" for the websites since links are not allowed)

about the online studies, I was actually referring about the CGA itself. Yes, they are offering online courses and that is what I am taking. I was also confused at first because I thought they also have their own school, but they don't. They only offer online courses and partnered with several schools. In alberta, the only school I know they are in partnership with is NAIT and SAIT. but since you are going here in calgary, SAIT will be the one (NW calgary). if you prefer classroom-based study, you can enroll at SAIT or with other schools (like University of Calgary, Mount Royal University, Bow Valley College, etc) CGA accepts credit transfer for some of the courses offered by these schools. you can refer to CGA web site and look for the courses allowed to be transferred from different schools. I never tried yet to enroll to any of that school so i cant really say which is cheaper, but you can estimate the costs by referring to their websites.

I don't think I can help you much about housing, but I can say that most of the schools(college/universities) here in calgary are pretty much accessible by public transit (I know SAIT and University of Calgary both have train station at their location). I also found this list of orgs that offers english courses (employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG-etcs-english.pdf)

hope this helps. :)

ms.reannox

Jul 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
PER Jan. 16 2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
RPRF Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
Mar 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
May 26, 2015
hi everyone.. may i just ask if Every applicant is required to have a visa interview? or not?

ritaritzie

Star Member
Feb 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2014
Nomination.....
CC Charged - January 16, 2015
ms.reannox said:
hi everyone.. may i just ask if Every applicant is required to have a visa interview? or not?
My answer is... it depends...Most applicant did not go for interview but in case i got interviewed...If they have something to clarify you will call you for an interview..while if they find your documents and requirements ok they will waive the interview. It will depend also to the assigned Visa Officer to your case....

ms.reannox

Jul 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
PER Jan. 16 2015
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
RPRF Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
Mar 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
May 26, 2015
thanks for replying.. another question, what documents/requirements did you passed? the originals, the photocopied, and the authenticated red ribbon? my LMO is on process and hopefully have it this month. Now, i want to begin to gather my papers.. could you please help me? i really dont know what and how to prepare everything right cause time is running and im currently employed.. =(

i only have originals of

TOR
Hs Diploma
college Diploma
form 137
PRC license
certificate form boa
certificate from Picpa
nbi clearance- visa canada
passport
birth certificate-NSO
job offer
latest resume

alin po b sa taas yung need yung orig,photocopied and authenticated?

*Certificate of employment- for request pa po. di ko kc alam kung ano idadahilan ko. ayoko nmn sbhin for work abroad..hehe.bka paalisin n ko d2 agad.
*Application forms like checklist,imm 1295,5465- for fill up p po habang di p complete ang documents ko..
*photos- madali nlng mgpapicture
*proof of funds--hmm. 30k lng laman ng savings ko.. LOL..kahiya.haha

mr.patrick

Jun 3, 2011
Hi ms reannox.

As for me cga, tor, good standing from picpa, prc cert. prc id. Photox back and front tas yung assessment form... Parang yun lang ata. Yung cert of employment so far sa family ko wala pang hinhingan... Di ata uso yun dito.

mr.patrick

Jun 3, 2011
Hi everyone,

Ask ko lang lamusta naman ang mga CA dito mahirap po ba? Ms. Mimi pakiadvice naman.. Para kasing gusto kong lumipat sa CA from Cga kasi gusto ko talagang magaudit eh ang mga audit firm naman gust mga Ca. Yung mga nasa winnipeg po bka pwedeng paadvice kung pano kaya nakahanap ng work.. Kasi nahihirapan akong makakita ng work.. Lahat puro gusto my 5 years experience. Eh bagong grad lang din po ako satin. Di tulad satin pag nagcpa ka may audit firm na maghihire eh dito wala. Mas maraing trabaho sa pinas eh. Gusto ko na ngang bumalik para lang kumuha ng experince tas balik ako dito papakitaan ko sila ng talentong pilipino. Haha :p

vix

Jun 16, 2010
harx said:
Im taking their online courses offered. I enroll directly to CGA using my account. But i know a fellow CGA student who took cga courses at SAIT.
Hi,

Just want to ask, if you are taking courses online, can I do the same thing even if i'm outside Canada? Will land on Feb 2013 (but not for good) but still undecided on lot of things + a bit worried of what our life would be. will about to submit my CGA/CMA assessment and hoping I can have the courses through online while preparing myself and my family of a Canadian life for good.

Thanks.

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
30-January-2013 (SSS, ITR, COE, Company ID)
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
together with the application
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
Hi Po,

I had my credentials evaluated by CMA-Ontario last August and received the report. Just want to ask, behind po ba talaga ang Accounting profession dito sa Pinas ng 2 years compared to Canada?

Hope somebody can give insight.

Salamat po ng marami..

danzob

Star Member
Nov 17, 2010
gwynemalazarte said:
Hi Po,

I had my credentials evaluated by CMA-Ontario last August and received the report. Just want to ask, behind po ba talaga ang Accounting profession dito sa Pinas ng 2 years compared to Canada?

Hope somebody can give insight.

Salamat po ng marami..
hello, can you share the requirements? I am also intending to have my credentials evaluated. Thanks in advanced.

Dan

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
danzob said:
hello, can you share the requirements? I am also intending to have my credentials evaluated. Thanks in advanced.

Dan
Only the scanned copy of your Transcript and Diploma for Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate Degrees.

TA

danzob

Star Member
Nov 17, 2010
gwynemalazarte said:
Only the scanned copy of your Transcript and Diploma for Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate Degrees.

TA
Thanks TA! Pwede ko bang isend directly sa kanila? or the institution should be the one to send directly?

gwynemalazarte

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
15-July-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
15-August-2013
Med's Request
25-February-2013
Med's Done....
5-June-2014 (Sputum)
Interview........
24-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
08-Oct-2014
danzob said:
Thanks TA! Pwede ko bang isend directly sa kanila? or the institution should be the one to send directly?
you can send it directly to them.