+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing taxes as a work permit holder

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Hi everyone!

A little background on our situation....I'm a Canadian citizen, my husband is American and living in Canada. His permanent residency application is still being processed, but he holds a work permit.

Has anyone filed their own taxes in a similar situation? I know we still need to file his US taxes even though he didn't have any income from there. I also know that for tax purposes a work permit holder is considered a resident. Is it difficult to file the forms yourself? I did my own Canadian taxes last year and it was pretty easy, but I'm hesitant to do it this year because of my husband's. I had a consultation with an accountant who could do all of it for us but it would cost upwards of $500 so if I can do it myself I'd like to.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

A little background on our situation....I'm a Canadian citizen, my husband is American and living in Canada. His permanent residency application is still being processed, but he holds a work permit.

Has anyone filed their own taxes in a similar situation? I know we still need to file his US taxes even though he didn't have any income from there. I also know that for tax purposes a work permit holder is considered a resident. Is it difficult to file the forms yourself? I did my own Canadian taxes last year and it was pretty easy, but I'm hesitant to do it this year because of my husband's. I had a consultation with an accountant who could do all of it for us but it would cost upwards of $500 so if I can do it myself I'd like to.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!
You can certainly file the taxes on your own. How difficult this is to do is a hard question to answer. I guess it's really about how comfortable you are doing this on your own using tax software. Many people do it themselves.

Yes - he must file US taxes. He is required to file US taxes annually declaring his worldwide income regardless of where he is living. He will have to continue to file US taxes annually for life.

Yes - he is considered a resident in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123