Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2014
my common-law partner filed tax return last month. at the time, i had no idea that i also need to file(since i have no income), so he just put me as a dependent instead of filing joint income.

but i just learned that i also need to file (to apply citizenship later). so i was trying to file online, checked CRA website, it looks like first time file can not be done online.?

has anyone filed before with no income? can anyone share information like where to file, and what is going to happen when you file(any disadvantages? or advantages?)

i am in ON, have ITN number.

thanks in advance!

tarina

Star Member
Sep 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2014
Yes I did file my tax return with 0 income, I used H and R block. It was easy peasy.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
psyyyn said:
but i just learned that i also need to file (to apply citizenship later).
Where did you hear this from? I don't see what future citizenship has to do at all with your 2013 taxes. You will just need to file taxes for when you actually become a PR or have a SIN here, which means maybe 2014 would be your first year to file taxes here. Not sure how CRA would even record someone filing taxes with no SIN.

So if you didn't have a SIN in Canada in 2013, then you don't need to file a tax return. Your spouse can indicate you as spousal dependent on their own tax return, and that you had $0 income. CRA may ask for your world income (all income earned outside Canada) to verify this.

If someone can verify if filing taxes in a given year is mandatory to have the time count for citizenship, please confirm!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
If someone can verify if filing taxes in a given year is mandatory to have the time count for citizenship, please confirm!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ten-ways-ottawa-is-changing-how-to-become-a-canadian-citizen/article16724611/

Tax requirements

Prospective citizens will need to file taxes in Canada for four out of six years in order to submit an application for residency. The current rules don't require them to file taxes in Canada. The changes don't appear to affect Canadians working and living abroad.

This is vague... I'm not sure if it is just 4 out of 6 in general or what. I assume they will use NOAs as evidence that you were a resident in Canada for that year...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
keesio said:
This is vague... I'm not sure if it is just 4 out of 6 in general or what. I assume they will use NOAs as evidence that you were a resident in Canada for that year...
Indeed it's very vaguely written, and is not actually law yet. So for people who were in Canada as just a visitor in 2013, I don't think it really matters whatsoever. I wonder how this would work also if someone qualifies for citizenship part way through a year... do they have to wait until they file taxes the next year to apply? Or perhaps they keep checking during the citizenship application processing time?

I still don't see how one can file their own taxes if they don't have a SIN. You can be listed as a dependent on someone else's taxes no problem though.
Perhaps one can wait until they become PR or get a SIN, and then do a re-assessment to file previous tax years at $0?

[
psyyyn said:
i am in ON, have ITN number.
I never noticed this. If you have an ITN number, then just use that instead of SIN, and put $0 in for all income questions. Should be super easy to do, you could even do one of the old fashioned paper tax returns you can pick up from post office.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
If you are a factual resident of Canada you can file a tax return using your ITN. If you are filing inland then you probably could be a factual resident. One of the purposes of the ITN is to allow people, who do not qualify for a SIN, to file tax returns. The advantages of this will depend on your specific situation. For example,

- if applicable, it establishes your eligibility for child tax benefit programs, refundable GST credits, certain other provincial credits etc.
- if you are a student it establishes your tuition tax credit carryovers for years when you have income, or/and allows you to transfer them to your spouse to reduce their taxes.
- I'm pretty sure it starts your tax free savings account room.

I cannot think of any disadvantages to filing. You probably have to file by paper with the International Tax Office. I would just go to H&R Block to see if they can do it.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rob_TO said:
Indeed it's very vaguely written, and is not actually law yet. So for people who were in Canada as just a visitor in 2013, I don't think it really matters whatsoever. I wonder how this would work also if someone qualifies for citizenship part way through a year... do they have to wait until they file taxes the next year to apply? Or perhaps they keep checking during the citizenship application processing time?

I still don't see how one can file their own taxes if they don't have a SIN. You can be listed as a dependent on someone else's taxes no problem though.
Perhaps one can wait until they become PR or get a SIN, and then do a re-assessment to file previous tax years at $0?

[
I never noticed this. If you have an ITN number, then just use that instead of SIN, and put $0 in for all income questions. Should be super easy to do, you could even do one of the old fashioned paper tax returns you can pick up from post office.
As for the changes to the citizenship laws, the laws are done step by step, in implements. First example, the 200 increase to 300 for application has been implemented already. So the income tax requirement will come into effect later, not sure when but it will come. The 3 of of 4 year requirements is the current requirement for citizenship. Not the 4 out of 6. It will come into effect soon though.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you have no income, you would qualify to have your taxes done free of charge at one of the volunteer tax clinics operated by CRA. Go to the CRA website to find a tax clinic in your city.

I have two questions: my spouse does not have a SIN and is a non-resident for tax purposes.
1. Shall I just report his income when I file?
2. Shall I put him as a dependent? I read that you would need receipts for this, etc to prove supporting your spouse. Is this true?

Thanks.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
SenoritaBella said:
If you have no income, you would qualify to have your taxes done free of charge at one of the volunteer tax clinics operated by CRA. Go to the CRA website to find a tax clinic in your city.

I have two questions: my spouse does not have a SIN and is a non-resident for tax purposes.
2. Shall I put him as a dependent? I read that you would need receipts for this, etc to prove supporting your spouse. Is this true?

Thanks.
1. No. He would have to file it when he gets SIN.

2. Yes you can claim him as a dependent. CIC papers saying he qualified for PR papers is proof enough.
I was able to claim my wife as dependent while she waits for PR.

Screech339

psyyyn

Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2014
SenoritaBella said:

Thanks.

Yes. report joint or just list him as a dependent. Last month when my partner was doing tax at money mart, i didn't even have ITN number(which i applied in Jan. and received few days after he filed). They just put zeros on my SIN section, and added a simple letter explaining why i don't have SIN or ITN yet. And all they wanted from me were my AOR email and copy of my ID.

By the way, thank you guys for all the useful information above!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
screech339 said:
1. No. He would have to file it when he gets SIN.

2. Yes you can claim him as a dependent. CIC papers saying he qualified for PR papers is proof enough.
I was able to claim my wife as dependent while she waits for PR.

Screech339
For filing 2012's taxes in 2013, we didn't even have papers showing that I qualified to apply for PR. No AIP or anything. We'd received AOR and my CSQ by the point that we'd filed, but our accountant didn't ask for anything. My husband was able to claim me as a dependent with no trouble, despite my status being only a "visitor" and me not having an SIN. I don't know a lot about it, though, since as I mentioned, we use an accountant. Since I had worked in the U.S. in 2012, before the move, and had filed U.S. taxes, I sent copies of all that to our accountant, too.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
QuebecOkie said:
For filing 2012's taxes in 2013, we didn't even have papers showing that I qualified to apply for PR. No AIP or anything. We'd received AOR and my CSQ by the point that we'd filed, but our accountant didn't ask for anything. My husband was able to claim me as a dependent with no trouble, despite my status being only a "visitor" and me not having an SIN. I don't know a lot about it, though, since as I mentioned, we use an accountant. Since I had worked in the U.S. in 2012, before the move, and had filed U.S. taxes, I sent copies of all that to our accountant, too.
As long as you got official copies from CIC regarding PR sponsorship, you can claim dependent for spouse/common law.

Screech339

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Thanks for the answers guys. I called CRA and the agent said the following:
1. I need to file an individual tax return with marital status, "married" but report my spouse's on line 303.
2. to claim my spouse as a dependent, there are two scenarios:
a) if my spouse was living under the same roof as myself, but was not working, it would mean I am providing a roof over their head and food too. I can claim them as a dependent.
b) if my spouse is overseas and does not work or their income is below a certain amount, and I was supporting them, then that would mean I am sending money. She also said if an overseas spouse doesn't earn much but the amount is reasonable for the standard of living in that country, then I won't be eligible to claim them as a dependent.

She didn't say I need receipts as prove of supporting my spouse, but I read somewhere that I do. Was that confusing enough? lol

So far, it seems all you guys are living with your spouse so scenario 2(a) is more applicable in your case?

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Yes, I was living with my spouse and not working. He provided the roof over my head, food, all necessities.