+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing Tax - 183 days rule

stizmir

Sep 4, 2015
Dear all,

I am a Turkish citizen and have a 10 year multiple entrance tourist visa. I have entered Canada on 25.August.2015.
I have made an extension application via mail on 2nd of February 2016 to Vegreville before my 6 month duration of stay expired.
I am still waiting respond from CIC regarding my application therefore I am in implied status.

I am working on a freelancer contract to a company located in UK and recieving my payments to my Turkish bank account.
A couple of months ago I got in touch with Canada Revenue Agency. They have informed me that; as I am working for a foreign company and not getting paid by a Canadian company I do not need to file taxes in Canada as a non-resident up to 6 months.
But if I will be staying more than 6 months I need to file tax.

I am very unfamiliar with Canadian tax laws and forms. What kind of a tax should I be filing? Is there a way to do this online?
I am soon planning to leave Canada and return back to my country (Turkey - where my residency is) -even though I don't hear back from CIC as it took long time for them to respond than I wanted to stay anyway- am I still obliged to file tax?

I will be very glad if someone can help me with this issue. Thanks a lot for your responds.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are outside Canada, you can still be in touch with Canada Revenue Agency. Call them and discuss your options.