+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

filing income tax for a Non-Canadian

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi! We got a letter from Child Tax Benefits recently requesting my Japanese wife file income tax for 2017. She does not have any legal status in Canada yet. We are applying under Family Class sponsorship. How do I go about this? Twenty years ago, she came to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa and was granted a SIN. Somehow, CRA had a record of her SIN and released some benefits to her but suddenly stopped because of this problem.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi! We got a letter from Child Tax Benefits recently requesting my Japanese wife file income tax for 2017. She does not have any legal status in Canada yet. We are applying under Family Class sponsorship. How do I go about this? Twenty years ago, she came to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa and was granted a SIN. Somehow, CRA had a record of her SIN and released some benefits to her but suddenly stopped because of this problem.
Let me understand you correctly. Some 20 years ago your wife accepted some money from Canadian government, which she was not supposed to get, right? Now you are sponsoring her with Family Class and Immigration linked her name with an her old SIN.
It seems to me - Houston, we have a problem...

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Let me understand you correctly. Some 20 years ago your wife accepted some money from Canadian government, which she was not supposed to get, right? Now you are sponsoring her with Family Class and Immigration linked her name with an her old SIN.
It seems to me - Houston, we have a problem...
No! My wife was on a Working Holiday Program which allows holders to work in Canada legally and she was given a SIN. 20 years we moved back to Canada with our family. My wife is on visitor visa and we are applying for her PR under the Family Class Sponsorship. She went to Service Canada to see if she could get her old SIN but was told that her old SIN was a temporary one and would not work now. As a result, my wife wasn't given her old SIN back. CRA obviously has a SIN for her because I saw the last 4 digits on their letterhead.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
No! My wife was on a Working Holiday Program which allows holders to work in Canada legally and she was given a SIN. 20 years we moved back to Canada with our family. My wife is on visitor visa and we are applying for her PR under the Family Class Sponsorship. She went to Service Canada to see if she could get her old SIN but was told that her old SIN was a temporary one and would not work now. As a result, my wife wasn't given her old SIN back. CRA obviously has a SIN for her because I saw the last 4 digits on their letterhead.
That strange. How does she get credits for the previous work when she becomes PR? In my case the SIN was just frozen since I left Canada in 1998, but when I called they found my SIN in their database and mailed me all my working history and told that this SIN will be re-activated when I return.