+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing I/T 2012 tax year

dmj54

Jan 29, 2013
I got P/R in 2007 with my family but I didn't stayed longer than 2 months in a year and worked outside Canada because of non availability of jobs in Canada.My family stayed and became citizen.I regularly filed I/T together every year declaring foreign self employed income my spousal income being nil.Since 2011 till I couldn't visit Canada at all and in 2012 my PR card expired and I voluntarily relinquished PR status in December 2012 and sent the necessary forms duly signed to CIC and waiting for the written decision from them . I don't have any driving license but only expired health card which I sent back with PR card and SIN .My wife has a house in her name but we have a joint bank account. Do i need to file I/T for the tax year 2012 ? or only my wife has to file alone since I am no more a PR and I haven't stayed in Canada for whole year. Please help me in this regard , Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are cases that the husband declared non residents of Canada for tax purposes while his wife lives in Canada. Once you became non resident for tax purposes, you don't need to file tax returns to report your non Canadian income. For more info, contact the International Tax Office of CRA.