+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

fiance listed as dependent child, what will happen to her application process

dumdum

Jun 28, 2009
Hi. I live in Pakistan have an MBA degree and currently am working as HR Officer with well reputed company. I am supposed to get married in December this year. My to-be wife have already applied for Canadian immigration. Her father applied like 6 years ago and now they have got the call and embassy have asked them to submit IELTS score and then they will give them dated for medical etc. Embassy also asked them about any change in marital status of kids.

My question is then when they applied for immigration she was listed as dependent child. Will it better to get married at this stage and inform embassy accordingly, or wait till they get the visa and they make an entry in canada and then she sponsor me as spouse. I have heard that sponsor takes more time and its batter to get married during process. Will it effect her application status in any way + how much time will it require for me to get visa if we get married now.

Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Postpone the marriage. If she gets married, she is no longer a dependent child and will not get a visa to go with the family. It is better to let her go with the family and get her PR, then she can marry you and sponsor you later.

dumdum

Jun 28, 2009
also how much time it will take afterwars.......will my sponsorship be treated as a fresh application and will take a typical time of 4-6 years?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As soon as you get married. However, be advised that if you get married as soon as she gets her PR and file for sponsorship right away, immigration will know that she was already in a serious relationship and did not tell them so you may have to prove that you did not qualify as a common law couple before she became PR. That means that you had not lived together for 12 months or more. To sponsor a spouse, you also need proof that the relationship is real so you can start thinking about what kind of proof that you will give of your relationship as well as proof of not living together.

Sponsoring a spouse will take first 39 days to approve the sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and after that Islamabad average 7 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#asia

dumdum

Jun 28, 2009
thanks again for the quick reply....one more thing. can she sponsor me while being in Pakistan or does she has to give atleast one entry in canada and then apply from there. Also does she need to give any proof of financial support or job or can i give my own. + PR stands for visa right?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR stands for permanent resident. She does not become a PR until she goes to Canada with her PR visa and "lands". As a PR, she can not be living in another country when she sponsors somebody so she needs to be in Canada. She should go to Canada, "land" with her family, then go back at some point and marry you unless you can get a visit visa to go to Canada to marry her there. Then she should be in Canada while she sponsors you. She does not have to meet financial requirements to sponsor a spouse and neither do you.