+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few Questions Regarding Renewal of My PR card

Lashari72

Jul 14, 2011
Hi there,

I have few questions regarding the renewal of my PR card which is expiring on March 18, 2012:
Here are the fact related to my stay in Canada:

1- I become permanent resident of Canada on March 06, 2007.
2- I stayed in Canada from March 06, 2007 to April 25 , 2007. (51 days) & I went back on April 26, 2007 to my home country because I was having a job and couldn't quit at
that time.
3- I came back to Canada on April 19, 2010 - So I stayed 1088 days outside Canada. Upon my arrival at Toronto Airport, The immigration official told me that I am OK to enter but
can not travel outside Canada during the remaining period of my residency and he has written on my passport " Absent since April 27, 2007". Per his instructions I have not
travelled outside Canada since April 19, 2010 to date.
4- So in aggregate I have stayed in Canada for 736 days (51 days in 2007 + 685 days from April 19, 2010 to March 05, 2012-the current date).
5- Per my knowledge in order to keep permanent resident status alive, one has to complete a minimum of 2 years (730 days) out of five years starting from the date he/she
become permanent resident. So I guess I should be Ok in the given situation.

Here are my questions based on the above facts:

1- Will there be any problem in the renewal of my PR card?
2- Do I have to submit/ mail my Original PR card with my PR card renewal application?
3- Can i submit my application via courier or regular mail is the only option?
4- Usually How long it takes to get renewed PR card?

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers

jeymi

Star Member
May 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
15-11-2011
Interview........
03-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2012
LANDED..........
14-12-2012
We almost have similar situation. I stayed in Canada for 733 days. My PR card was expired on Feb 14, 2012. I submitted my PR renewal on Feb 27, 2012. I have included my PR card in the application since it was expired already.

I believe you meet the min. residency requirements. Start ordering the Supplementary Identification form. Here is the link for application and guide.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) The closer you are to just meeting the requirements, the more likely it is that they will ask for a residency questionnaire but you just have to hope for the best that it doesn't happen because it can delay your renewal application.

2) You have to submit your PR card if it is expired when you apply.

3) It does say "mail the application" here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#step5 and again here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#5445E7 If you are worried that it might get lost in the mail, you could sent it by registered mail so that someone has to sign for it.

Lashari72

Jul 14, 2011
Thanks very much guys.

1- I'll be applying for the PR card Renewal on March 06, 2012 but on my PR card the expiry date is March 18, 2012. I guess I shall not send my PR cad with my application as it is
valid for 12 more days.Please confirm.

2- Pardon my ignorance, why doe we need to order supplementary identification form? What does ordering mean here & will supplementary ID be sent ASAP by the PR card
renewal office? Please explain. Second thing associated with this is that why do we need this form? Is it required to cover the identity requirements until I get my renewed
PR card. Please confirm.
3- Is there any fee for Supplementary identification form? If yes, how much?

4- How I can I pay my PR card Fee and Supplementary Card fee, in any?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to look at your application package at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp All the answers you need are right there.

1. If you read your instruction guide there, it has your answer to your Nr. 1 question. It says:

If you are applying to renew your present card and:

* your card has expired, you should return it with the completed application for a new card or
* your card is still valid, you may hold on to it and return it to a CIC officer when you pick-up your new card at a local CIC office.

So since your card it still valid, you hold on to it.

2. The instruction guide also tells you to look at the checklist at the end of http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5444E.pdf and when you do, you see that you do need the supplementary identification form. I do not know where you got the idea that you must order it. You can see it as a part of your application package at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

3. Download it off the website. No fee.

4. At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp it also tells you how you pay your fees. If you want to pay online, click that link. You can pay with a credit card. If you prefer to pay at a bank, click the link fee receipt. You will order one. They will mail it to you. It is free but as they say there, it may take a couple of weeks.

Lashari72

Jul 14, 2011
Awesome!

Thanks Leon. Appreciate your help. Words are lacking to express my gratitude.

Thanks again.!!!!

jeymi

Star Member
May 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
15-11-2011
Interview........
03-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
11-12-2012
LANDED..........
14-12-2012
Wow, they revised already their document checklist. When I checked it last Jan, it says there that "Do not forget to order Supplementary Identification form, online or by telephone". When I checked it now, it says "Do not forget to download the Supplementary Identification form".

Great improvement! :)

Lar

Sep 12, 2017
Just want to find out if residency obligation will be calculated from the time of landing or from the date of application if one is more than 5years of landing. For instance, if one landed in January 2008 and one is applying in Feb 2017. How does this affect the counting?
Has anybody being in this situation and get his or her PR renewed without any challenges?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Just want to find out if residency obligation will be calculated from the time of landing or from the date of application if one is more than 5years of landing. For instance, if one landed in January 2008 and one is applying in Feb 2017. How does this affect the counting?
Has anybody being in this situation and get his or her PR renewed without any challenges?
The RO is always calculated from the last 5 years (if landing was within 5 years, then it's calculated by the years back to landing, adding on the theoretical possibility of however far in the future is needed to make five years in total). So if you're renewing in Feb 2017, you must have spent at least two years in Canada since Feb 2012.

Lar

Sep 12, 2017
The RO is always calculated from the last 5 years (if landing was within 5 years, then it's calculated by the years back to landing, adding on the theoretical possibility of however far in the future is needed to make five years in total). So if you're renewing in Feb 2017, you must have spent at least two years in Canada since Feb 2012.
Thanks for the information.