+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few questions on RTD and working in USA

RTex

Nov 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am in predicament about my near future plans. I got my PR in this October and waiting for my PR card. During my landing interview I got my home passport back and I am quite happy ab it. I have plans to visit USA and maybe I have a possibility of working there. Regarding these I have few questions.

1- I plan to apply for RTD for the first time. In the application, they require my home passport. Will they seize my home passport again? If so can I get it back? Older posts in the forums suggest this but it is much appreciated If any recent applicant similar to my case enlighten me. My home passport is not expired yet.

2- Recently I got an opportunity for a job in USA which puts everything off in my short term plans. Do you think my refugee status in Canada will become a problem in seeking employment in USA. For interviews and other stuff do you think I need to show my home passport? Does anyone have this kind of experience?

Any help of suggestion is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Cheers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1- Normally not although I'll let others answer. I'm sure you areaway that you shouldn't use your home passport or you could loose you PR and protected status.

2- Yes it definitely could. Case by case basis. You'll need to apply to get an RTD and then apply for a US visa.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
you shouldn't use your home passport or you could loose you PR and protected status.
ABSOLUTELY incorrect information!
Using one's home country passport DOES NOT jeopardize PR / protected status.
On the other hand, using RTD / home country passport TO TRAVEL TO HOME COUNTRY may jeopardize PR / protected status.
It's not about what document to use, it's about NOT traveling back to the home country.

Reactions: jack_2001

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ABSOLUTELY incorrect information!
Using one's home country passport DOES NOT jeopardize PR / protected status.
On the other hand, using RTD / home country passport TO TRAVEL TO HOME COUNTRY may jeopardize PR / protected status.
It's not about what document to use, it's about NOT traveling back to the home country.
I'm sorry but you are the one who is wrong. I have attached information about sponsored refugees but it applies to all protected people in Canada. You can not use your home passport. That is why there is a RTD.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Reactions: Buletruck

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I'm sorry but you are the one who is wrong. I have attached information about sponsored refugees but it applies to all protected people in Canada. You can not use your home passport. That is why there is a RTD.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
The link you provided is for Express Entry.
And assuming you were right, why would CIC return the seized passports to protected refugees if they were not allowed to use them to travel? It wouldn't make any sense!

lknd3

Jan 11, 2018

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Let's just add a specific quote from http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information

What is new:
Due to a recent change in the law, you can lose both your refugee status and your Permanent Residence if the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) decides that you accepted the protection of your home country (known as “re-availment”) and therefore that your refugee status should be removed (known as “cessation” of refugee status).

• The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is actively looking for cases in which they can argue that refugees have accepted the protection of their home country.
Actions that may put you at risk
CBSA may argue that you have accepted the protection of your home country if you:

• Travel to your home country (even for a short visit).
  • Travel using the passport of your home country.
  • Apply for a new passport from your home country.
CBSA may make these arguments against you even if you have lived in Canada for many years.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
And assuming you were right, why would CIC return the seized passports to protected refugees if they were not allowed to use them to travel? It wouldn't make any sense!
It’s not IRCC’s responsibility to ensure you abide by the UNHCR guidelines. That’s your responsibility. It’s your right to do as you please (within the law), otherwise it wouldn’t be a free society if the government told you where or when you can travel. Once you leave Canada, they have no control over your actions.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The link you provided is for Express Entry.
CBSA would have only two options, as they don't "own" the passport.
1. Return it to the holder.
2. Return it to the issuing authority in your home country.
For some refugees, 2) might be a serious problem.