+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few questions on Post Landing (from US by Road)

martian

May 22, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2009
Doc's Request.
11-07-2009
AOR Received.
05-05-2009
File Transfer...
13-05-2009
Med's Request
04-14-2010
Hi All
I landed couple of months back by road entry from US and am back in US to wrap up and move.
Canadian Officers told me, its ok not fill the Goods to Follow Form as long as I just get household items (No furniture/big items except Car).
I hope I wont have any problem when I re-enter Canada for the real move from US.
Any precautions/tips for me?

I had purchased a car from a friend just before landing as PR, but the Title of car/registration etc was done after Landing.
Does that mean I will have to pay Duties on this car?

What is the best way to move household stuff? I intend to drive my personal car.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards
Martian

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
martian said:
Hi All
I landed couple of months back by road entry from US and am back in US to wrap up and move.
Canadian Officers told me, its ok not fill the Goods to Follow Form as long as I just get household items (No furniture/big items except Car).
I hope I wont have any problem when I re-enter Canada for the real move from US.
Any precautions/tips for me?

I had purchased a car from a friend just before landing as PR, but the Title of car/registration etc was done after Landing.
Does that mean I will have to pay Duties on this car?

What is the best way to move household stuff? I intend to drive my personal car.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards
Martian
1. Anything & everything is taxable if not listed in the GTF. Even the common household stuff. I know of a case where they had to pay for kitchen utilities [plates, pans etc.].

2. If the ownership papers suggest that it was 'bought' after landing - u'd pay the duties for it.

3. U-Haul & the like r good. U need to book it 'one-way' only.

Qorax

martian

May 22, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2009
Doc's Request.
11-07-2009
AOR Received.
05-05-2009
File Transfer...
13-05-2009
Med's Request
04-14-2010
qorax said:
1. Anything & everything is taxable if not listed in the GTF. Even the common household stuff. I know of a case where they had to pay for kitchen utilities [plates, pans etc.].

2. If the ownership papers suggest that it was 'bought' after landing - u'd pay the duties for it.

3. U-Haul & the like r good. U need to book it 'one-way' only.

Qorax
Thanks Qorax.
I specifically asked the officers during landing and they said not to worry for household items unless they are big items such as furniture/car etc. But I think exceptions do happen and I've to be prepared for paying. Yes I think U-haul is the best option for me.

BR
Martian

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
martian said:
Thanks Qorax.
I specifically asked the officers during landing and they said not to worry for household items unless they are big items such as furniture/car etc. But I think exceptions do happen and I've to be prepared for paying. Yes I think U-haul is the best option for me.

BR
Martian

I had my stuff from the US shipped by ABF U-Pack while we drove our car from VA to Calgary. At that time (october 2010) they charged me about $1500 for a relocube including storage for 30 days. You can visit their website www.upack.com.

Mar 15, 2010
Hi Martian,

I am in same situation as you are (or maybe were). I did my landing last year by road from US and plan to move in this fall. My GTF has just one item as my plan was not to carry anything from US and start a fresh in Canada but now I was wondering if I can take some household stuff with me when I go on this Labor day weekend for few days.

If you have moved for good, did you take some house hold stuff with you in car? If not, do you have any additional info/suggestions to share that you might have come to know since the last post on this topic?

I am not sure if I should declare all the stuff to officer though it is all used stuff and also, how much duty I might have to pay if asked for. How will they calculate all that on used stuff without any bills?

Thanks in advance.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
I'm not sure about everything but a car being OK to bring over eventually without a B4 but I know I did have a few things -mainly the kids carseats, GPS and DVD player IN the car I hadn't thought to put on my original list and when I landed said so and they said not to worry about them when I did eventually move (they knew it was going to be a period of time, as I needed or wanted, to sell my home yet).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaAspirant said:

I am not sure if I should declare all the stuff to officer though it is all used stuff and also, how much duty I might have to pay if asked for. How will they calculate all that on used stuff without any bills?
They see enough "stuff" to have a good idea of the value.
Also, if you don't have proof of the value, they decide it and you have no argument.