+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fees for PR LMIA: question

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
Wonder if you guys have heard of this. I called ESDC today to ask a question about filling out the application form for PR-only LMIA and got a very weird answer.

The situation: my friend is currently working a job, has been for a few years on PGWP. She wants to apply for PR through EE (PNP app already submitted). Work permit will expire in around 6 months. Employer is willing to sponsor, they are doing the recruiting to see if someone can fill (her) position. Getting LMIA or PNP would let her apply next draw, hopefully get bridging work permit while it is in process or else just take a few months off. Employer is happy to spend a little bit for the recruiting costs, but they are doing PR-only LMIA (no $1000 fee).

So, I called ESDC to ask something on the form. The lady at the call centre tells me, if the person is already working in the position when you apply for LMIA, you must pay the fee. I said it's for PR only, don't want a work permit, she already has work permit. The ESDC lady insists that it should be $1000 fee and check "work permit & support PR".

I did a quick search in the forum, and it seems others who applied for PR only didn't have to pay. Even if they are in the exact same situation (already working, PR only). Is the call center agent mistaken, or did I misunderstand the process?

Dynonobel

Star Member
May 9, 2015
Nanaimo, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know the answer to that specific question but might I suggest calling again tomorrow and asking the same question to a different representative to see if you get the same answer?

There may have been a misunderstanding.

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
I called again today and got a different agent. The person today told me that there should be no fee for PR-support only LMIA application, regardless of whether the person is already working for the company or not.

So now I have two answers, I hope the latter is correct ???

Reactions: C_vitamin

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
I called again today and got a different agent. The person today told me that there should be no fee for PR-support only LMIA application, regardless of whether the person is already working for the company or not.

So now I have two answers, I hope the latter is correct ???
Hi,

If the LMIA is only to support PR then no need to pay for 1000$, but if you apply for close work permit for the same company then you have to pay the fee. IRCC officers are crazy. They are misleading people.