+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feeling nervous. Immigrating through In-land family sponsership

Rickdude88

Jan 9, 2017
Hi everyone.
As the subject describes I'm immigrating here to Canada, and I'm feeling nervous. Me and my husband are a same sex couple. We've been married for over a year now. Now my marriage is not what I'm nervous about, it's the whole immigration process that has me nervous. Now I'm from the states, never really traveled outside my home state, let alone to another country. So this whole immigration thing is a completely new and nerve wrecking experience.
My husband wanted me to move to Canada where we will eventually have a family, and actually start our lives together.
Now we choose to do an In-land family sponsorship so we could be together.
We gathered all our documents and sent it out in April 2016. Now I completely understand that there is going to be a considerable waiting period. But what has me worried is, is there more to it during the wait?

Let me clarify. We choose to do this on our own without the aide of an immigration lawyer. Which I have mixed feelings about. Now my husband did most of the research and has assured me every thing is in order. As I said before we are doing an In-land sponsorship. So I'm living here in Canada while we wait. Now I do know that immigration aside I can remain here as a visitor for 6 months with just my passport, however according to my husband they can't deport me while the papers are being processed until a decision has been made. Now Its been well over 6months and papers are still being processed. Which from what i understand it can take up 15 to 26 months for processing. So my question is, am I still OK after the 6months and my husband is right, or is me being nervous warranted and there's more to it than just simply sitting around waiting?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend you post your question to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. No lawyer is needed. The vast majority of us here have done it ourselves.

Did you include an open work permit with the application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rickdude88 said:
Thanks. And no I haven't.
OK - then you have a bit of a problem.

In order to legally remain in Canada without applying to extend your visit, you needed to include an OWP (open work permit) application with the PR sponsorship application. If you entered in April and haven't left since then, you are now past the six month visit that would have been allowed and are in Canada without status. Depending on when you entered Canada in April (specific date), it may still be possible for you to restore your status from within Canada.

Again, I would move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. It's much more active than this section.