+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Goverment plan to limit acceptance of Skilled workers to 38 occupations

Defiant

Oct 1, 2008
Lithuania
So let me get this straight:

I've applied Sep08, got my file number with a comment that untill instructions are issued by the minister
they cannot tell me anything concerning my application status.

So if my profession is not on the list-38, does this mean, that if my application is not processed within a year it will be returned? What are the chances of my application being processed despite my profession not being on the list?

And anyway what exactly does it mean "processed"?

Thanks to anybody in advance for comments

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Processed means that they will work on it and give you a yes or no answer.
If your application is not processed within a year, they will send it back as well as your fees refunded.

Nobody knows exactly what will happen until the list comes out and they clarify new rules for processing and start working by them. It is possible that all applications from people not on the list will be returned.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Defiant said:

I've applied Sep08, got my file number with a comment that untill instructions are issued by the minister

So if my profession is not on the list-38, does this mean, that if my application is not processed within a year it will be returned? What are the chances of my application being processed despite my profession not being on the list?

Better apply to the PNP Programs,I just had Dinner with a director in Service Canada,They are moving in the direction on phasing out the FSW in favor of the different PNP,Provinces are asking for greater control over their own immigration.This is in the direction of Decentralizing Federal powers the Harper Conservatives are moving in and since they are widely expected to be the next goverment.......

C

cchabert

For this reason I send my H1B Form yesterday to apply for the Alberta PNP Program, if my profession is not on the list at least I start a second front, I've applied June16, 2008 and no AOR or letter or nothing so far.

Defiant

Oct 1, 2008
Lithuania
BCguy said:
Defiant said:

Better apply to the PNP Programs,I just had Dinner with a director in Service Canada,They are moving in the direction on phasing out the FSW in favor of the different PNP,Provinces are asking for greater control over their own immigration.This is in the direction of Decentralizing Federal powers the Harper Conservatives are moving in and since they are widely expected to be the next goverment.......
Thanks for the advice BCguy.
As far as I know one has to have arranged employment in the particular province when applying via PNP. Is that correct or are there any ways to get accepted via PNP without arranged employment, as getting a job offer from outside Canada is not very likely.

Crescent

Oct 1, 2008
Dear BCguys, I have Marketing Research related experience (4163), pls confirm about the availability of the mentioned profession on the BC list.
For PNP to BC, do i need job offer from BC, is there anyother way that i get nomination from province without job offer like in FSW.

Thanks

Defiant

Oct 1, 2008
Lithuania
Could you name the provinces without the job offer requirement, as I've looked through the selection criteria of all provinces participating in the PNP and couldn't find one which wouldn't require the applicant to have a full-time job offer.

so_simple

Sep 27, 2008
BCguy said:
Some provinces do not require job offers
I'm pretty sure none of these includes applicants without job offer or previous work in the province:

* Alberta PNP (AINP)
* British Columbia PNP
* Manitoba PNP
* New Brunswick PNP
* Newfoundland and Labrador PNP
* Nova Scotia PNP
* Ontario PNP
* Prince Edward Island PNP
* Saskatchewan PNP (SINP)
* Yukon PNP (YNP)

I'd be delighted to be wrong. Apparently Quebec is becoming the only REAL way to get PRV for almost every skilled worker being quite equal to federal program, though with French "flavour".

Leon said:
If your application is not processed within a year, they will send it back as well as your fees refunded.
In July 2008 I received an acknowledgement letter with file number. Later on I was informed about future changes and uncertainty whether it will apply to my case. ECAS on CIC website shows "In Process". Does it mean I shouldn't care a toss about list-38?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
so_simple said:
BCguy said:
Some provinces do not require job offers
I'm pretty sure none of these includes applicants without job offer or previous work in the province:

* Alberta PNP (AINP)
* British Columbia PNP
* Manitoba PNP
* New Brunswick PNP
* Newfoundland and Labrador PNP
* Nova Scotia PNP
* Ontario PNP
* Prince Edward Island PNP
* Saskatchewan PNP (SINP)
* Yukon PNP (YNP)

I'd be delighted to be wrong. Apparently Quebec is becoming the only REAL way to get PRV for almost every skilled worker being quite equal to federal program, though with French "flavour".

Leon said:
In July 2008 I received an acknowledgement letter with file number. Later on I was informed about future changes and uncertainty whether it will apply to my case. ECAS on CIC website shows "In Process". Does it mean I shouldn't care a toss about list-38?
Sure Alberta Family Stream If you have family in Alberta,H-1 Visas in Alberta Strategic Stream,Saskatchewan Family stream If you have kin in Saskatchewan,Quebec Nation of course,let me get back to you on others

so_simple

Sep 27, 2008
BCguy said:
Sure Alberta Family Stream If you have family in Alberta,H-1 Visas in Alberta Strategic Stream,Saskatchewan Family stream If you have kin in Saskatchewan,Quebec Nation of course,let me get back to you on others
It's not worth a penny! In my view it's even more difficult to "acquire" all of a sudden kin in Canada than to get work permit. Get real, we are talking about the majority of experienced skilled workers all over the world who has nothing in common with Canada except willingness and desire to immigrate there (neither relatives, nor job offer/visas). Thus, I repeat, Quebec remains the last resort for those who have only decent education, experience, language and funds to be proud of.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That was one of the problems with the skilled worker program though. It was implying to people that they can get a job in Canada based on their education and experience without taking into account that there might not be a shortage in their profession, that they might have licensing issues etc. etc. So it's a bit harder having to get a job before you go but what were you going to do in Canada anyway if you can't get a job? Is it really that much worse that you might have to take an extra trip to Canada to look for jobs and interview before you can immigrate than to wait 2-7 years to be processed and then go with no guarantees of anything?

mandthepand

Sep 30, 2008
Going in the PNP way may seem better but in order to get a job the employer has to have completed at LMO. Can anyone please clarify (re Alberta) what the process is. It's a nightmare trying to find out any information. My husband is a Gas Fitter and they are crying out for them there. Supposing his occupation is not on the "list" he will then need to go the PNP route. Will he then be classed as a temporary worker until the Permanent Resident Visa is approved. This makes it very insecure especially as we have two children who are in school - does he give up his job here and work over there hoping to get the visa. How long does he have to work for an employer before he becomes nominated. Can you get the visa pushed through quicker by just having a job offer? Do you have to go through the PNP way if you have a job offer? Am totally confused and don't want to mess up my kids lives if it doesn't work out. Would NOT want to have return to the UK (messed up place) after a year for my kids' sake....... Please advise anyone?

so_simple

Sep 27, 2008
Leon said:
So it's a bit harder having to get a job before you go but what were you going to do in Canada anyway if you can't get a job?
Correct... in a way. FSW appreciated people's previous merits and assumed that both Canada and immigrant would benefit if the latter was given a chance to start from scratch in one of the wealthiest countries. That's a bargain Skills vs Opportunities! Let's face it, if you are not able to get a job you're pro in, feel free to either qualify or get another education. That's why, I believe, English Skills and Funds were among crucial features in point system.

For instance, I realize that it will be quite hard for me to qualify as a Radiologist physician. Nonetheless, if I get in Canada I can opt for Medical Radiology Technician. I'm sure you wouldn't be upset if the guy who made you X-ray would have 6yrs of Medical University (though foreign one) + 3yrs of Radiology in Canadian College.

So, your point is not applicable to everyone.

By the way, Leon, I repeat my question to you :

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
so_simple said:
BCguy said:
It's not worth a penny! In my view it's even more difficult to "acquire" all of a sudden kin in Canada than to get work permit. Get real, we are talking about the majority of experienced skilled workers all over the world who has nothing in common with Canada except willingness and desire to immigrate there (neither relatives, nor job offer/visas). Thus, I repeat, Quebec remains the last resort for those who have only decent education, experience, language and funds to be proud of.
I totally agree with you,But you will be surprised the possibilities this has opened up,I am currently working with the following who have taken advantage of these gaps 4 Call Center workers in LA who are going under the H-1B to Alberta,A Chinese Temporary worker moving to Alberta so that he can bring in family under the Family stream.Just because Quebec worked for you,It doesnt mean it will work for everybody else,Dont Forget Quebec s Economy is in WORSE SHAPE then the majority of Canada,Unless you want to Immigrate to Quebec then relocate to B.C,Alberta or Saskatchewan,Tens of thousands of Quebecois have moved west,GET REAL THERE ARE LESS JOBS IN THE QUEBEC NATION,the jobs are in the west not the east.