+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Court strikes down key provisions of Citizenship Act

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What is required to legitimately revoke citizenship?
versus
What should be required to revoke citizenship?

To be clear, these are very different questions. One is a more practical inquiry into what the law, including constitutional law, requires; that would be an analytical inquiry. That inquiry should not be confused with an esoteric, largely academic exercise posturing opinions about what the law should be, which would be more or less an idealistic inquiry.

Unfortunately, language tends to tangle things. One commentator might pose a view about how a particular statute should be interpreted, doing so from the perspective of applying well-established principles of statutory interpretation, while another commentator's view may based on his or her idealistic world view about how things should be.

They would not be talking about the same thing.

I am not sure which approach is being applauded here, above, though it appears the latter, the idealistic rather than analytical one.

After all, for decades and in the course of several dozen extensively-litigated citizenship revocation cases, before the Ministerial procedure introduced by Bill C-24, it is clear that Canadian law has not required, for purposes of revoking citizenship, the same level of "due process and rigourous safeguards" employed in criminal prosecutions, not even close.

There is no presumption of innocence. There is no privilege against self-incrimination. No right to confront witnesses. The burden of proof was a mere balance of probabilities, a rather low bar considering under this standard it only requires a modicum of evidence to effectively shift the burden of proof onto the citizen, the accused. The evidence does NOT need to be clear and convincing, let alone rise to the level of being proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Senate's proposed amendment will mostly reinstate the process prior to the changes made under Bill C-24.

Which, by the way, brings up this:
But now for a practical question: what is the effect of this decision on Bill C-6--the sticking point of which seemed to be just this question of what due process requires in citizenship revocation cases?
A reasonable response demands qualifying the scope of the question, since the only credible response must be, at most, about what is the likely effect. And even that, given rather cryptic signals from the Liberals, so far, is conjecture.

Seems likely, however, that this decision will add considerable weight toward persuading the Liberal government to accept and adopt at least the Senate amendment to revise procedures employed in the revocation of citizenship. Neither of the other two amendments seem to warrant derailing or even delaying the adoption of Bill C-6, so this decision may make enough of a difference to tip the scales.

That is, this decision may help push the Liberals to adopt Bill C-6 with the Senate amendments included. To get this done.

However, a Federal Court ruling of this sort tends to demand, in effect, an appeal so that such an important issue can be at least clarified by a superior Court, a Court whose rulings have the authority of legal precedence . . . which the Federal Court rulings do not. And apparently there are some technical reasons (which I do not quite understand other than to understand they exist, which as best I can grasp are related to the scope of what should be included in legislation) why the Senate's amendment should not be included in the final version of the Bill.

My guess is that we will see how this goes within a few weeks at the most.

Sidebar note: my impression has been that the Liberals have been avoiding judicial and political showdowns regarding some of the more salient and sticky issues, like revocation of citizenship for misrepresentation, like cessation of protected person status blocking some PRs from becoming citizens, and like no hint from the Liberals of any intent to restore a right to appeal by those denied citizenship.

Obviously, if the amendment regarding procedure for revocation is adopted, that renders this decision, which rules that the current procedure is inoperative, irrelevant. Since the Federal Court's ruling does not establish a binding legal precedent (generally -- of course it is binding between the specific parties involved), perhaps there will be no appeal. That will allow subsequent parties to argue that the Bill of Rights Section 2(e) applies to decisions affecting citizenship (once acquired), and cite this decision as authority for that, but again this will not be binding precedent.

Some observations about "due process:"

There is NO general constitutional right to "due process" in Canada. Certain rights in criminal cases are due process in nature, but those explicitly apply to criminal proceedings and not generally (moreover, they are specifically enumerated, and there is no general "due process" requirement as such).

In addition to the right to life, liberty and security of the person, as prescribed by the Charter (and a person may not be deprived of these "except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice"), the Canadian Bill of Rights adds "enjoyment of property," as that regarding which individuals have "the right not to be deprived thereof except by due process of law." (Referring to Section 7 in the Charter and Section 1(a) in the Canadian Bill of Rights, respectively) This "due process" requirement is statutory, not constitutional.

"Due process" is referenced in hundreds of Canadian judicial decisions, and I cannot say I have examined anywhere near a majority of those, but from what I have perused it is clear that what is meant by "due process" in Canadian law is NOT the same as what constitutes either procedural due process OR substantive due process, as those terms are used and applied in American jurisprudence, looming large throughout American law. (The American Constitution prescribes a "due process" requirement in multiple provisions, albeit it is the scope derived from its use in the 14th Amendment, in conjunction with "equal protection," which has had such a profoundly wide and in many respects chaotic impact.)

I am no expert in Canadian jurisprudence on this point, but my impression is that Canadian courts have generally distanced what constitutes procedural fairness from the American concept of "due process," and especially so that branch of American jurisprudence dealing with substantive due process, which Canadian courts tend to avoid like the plague. (For example, at least one Federal Court of Appeal has explicitly ruled that "substantive due process" is outside the ambit of Section 2(e) in the Bill of Rights.)

In contrast to the several hundred court decisions referencing "due process" (albeit a significant number of these are references to American due process or what constitutes due process in other jurisdictions), there are many thousands of official decisions referencing "procedural fairness." And it is the latter which dominates judicial review of the process, the procedure, pursuant to which all sorts of decisions are made which impact the lives and rights and obligations of individuals in Canada.

And this is where it gets really complicated.

And this is where we have Rocco Galati to thank.

I do mean thank. Galati has been due plenty of criticism and more than occasionally this gadfly can be godawful. But one of the most important decisions resulting from Galati's gadfly challenges is the oft referenced and profoundly important Baker case (this is the case that might be said to have established Galati's career and makes him relevant), which radically revised what is necessary to satisfy procedural fairness requirements in the government's making of administrative decisions, and established a widely adopted and still followed baseline for what constitutes procedural fairness in Canadian law and bureaucratic decision-making. Any substantial analysis of this subject demands at least taking Baker and subsequent jurisprudence, such as in the oft cited Dunsmuir v. New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9 (CanLII) and Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ cases (all three should link), into account.

Once again I have wandered deep into the weeds, and without reaching much if any destination.

But for now, suffice it to separate, with emphasis, idealistic musings about what Canadian law should be in so far as what is the nature of citizenship, versus what would constitute a legitimate adjudication of revocation under Canadian law. It would be reasonable to do so accepting the premise that the Bill C-24 procedure does not afford procedural fairness, as Judge Gagné has concluded, thus ruling those provisions inoperative. To be clear, however, there is no hint that the American version of due process will be required; that is not on the agenda, not even on a distant horizon in terms of what will constitute a legitimate decision-making process for revoking citizenship in Canada.

My guess is that the procedure proposed in the Senate amendment will be adopted and implemented, and proceedings to revoke citizenship under those provisions are likely to be upheld as legitimate. In the meantime, that is likely to mean that this decision is held in abeyance pending the legislation, and it might never actually be implemented. (This decision could end up in limbo much like Galati's challenge of Bill C-24 which was denied by then FC Justice Rennie . . . which has been in limbo pending Bill C-6.)

Natan

May 22, 2015
I am not sure which approach is being applauded here, above, though it appears the latter, the idealistic rather than analytical one.
I intended my comment to be idealistic, rather than analytical. My intended use of the word "legitimacy" was intended to mean legitimate solely in my eyes, and not in any legal sense of the word. (As in, "A democratic government tends to have more legitimacy in the eyes of its citizens than a despotic tyranny.")

I do mean thank. Galati has been due plenty of criticism and more than occasionally this gadfly can be godawful. But one of the most important decisions resulting from Galati's gadfly challenges...
I must confess to being partial to gadflies (Socrates of Athens comes to mind). I, too, have appreciated Galati's work, especially as regards his challenges to C-24.

There is NO general constitutional right to "due process" in Canada.
I was not aware of this. I am grateful to you for going into such detail on this topic. It is an interesting subject I intend to study further.

My strong belief in due process comes largely from the American experience. American governments, and their agents, are often enormously corrupt. Instead of combatting that corruption head-on, American jurisprudence has chosen to counterbalance that corruption with strong due process guarantees. (For many Americans, the problem with the 14th Amendment is not its due process guarantees, but rather how the term "person" has been interpreted by the courts to include entities such as corporations.)

My concern with due process is mostly philosophical, inasmuch as I strongly believe that all those who face criminal charges and/or deprivation of important rights or privileges (e.g., citizenship) should be: innocent until proven guilty; have the right to face their accusers and review the evidence against them in an open forum; have easy access to legal remedies and remediations; have the right to be judged before an impartial tribunal; have a right to redress such judgements through a fair and easily accessible appeals process; and be given every opportunity to prove either their innocence or the unfairness/unconstitutionality of the prosecution of the law as applied to their case.

It may be that Canada lacks a level of government corruption to warrant such heightened guarantees; and that I have been unduly influenced by the American political experience, which tends to sow distrust of governmental power.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
To Dpenabill: I think we are all intelligent enough to know the difference between ought and is, or noumena and phenomena if you want to use the Kantian language. Nevertheless, this doesn't stop someone from having an opinion about what the law REALLY IS or what it should require (which is not exactly the same as saying what it should be in an idealistic sense) that might differ from what the competent judicial authorities have said it is.

On "due process": Legal scholars often talk about due process I general terms even if the specific language has been most relevant in US jurisprudence. Canada has due process as well, of which procedural fairness in administrative law is one manifestation.

However, another issue that comes into consideration is the issue of "democratic norms." In other words, what should be the set of institutional and procedural rules and protections that at the minimum render a particular polity a "democratic society governed by the rule of law." Clearly, citizenship stripping without a hearing violates that all day everyday. Does citizenship stripping without a presumption of innocence and before a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt? For myself and Natan, it does.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Any update if government response back for federal court or appeal ?
It is unlikely there will be any indication whether the Minister will appeal, or not, before the end of June. And perhaps there will be little or no news about this then . . . except that in the meantime it is possible that the effect of this case is rendered moot if Bill C-6 receives Royal Assent and the adopted version includes the Senate's amendment revising the revocation procedure.

The Court's decision is specifically suspended for a period of sixty days, so on its face it has no effect until July 10 at the earliest, and the ruling explicitly provides the court leeway to allow further delay in effecting the decision. The latter may be about allowing the case to go into limbo pending the outcome of the pending amendment to Bill C-6, or pending other legislative proposals to provide an alternative process. (This could happen pursuant to an appeal as well, which is what has happened to the Galati challenge to Bill C-24's revocation for certain crimes provision, the litigation itself in limbo pending Bill C-6 which includes provisions to repeal those parts of the current Citizenship Act.)

The problem is that the ruling renders inoperative provisions which are necessary for anyone's citizenship to be revoked for misrepresentation. And there are scores of cases still in-the-hopper, so to say, derived from the anti-fraud crackdown the Harper government began in 2009 and was still pursuing at full speed until the 2015 election. Many of those cases are cases which it is likely the Liberal government is also intending to pursue. Which is to say, it appears likely that there are still many citizens from whom the current government intends to strip citizenship on the grounds of fraud.

This decision is NOT going to stop that process. At most it will delay it. For some of those affected by this particular decision, for example, they will have won a battle but still face the prospect of eventually losing their citizenship.

What the decision means, ultimately, is that the government will need to implement fair procedures for revoking citizenship. It does not mean the government will not be able to revoke citizenship for misrepresentation.

So one of the directions things may go from here is that this decision is in limbo until the government revises the procedure, and then the government agrees to drop these cases but at the same time commences revocation proceedings (pursuant to new procedures) against one or more of these parties, as the government determines is warranted. In which case, we may never see much further news about this particular case.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Thanks quasar81 for this INSANELY WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To say that I'm overjoyed and on a "sugar high" :D right now would be an understatement.

Yes, indeed, the BCCLA are the biggest heroes of all time in my eyes!! I applaud them and thank them from the BOTTOM OF MY HEART for this effort. I will write them a personal note of thanks and I encourage everyone to do so. They need to know that a huge swath of populace supports the good work they do!! Frankly, I had heard about their lawsuit, but did not think too much of it because of my understanding that the Federal Court in Canada, as opposed to our Circuit Courts here in the US, are generally loathe to wade into legislation and "change it" (or maybe my perception is misplaced? ...at least it was in this instance, which was a very pleasant surprise)

Now although I've been fiercely advocating for Sen. Omidvar's amendment in the senate with regards to this grave issue, my preferred method of resolving this, was through the courts, declaring that it is PATENTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL to revoke someone's citizenship on ANY grounds without affording that individual the HIGHEST level of due process with a VERY high burden of proof by the government!!

Finally, this decision will set a precedent and will resolve this issue FOREVER, where no future government can "legislate away" constitutional safeguards that are part of a citizen's right (no matter if that citizen is naturalized or natural born). As another forum member "marcher" correctly pointed out in another thread, legislation brought in under the current administration can be easily undone, if a future Trump-like fascist rogue government takes hold in Canada (not hard to imagine how that could play out, considering that it is on full display right now in the US, with the firing of director of the FBI, James Comey, as POLITICAL RETRIBUTION for investigating them!!).

Citizenship is such a precious right, that it should NEVER EVER be subject to being taken away on a "whim and a fancy". And that is exactly what C-24 allowed. I'm glad the courts recognized this insanity!! To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying that the right to citizenship is, in and of itself, absolute. Revocation of a naturalized citizen's citizenship is allowed in virtually all countries if fraud was involved in obtaining it (or if some very SERIOIUS offenses were committed). However most countries (including the US) make it EXTREMELY difficult to revoke it. The standard of proof is very very high (as it should be) and the burden of proof is ALWAYS on the government to prove their case!!

For instance, in the US, while green cards can be revoked for many reasons (sometimes done even for things like a DUI), the government still has the burden of proof!! It is only BEFORE an immigrant obtains an immigration benefit, does the applicant bear the burden of proof (in case they are accused of something). And here's the kicker: even in these circumstances the immigrant mostly has the right to appeal the decision of officers and lower courts (such as the BIA), all the way to the circuit courts (technically the Supreme Court, but it rarely hears appeals, unless they are of national importance, so for practical purposes the circuit courts are the last stop).

Wow, this is indeed the best news ever! I can sleep at night now! To some this may seem like an overblown reaction, but as someone who was mostly raised in the US (even though I'm of Indian ethnicity), growing up we're taught to be suspicious of everything, and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I don't however take it to the extreme like the "gun-nuts" who think they need their AK-47s because the government will come for them in the middle of the night, and they need to defend themselves :rolleyes: .......but saying things like "if you've not done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" should sound absurd to any sane person, unless you've been brainwashed into thinking that your "fuhrers" :rolleyes: will always do the right thing!!
Holy crap this was hilarious, and not in a good way.

Natan

May 22, 2015
Holy crap this was hilarious, and not in a good way.
Having, myself, experience with the threat of loss of citizenship as a form of government coercion, loss of citizenship through legislative fiat, statelessness, deportation, living without [permanent] residence status for decades, and living in exile for many years, I find nothing "hilarious" about 747-captain's post. I find myself in agreement with the sentiment he expresses!

Last edited:

Sam71h

May 26, 2017
Now C6 in discussion , what will happen to people have cases similar under federal decision and under similar cases within federal court

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
There is little doubt about the current government's stance since just yesterday Minister Hussen stated, on the floor of the HoC, that the system Harper implemented is "charter compliant."

Which ignores or dodges the Canadian Bill of Rights issue. Regarding which, as far as I could see, all the Minister was willing to say was that the current government is "open to listening to others and having them contribute to our efforts to ensure greater and enhanced procedural fairness in the citizenship revocation model." (For what that is worth, this being essentially what then Minister McCallum said about MP Kwan's private member's Bill to repeal the draconian provision allowing for refugee PRs to have their PR status terminated for merely obtaining a home country passport, which many had been ill-advised to do to facilitate applying for citizenship).

This statement was attendant yesterday's discussion about particular details in the Senate's proposed amendment to Bill C-6, and more particularly the further amendments likely to be adopted today by the HoC, regarding the Section 10 Citizenship Act revocation procedures.

Leading to:

Now C6 in discussion , what will happen to people have cases similar under federal decision and under similar cases within federal court
For naturalized citizens who have not had revocation proceedings against them started, if (which really does mean IF) Bill C-6 is adopted and becomes law (there is still no guarantee this will happen, although it is likely), and if, IF the gist of the Senate amendment (to re-establish a referral to the Federal Court for review prior to revocation decision) is still included in the final version, the newly adopted procedures will apply to any who the government decides to proceed against.

For those who have received a notice to revoke their citizenship but where a final decision has not yet been made, Minister Hussen stated they will be able to "opt to take part in the proposed revocation model."

While there is no reason to doubt the Minister in this regard, to a significant respect this in part assumes that IRCC is NOT proceeding to finalize any of these cases pending the adoption and implementation of these changes. Note, for example, that even assuming these changes are adopted and become law, they will not take effect immediately but will come into force some time later as ordered by the Governor in Council (Minister Hussen so stated, and of course this makes sense because it would take the government time to implement the revised procedures).

Cases pending in Federal Court; cases involved in Justice Gagne decision:

As discussed in previous posts, and again IF (which really does mean IF) Bill C-6 is adopted and becomes law, and if, IF the gist of the Senate amendment (to re-establish a referral to the Federal Court for review prior to revocation decision) is still included in the final version, that will probably be deemed to render moot most (perhaps all) of the existing Federal Court cases about pending and prospective revocations.

This is merely probable since the changes (if adopted) will apparently, again, allow those involved to "opt to take part in the proposed revocation model." For those with Federal Court cases pending, and those who are parties to the decision by Justice Gagne who have been issued notice, I do not know Canadian law anywhere near well enough to guess if some could, in contrast, instead OPT to pursue the case as is, or even if they can, whether they would (as opposed to opting to follow the new procedure as adopted by the amendments to Bill C-6).

Lots of contingencies writ large in that observation. Too many too big IF this or that conditionals, to warrant an abstract analysis considering that it is likely the HoC will conclude its version of the Bill today to be sent back to the Senate, and the Senate is likely to conclude whether to accept the HoC changes by the end of month (by the last day before the summer break).

That is, once there is a final version, which should happen soon (and if it does not, that would put the future of Bill C-6 on hold with some real uncertainty as to its ultimate disposition), it will make more sense to analyze what the revisions mean.

A little about what we do know:

It is clear that even the Liberal government gives citizenship a rather slight value for the individual. Minister Hussen describes the proposed amendment as providing "greater and enhanced procedural fairness in the citizenship revocation model," as if to emphasize that the current system is quite OK, procedurally fair.

That noted, without unravelling the various amendments of amendments, it does appear that the HoC version will better assure a Federal Court referral, perhaps more so than did the Citizenship Act prior to Harper's Bill C-24 changes. But there will still be no right of appeal of the final decision by the Minister, only an opportunity to seek leave for judicial review.

Regarding effect of revocation:

Reminder: misrepresentation at any step of the process in immigrating to Canada can support grounds for revoking citizenship.

Basically, if the revocation is based on fraud or misrepresentation in the process of becoming a PR, then the revocation of citizenship will result in the person becoming a Foreign National.

If the revocation is based on fraud or misrepresentation specifically in the process of becoming a citizen (such as false statements about time in Canada, place of residence in Canada or such, or misrepresentation relevant to possible prohibitions), then revocation takes away citizenship and the individual reverts to being a PR. In this case, that PR will be eligible to reapply for citizenship only after 10 years have passed (assuming all other requirements are met).

Sam71h

May 26, 2017
Thanks so based on yesterday vote what will the update for people have pending cases with federal court

Sam71h

May 26, 2017
So today Bill 6 become a law how this will effect the clause action in the federal court and will be active

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bill C-6 revises the procedure for revoking citizenship based on fraud. Date this comes into force, however, is not yet determined.

This in large part means that the decision by Justice Gagne is moot . . . however, it is still binding on the government relative to the particular parties involved, unless the government appeals. There is no sign the government will appeal. Comments made during the last HoC discussion about Bill C-6 suggested the government will not appeal.

There are some open questions, still, as to the impact on other persons who have already been sent the letter (the letter to inform them that the government is revoking their citizenship). Such persons are entitled to the new procedure but only if they make a proper and timely demand. Probably best to wait to see the precise language in the Citizenship Act as amended before addressing this further, but I do wonder if the changes provide sufficient fair procedure for these particular individuals.